gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680776 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 03:36:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Completion of Cabinessence in 1968. A request for Stephen Desper's recollections  (Read 1577 times)
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2021, 06:50:52 AM »

I know Stephen Desper has given some information over the years regarding the completion of this track, namely that Brian was involved only insomuch as offering  some guidance to Carl. I would love to know more about this guidance, especially regarding the vocal line and lyrics which formed the major part of the completion.

As far as I'm aware, there has never been any doubt that the lyrics and melody are of 1966 vintage. Did Brian remember the lyrics, or were they preserved in note form? I'm presuming that Brian's guidance also involved teaching Carl the melody.

Dennis's 'truck driving man' vocal is even more fascinating, delivered as a chant and also presented way back in the mix. Was this also under Brian's guidance? With no disrespect to the other Beach Boys, this performance / mixing decision seems so left-field that it just has to be part of Brian's original intent.

I would love to hear Stephen's recollections of these sessions, and I apologise in advance if this has been discussed by him before. I would also love to know if he recollects hearing any other Smile material which has since gone missing. The story about the Heroes and Villains session Brian undertook long after Smile's abandonment is tantalising, especially as Brian then wiped the tape.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 06:53:37 AM by Greg Parry » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 09:42:00 AM »

As far as I'm aware, there has never been any doubt that the lyrics and melody are of 1966 vintage. Did Brian remember the lyrics, or were they preserved in note form?

In addition to (1) memory and (2) written notes, another possibility would be (3) a long lost audio demo from 1966.

In my opinion, the most likely is probably (2) written notes, but who knows at this point?     One of the things that's always bugged me about Smile "scholarship," is the matter-of-fact nature of the' opinions of many Smile "scholars" about what existed or didn't exist.  Some folks will tell you with great certainty that "there were never vocals recorded for X" or "Brian and Van Dyke never wrote lyrics for Y."    The truth is that all we know is what's surfaced and what the participants remember. And neither of those things are comprehensive.  That fact has been proven over and over again.  For example, for 3+ decades, AFAIK no one ever mentioned the lyrics of "I'm in Great Shape," claimed to have heard them or said that there was audio of them.  And then the Humble Harv demo surfaced.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »

I’m not a Smile expert, so I have a couple questions for Greg Parry and juggler

I would love to hear Stephen's recollections of these sessions, and I apologise in advance if this has been discussed by him before. I would also love to know if he recollects hearing any other Smile material which has since gone missing. The story about the Heroes and Villains session Brian undertook long after Smile's abandonment is tantalising, especially as Brian then wiped the tape.

When did this later H&V session take place? I know Brian briefly revisited it during the Cocaine Sessions, IIRC. Is that way you’re referring to?

As far as I'm aware, there has never been any doubt that the lyrics and melody are of 1966 vintage. Did Brian remember the lyrics, or were they preserved in note form?

One of the things that's always bugged me about Smile "scholarship," is the matter-of-fact nature of the' opinions of many Smile "scholars" about what existed or didn't exist.  Some folks will tell you with great certainty that "there were never vocals recorded for X" or "Brian and Van Dyke never wrote lyrics for Y."    The truth is that all we know is what's surfaced and what the participants remember. And neither of those things are comprehensive.  That fact has been proven over and over again.  For example, for 3+ decades, AFAIK no one ever mentioned the lyrics of "I'm in Great Shape," claimed to have heard them or said that there was audio of them.  And then the Humble Harv demo surfaced.

What is the Humble Harv demo, please?

Thanks!!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 02:53:40 PM »

Brian (and Van Dyke) previewing Heroes & Villains (w/ Barnyard & I'm in Great Shape) for disc jockey Humble Harve Miller of KHJ radio on 11/4/1966.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ-7VV_-lPI
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 03:04:29 PM »

I’m not a Smile expert, so I have a couple questions for Greg Parry and juggler

When did this later H&V session take place? I know Brian briefly revisited it during the Cocaine Sessions, IIRC. Is that way you’re referring to?

One of the things that's always bugged me about Smile "scholarship," is the matter-of-fact nature of the' opinions of many Smile "scholars" about what existed or didn't exist.  Some folks will tell you with great certainty that "there were never vocals recorded for X" or "Brian and Van Dyke never wrote lyrics for Y."    The truth is that all we know is what's surfaced and what the participants remember. And neither of those things are comprehensive.  That fact has been proven over and over again.  For example, for 3+ decades, AFAIK no one ever mentioned the lyrics of "I'm in Great Shape," claimed to have heard them or said that there was audio of them.  And then the Humble Harv demo surfaced.

Thanks!!

Stephen recounted a solo Brian session where he threw down (in quick succession) about eight vocal tracks of complex harmony based on the H&V verse(?) It was apparently stunning.  He then instructed Stephen to wipe the tape. This tale is solely from my memory, so I may be wrong on these details.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 03:18:59 PM by Greg Parry » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx