gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:46:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jan & Dean's Version of 'Norwegian Wood'  (Read 1349 times)
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2021, 11:45:36 AM »

Do any Beach Boys perform on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KOoQh_ZUW4&ab_channel=Jan%26Dean-Topic
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 03:44:11 PM »

Nope, but the session musicians that played for Brian are on it.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 05:19:18 PM »

Some of the AFM documentation for Jan & Dean’s version of “Norwegian Wood” appears to be missing or misplaced. I could not find the contracts for the initial sessions in December 1965. But I do have them for the March 1966 sessions. Jan tinkered a lot with this track, working on different versions.

Musicians and engineers listed on the contracts include: Jan Berry (leader); Hal Blaine (double scale); Chuck Britz; Glen Campbell; Gary Coleman; Henry Lewy; Don Peake (2 Doubles); Ray Pohlman (1 Double); Julius Wechter (1 Double)

The instrumentation featured Guitars 1–2, Bass Guitar [Danelectro 6-string], Bass, Drums, Percussion [Vibraphone, Marimba, Chimes, Tambourine], and Horns [Trumpet, Trombone, Saxophone].

That's Don Peake playing the signature riff with an electric 12-string.

The guitar chart specified two electric 12-string guitars assigned to “Tom” and “Don” (Tommy Tedesco and Don Peake).

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 08:01:38 AM »

Some of the AFM documentation for Jan & Dean’s version of “Norwegian Wood” appears to be missing or misplaced. I could not find the contracts for the initial sessions in December 1965. But I do have them for the March 1966 sessions. Jan tinkered a lot with this track, working on different versions.

Musicians and engineers listed on the contracts include: Jan Berry (leader); Hal Blaine (double scale); Chuck Britz; Glen Campbell; Gary Coleman; Henry Lewy; Don Peake (2 Doubles); Ray Pohlman (1 Double); Julius Wechter (1 Double)

The instrumentation featured Guitars 1–2, Bass Guitar [Danelectro 6-string], Bass, Drums, Percussion [Vibraphone, Marimba, Chimes, Tambourine], and Horns [Trumpet, Trombone, Saxophone].

That's Don Peake playing the signature riff with an electric 12-string.

The guitar chart specified two electric 12-string guitars assigned to “Tom” and “Don” (Tommy Tedesco and Don Peake).

Was Jan's tinkering via overdubs or did he do an entire re-record?

Also, Mark, I have some questions for you - would you mind getting in touch through a private message?
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 01:16:37 PM »

Joshilyn . . . Tried to send a private message, but this site returned an error twice. Did not go through.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »

Joshilyn . . . Tried to send a private message, but this site returned an error twice. Did not go through.

Ain't that just the way.  Try the other board?  I'll write you there.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx