gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:54:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love "At the shore"  (Read 1801 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2006, 05:36:43 AM »

Taken from the BBBriatain board. Originally posted by "Shark"

Wildwood welcomes the legendary band
By ERIC FINE For At The Shore, (609) 272-7017
The Beach Boys can be summed up in this way: And then there were two. Singer Mike Love and multi-instrumentalist Bruce Johnston have carried the torch for this legendary Southern California band since 1998. At first glance, the gig would seem bittersweet. After all, songwriter Brian Wilson stopped touring in 1964, Wilson's brothers Dennis and Carl have died, and Al Jardine is no longer in the fold.
But Love has his own perspective on the current edition of the band, which performed roughly 170 dates last year. It is rooted in the songs rather than the musicians.

“We're used to change since the beginning,” Love said Sunday in a telephone interview from a tour stop in Long Island, N.Y. “But the constant is that the music is so great. And the songs are so great and the performances — we have some excellent musicianship out here.”

Love and Johnston will lead an eight-piece band on Sunday, Sept. 3, at the Wildwoods Convention Center. The repertoire includes several decades worth of Beach Boys' songs (“Help Me Rhonda,” “Fun, Fun, Fun,” “Surfin' Safari,” “I Get Around,” “California Girls,” etc.) Sophisticated vocal harmonies coupled with simple lyrics established the Beach Boys.
Yet a dark side lurked beneath the “good vibrations” of the Beach Boys' light fare. Brian Wilson composed the music for some of the group's most celebrated songs and albums, but stopped performing because of a variety of psychological problems. Dennis Wilson had serious substance-abuse problems. On the business side, Love — who wrote the lyrics to a significant number of the songs — won a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the band in the 1990s to recoup royalties.

However, Love, a first cousin of the Wilson brothers, said the acrimony is pretty much in the past. He and Brian Wilson still talk about collaborating on some new songs. As for the present, Love is preparing to release his first solo album in 25 years. Love gives the sidemen backing Johnston and himself high marks.

“The thing about music is that as long as you have a great musician playing and singing those parts,” Love said, “you can replicate those songs.”

Speaking of the band's turnover through the years, Love compared the plight of the Beach Boys to bands like Chicago that have also lost important musicians. “So, yeah, it's just nature,” he said. “Change is inevitable in life.”

Mike Love on the Beach Boys

On his relationship with Brian Wilson: My relationship with Brian Wilson is not as bad as one would think. He and I together have created some great music, and we have a lot of love and respect for each other. It's the people that have misguided Brian and misinformed people as to my contribution to the group that have, I think, made it appear like there's this huge schism there. But there isn't.

On the loss of Dennis and Carl Wilson: Well, we expected Dennis to die before he did because he was a wild man. He was addicted to alcohol and some drugs, and he would go into rehab for like a night and then leave. (As for) Carl, that's a tragedy. He was an excellent singer. I mean, nobody could sing better than him. In fact, it was in Atlantic City that was his last performance with us.

Very nice. "We expected Dennis to die. Carl's death was a tragedy"
Well, maybe he didn't mean it the way it sounds.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »

"we expected Dennis to die before he did"

That reads to me, "he lasted longer than we expected". Maybe not as bad as you think.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 02:26:37 PM »

I didn't mean to bash Mike. It just sounds like "Oh we expected Dennis to die earlier, but (!) Carl's death was tragic"
You know what I mean?
I have no trouble believing that Mike and Dennis, besides everything, loved each other and Mike still does.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »

Ok. Maybe it was because Dennis was quick and not unexpected given his lifestyle while Carls was drawn out. Stories at the time talked of a recovery for Carl but this was not meant to be. Keep in mind also he had given up smoking quite a few years before so this was out of the blue.

Smokin Cool Guy  By the way.Not cool admin.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 04:40:12 PM »

repertoire includes several decades worth of Beach Boys' songs (“Help Me Rhonda,” “Fun, Fun, Fun,” “Surfin' Safari,” “I Get Around,” “California Girls,” etc.)

I love how it says "several decades", then goes on to mention a string of songs recorded within a few years of each other.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 06:07:23 PM »

repertoire includes several decades worth of Beach Boys' songs (“Help Me Rhonda,” “Fun, Fun, Fun,” “Surfin' Safari,” “I Get Around,” “California Girls,” etc.)

I love how it says "several decades", then goes on to mention a string of songs recorded within a few years of each other.

That's exactly what I thought when I read it, Aegir- I went through and said " '65, '64, '62, '64, '65."  It would have been easy for the writer to throw in "Kokomo", and I'm sure there's something in the set from the seventies to make his point better.

I didn't construe the Dennis comment badly- it read to me as meaning that Dennis' situation seemed inevitable while Carl's didn't.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx