gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:07:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Today's Wall Street Journal article re: Irving Azoff's new artist legacy company  (Read 1630 times)
John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:00:13 AM »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-a-longtime-music-executive-is-trying-to-protect-artists-legacies-11626523203?mod=searchresults_pos1&page=1

In the article:

WSJ: What does legacy management look like at Iconic?

mr. azoff: On the Beach Boys, they haven’t gotten along well. It’s been famously chronicled, but we think we’re the glue that’s now getting them to get along well, and we think over the past decade of fighting that there were a lot of missed opportunities. They are the American Beatles, and they don’t get recognized as that. We’re going to start with this documentary, and then their 60th anniversary is next year. We have planned a tribute concert that we film and we’ve sold to a major network. There’ll be everything from a Sirius XM channel, to traveling exhibits of all their memorabilia. There have been multiple offers for a feature movie, a biopic. Those are some examples of the things that on their own they wouldn’t have accomplished, because they weren’t able to manage their business.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 08:40:04 PM »

I'm not thrilled with a tribute concert as the centerpiece of the big 6-0, but no one can dispute the truth of what he says here about the BBs' infighting stunting their opportunities.  I wish him and them well and look forward to seeing what they do.
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 06:12:46 AM »

They are the American Beatles

Speaking as both an Englishman and a BB superfan, I'd have to say I'm more prone to think of the Beatles as the British Beach Boys. And that's a compliment.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 08:51:19 AM »

The point of framing it as "American Beatles" is to convince the 99% of people (including most of the actual Beach Boys) who consider the Beatles as the gold standard that the Beach Boys are *that* too, they're the American version of that.

Decades of being on "Full House" and playing rib cook-offs and releasing "Problem Child" and "Summer in Paradise" have kept this idea from sinking in.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 10:50:09 AM »

Personally I think the Beach Boys are the Beach Boys and the Beatles are the Beatles. I don't see the need to constantly mention the Beatles so you have an excuse to like the Beach Boys. Murry's Boys are good enough to stand on their own.

I can't believe that tribute shows are still a thing. Especially considering that imo there aren't enough names out there anymore that I would be interested in dong their version of a Beach Boys song.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 05:40:42 PM »

I can't believe that tribute shows are still a thing. Especially considering that imo there aren't enough names out there anymore that I would be interested in dong their version of a Beach Boys song.

Exactly. I don’t know what a suitable acknowledgement would be today but I doubt a tribute show is it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 06:35:18 AM »

Personally I think the Beach Boys are the Beach Boys and the Beatles are the Beatles. I don't see the need to constantly mention the Beatles so you have an excuse to like the Beach Boys. Murry's Boys are good enough to stand on their own.

Certainly I don't think anyone who would be frequenting this board would need to be pitched the BBs as "the American Beatles", but others might need that pitching, and I'm not opposed to framing it that way if it convinces *more* people of the importance of the band and their music. And I have to say in some cases it's the *band members themselves* who need to be pitched on this in this fashion.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 08:08:57 AM »

Certainly I don't think anyone who would be frequenting this board would need to be pitched the BBs as "the American Beatles", but others might need that pitching, and I'm not opposed to framing it that way if it convinces *more* people of the importance of the band and their music. And I have to say in some cases it's the *band members themselves* who need to be pitched on this in this fashion.

This was kind of a subliminal point I was trying to touch on but couldn't really put into words in this thread recently: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27817.0.html

What ran through my mind reading that list was basically, what are The Beach Boys doing on this list with the majority of those artists being mostly unknown acts to the general public, newer up-and-comers, or stand-up comedians? It's hard not to bring it back to C50 in 2012 to think that was one of the last times the shows being reported on and the venues being played were in tune with the place in history this band and their music holds (or should hold). Selling out arenas and leaving people ecstatic and sometimes weeping with joy at the shows with tens of thousands of other fans around them, and generating good press and renewed interest from the industry...that's fitting.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx