gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:00:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys channel is coming back to SiriusXM  (Read 8157 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2021, 04:58:24 PM »

Three years ago, the song that drove me crazy with the repeated, multi-times a day play was "When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)". I mean, I once cherished that song, but grew to despise it, after 3-5 helpings a day (I've grown quite fond of it again, since). Over on The Beatles channel, it was the damn "Walrus" song ad naseum at first. Eventually, it became "Rocky Raccoon" that hit the over-saturation point. Ugh.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »

Somebody at SiriusXM really, really likes "The Surfer Moon."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2021, 04:52:46 PM »

Hahha I recall Surfer Moon  getting a ton of air play in 18 too. Do It Again and In My Room are the ones that I manage to keep tuning into . I also head Ride the Wild Surf with out the lead vocal , only the backing track which was super weird. I have heard almost the entire KTSA album now ( Except for Oh Darlin) . I wish they would mix in more from In Concert and Knebworth(I’ve only heard Sloop from it ). It was great hearing Do You Wanna Dance from Al’s live album today !
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2021, 03:01:11 PM »

Listened on my 35 minute drive home today and heard things like "Your Summer Dream," "Love is a Woman," and "My Love Lives On."

Of course they also sprinkle in "Little Deuce Coupe" and "You're So Good To Me," but that's expected and fine.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 03:02:30 PM by TV Forces » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2021, 04:57:39 PM »

Got some great Tunes today including rock and roll to the rescue and good timin back-to-back. And then a Dennis Wilson back-to-back play with forever and do you want to dance. Pretty cool for my 35 minutes on today
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2021, 06:32:32 PM »

Never thought that I would get tired of Susie Cincinnati. But can’t count how many times I’ve heard it over the past few days.

But all is good - playing Kiss Me Baby now

Playing Mt Vernon and Fairway!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 08:49:30 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2021, 10:34:00 AM »

It's great that SiriusXM brought back this station and how they're not afraid to dig deep with the track listing.  However I have to admit I get quickly fatigued by this station after only a few minutes of listening to it.  Not sure what it is.  Maybe it's the jarring track listing that jumps all over the place.  One minute you're listening to an extremely early track like "Stoked" followed by something off of TWGMTR.  Or maybe it's because I keep hearing the same tracks over and over again (I'm looking at you, "Help Me Rhonda").  Or maybe it's the fact that I've heard most of these songs so many times before in my life that I've become desensitized to them.  Not trying to complain though; I just think this station works best for me in small doses. Anybody else feel this way?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:34:31 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2021, 11:41:55 AM »

I'm surprised by the variety of songs from Summer in Paradise that are being played.  I knew Forever would be in rotation due to John Stamos' participation, but I've heard Island Fever and Summer of Love more than once during my drive time.  Pisces Brothers came on last night on my way home from work as well.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »

Anybody who has heard Celebration material on the station, how does it sound? Vinyl sourced? Cuz as far as I know, only "Almost Summer" has made a digital appearance, on a pretty rare compilation CD.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2021, 11:01:46 AM »

I just heard 'Orange Crate Art". Wow. That's deep. Great job!

I hope they make this channel permanent. They could have everyone take 'guest D.J.' turns. I'm sure Brian, Al, Mike, David, and Bruce would enjoy playing records that had a influence on them as well as their favorite BB songs.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2021, 04:08:02 PM »

Listened practically nonstop today.  Yeah, there's some repetition issues, which I hear now that I've listened for a few hours straight through.  First, on Saturday I heard Back Home 1970 and You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone, both for the first time ever, and I definitely enjoyed both, especially YNAMOHTSA which kicks ass.  Also on Saturday, I heard Honkin' Down the Highway, followed by a promo for "2 in a Row" from Love You and then heard I'll Bet He's Nice and then All Summer Long.  Someone must have messed up the queue.  ASL is one I, ironically, hear a ton on the station; I  haven't heard The Surfer Moon yet, I don't believe.

Anything marked with an asterisk is I believe my first time hearing that song.

Celebration - Gettin' Hungry - no album cover - *
Hushabye
BTTYS (Single Version) - LDC album cover
Strange Things Happen - *
Priscilla Presley promo
Rock and Roll Music - maybe hot mix but I'm not positive - no album cover
The Trader (73 Clarkston) - Holland cover
Don't Back Down (I believe normal version) - ASL cover
California Girls
Break Away - " (Demo)" - Brian vocal with -partial backing track - *
Bruce promo - discussing Dennis and his suits
Forever
Surfin' USA
California Calling
All Summer Long
Al Jardine - Looking Down the Coast (LDTC/Monterrey) - *(?)
DDD
This Whole World
Mike speaks about Roger Christian
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Caroline, No (73 Richmond) - PS cover - personal debut? unless this is the version from 73 IC, which I may have heard once or twice.
Brian discusses writing and recording WIBN
WIBN
You're So Good To Me - no cover
Darlin'
Bruce & Terry - I Love You Model "T" - *
Marilyn Wilson talks about Brian's voice and TWOTS
TWOTS - twofer cover
Sail On Sailor - I have never noticed the Moog buildup at the end until now.  What kind of a superfan am I?  LOL
In My Car -- YEEEEESSSSSS!!! I like this one too much.
Sloop John B
Soul Searchin'
California Saga: The Beaks of Eagles - *
WIGUTBAM
YSBIM - 1993 NYC - PS cover - *
H&V 45 version - from GV box set, based on the cover used
David Marks promo - guitar and covering
In My Room
Chasin' the Sky
I Can Hear Music
Dennis Wilson - River Song - *
Al Jardine talks about vocal arrangements
Fallin' In Love - * - from the Summer Love Songs comp
Don't Worry Baby
Surf's Up - no album cvoer
Mike/Bruce/Adrian Baker/absent David Marks - 409 - NASCAR - no cover
Peggy Sue
Joe from Wisconsin promo
Shut Down
promo featuring Brian discussing vocal arrangements and Lady Lynda intro?
Girl Don't Tell Me
Gene Simmons promo about Brian's arranging/producing
GV 45 version from GV box set
Funky Pretty
Barbara Ann - long version - undubbed?, uses 2015 cover
Dean Torrence talks about surfing
Catch A Wave
Pitter Patter - *
Surfin' Safari
Lady Lynda (80 Knebworth) - LA cover
DIA album version/Workshop - Stack-O-Tracks cover
Kokomo - Philharmonic version - SC cover
Al talking about Brian's gifts and burden
Let Him Run Wild
FFF - stereo mix - SG twofer cover
Sweet Sunday Kind of Love - specifically labeled Sweet Sunday
LDC
Carl Wilson - Time
DW on GOK - *
GOK
Some of Your Love
Marcella
TWGMTR live - album cover TWGMTR - not sure if this is the version from the 2013 live album
Disney Girls
Don Randi on the lyrics - *
I Get Around
Cherry Cherry Coupe
Break Away
Mike on re-recording Help Me Rhonda
HMR
Cuckoo Clock
ASL
South Bay Surfer
Brian on release of Surfin'
Surfin'
DDD
Wendy (64 Sacramento)
Bruce on Brian retiring from touring
Don't Go Near the Water
WIBN
The Nearest Faraway Place
Surfer Girl
Land ahoy - Rarities cover - *
California Girls
County Fair
Drive In
Mike Love and Hanson - It's OK (no cover photo)
Hey Little Tomboy
Ben from Michigan
Sail On Sailor
Getcha Back
Mike on Surfin' and its release
Surfin' USA
Brian Wilson - Back Home (00 West Hollywood) - *

Anybody who has heard Celebration material on the station, how does it sound? Vinyl sourced? Cuz as far as I know, only "Almost Summer" has made a digital appearance, on a pretty rare compilation CD.
I heard Celebration's Gettin' Hungry today.  Sounded okay to me, but I was listening on a computer without headphones or proper speakers.  And it was also the first time I had ever heard it so I can't really be of much help unfortunately.  I have only listened to versions of Almost Summer, Cruisin, and disco California Girls on YouTube, in varying quality.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2021, 04:49:55 PM »

They're playing Celebration's "Gettin' Hungry" right now.  Definitely from vinyl;  noticeable crackles,  etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »

Also on Saturday, I heard Honkin' Down the Highway, followed by a promo for "2 in a Row" from Love You and then heard I'll Bet He's Nice and then All Summer Long.  Someone must have messed up the queue. 

They stick the "2 in a row" bumper in between the two songs from the album in question, same as 2018. I gather it's a "you just heard one from that album, and we're doing a 2-in-a-row, and here's the second one" sort of thing.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2021, 01:02:59 PM »

Wow, they're going really deep into the BB back catalog....

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2021, 01:05:03 PM »

And now it's "Doo Wah Diddy Diddy" by Manfred Mann followed by a track by OutKast.

Somebody flipped the wrong switch over there at SiriusXM.

Or, they abruptly canceled the channel!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 01:07:26 PM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2021, 01:09:31 PM »

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2021, 01:18:36 PM »

They're playing Celebration's "Gettin' Hungry" right now.  Definitely from vinyl;  noticeable crackles,  etc.

Don't forget that the Celebration material has never appeared on CD or other digital form (other than Boots)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2021, 02:33:36 PM »

Is the channel still playing non-BB-related music?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2021, 03:37:12 PM »

Is the channel still playing non-BB-related music?

Last I checked it switched back. I'm guessing it was just a glitch that lasted a little while.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2021, 03:41:51 PM »

They're playing Celebration's "Gettin' Hungry" right now.  Definitely from vinyl;  noticeable crackles,  etc.

Don't forget that the Celebration material has never appeared on CD or other digital form (other than Boots)

Yes, of course. The previous posted just wanted confirmation that it was sourced from vinyl, because *theoretically* BRI (or MELECO/Mike in the case of "Celebration" material) could be supplying SiriusXM with the hand full of weird tracks that have never seen release outside of vinyl (e.g. the 84/85 4th of July tracks).

What's strange is that SiriusXM is clearly pulling stuff from vinyl, perhaps the way any old radio station over the years would, yet they won't play anything from "Looking Back With Love."

I'm curious if Mike said no to playing LBWL material. But I'm not sure if the band/BRI is vetting the material Sirius is playing, because Sirius is using those grey-market live albums that BRI surely wouldn't be supportive of (e.g. Japan 1966, Washington DC 1981, Carl live at the Bottom Line '81, etc.).

I know we did this back in 2018, but can anyone think of any other commercially-released albums/comps, etc. that SiriusXM has never touched on?

I don't think they've pulled "Barbie" off the old flexidisc, but one-off things like that (e.g. live "What'd I Say") are the main thing they haven't touched on. The ESQ CDs as well, though those aren't even really "commercially released" as such.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 03:46:06 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »

They're playing Celebration's "Gettin' Hungry" right now.  Definitely from vinyl;  noticeable crackles,  etc.

Yes, of course. The previous posted just wanted confirmation that it was sourced from vinyl, because *theoretically* BRI (or MELECO/Mike in the case of "Celebration" material) could be supplying SiriusXM with the hand full of weird tracks that have never seen release outside of vinyl (e.g. the 84/85 4th of July tracks).

What's strange is that SiriusXM is clearly pulling stuff from vinyl, perhaps the way any old radio station over the years would, yet they won't play anything from "Looking Back With Love."

I'm curious if Mike said no to playing LBWL material. But I'm not sure if the band/BRI is vetting the material Sirius is playing, because Sirius is using those grey-market live albums that BRI surely wouldn't be supportive of (e.g. Japan 1966, Washington DC 1981, Carl live at the Bottom Line '81, etc.).

I know we did this back in 2018, but can anyone think of any other commercially-released albums/comps, etc. that SiriusXM has never touched on?

I don't think they've pulled "Barbie" off the old flexidisc, but one-off things like that (e.g. live "What'd I Say") are the main thing they haven't touched on. The ESQ CDs as well, though those aren't even really "commercially released" as such.

You have certainly raised a very interesting point of what has only been released on Wax but not CD , after wracking my brian (there is some matter left) the only one I can think of that you have not mentioned would be the 12" Instrumental of HCTN,  and the Rock N Roll City material

AND Lady Liberty ? (but we don't talk about that LOL)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 10:50:19 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2021, 12:09:13 PM »

I"m not sure if "Lady Liberty" ever got an airing back in 2018. I have a vague recollection it may have, but I can't be sure.

They play "Chasin' the Sky" and "Problem Child" even though the former never got an official CD release, and the latter only hit CD as a promo.

I'd say "Lady Liberty" is slightly *less* obscure than a few tracks they've played in that "Lady Liberty" was issued on a CD single as I recall.

I'm trying to think if all of the weird Brian solo tracks have been aired. Has "This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight" ever been aired? Some non-album bonus tracks have been aired, but not for instance the obscure digital "In My Room" bonus track from GIOMH. All the Smile bonus instrumental tracks?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2021, 05:42:37 PM »

Some non-album bonus tracks have been aired, but not for instance the obscure digital "In My Room" bonus track from GIOMH.

You sure you mean “In My Room” as the bonus track for GIOMH? Wasn’t the bonus track actually “Don’t Worry Baby”? And if I recall, didn’t it feature Wendy Wilson? And while we are at it, I can’t remember the last time I heard that track. Does anybody have access to it? I don’t think it’s on YouTube.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2021, 10:56:26 AM »

Some non-album bonus tracks have been aired, but not for instance the obscure digital "In My Room" bonus track from GIOMH.

You sure you mean “In My Room” as the bonus track for GIOMH? Wasn’t the bonus track actually “Don’t Worry Baby”? And if I recall, didn’t it feature Wendy Wilson? And while we are at it, I can’t remember the last time I heard that track. Does anybody have access to it? I don’t think it’s on YouTube.

Yeah, I'm sure it was indeed "Don't Worry Baby", and it seems to have slipped through the net of even a lot of hardcore BB track collectors, as fewer BB fans (many of which seem to be late adopters of newer music formats) would have bought the full GIOMH album on iTunes back in 2004 to get the track, and it disappeared from iTunes ages ago.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx