gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:58:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys channel is coming back to SiriusXM  (Read 8160 times)
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2021, 09:05:36 AM »

Phlash Phelps on 60s on 6 just mentioned that it will be on Channel 105, possibly starting July 1st. The channel will be called Good Vibrations.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 11:17:42 AM »

The channel has re-launched as of noon. I don’t know if we’re going to do what we did 3 years ago, but here were the songs I heard (after some probably reused promotional intros from 2018, which were similar to the montages from Love and Mercy):

Surfin’ USA
Fun, Fun, Fun
Match Point of Our Love
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Catch A Wave
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 01:43:21 PM »

Glad to hear this is back! Here's what I heard.

Susie Cincinatti
Help Me, Rhonda
Let Him Run Wild (call-in request)
Surfer Girl (Live 50th Anniversary Tour, at first I thought that this one is mixed somewhat surprisingly well, you could pick out numerous voices in the harmony but then Brian is slightly and unnecessarily autotuned on the bridge)
Fun, Fun, Fun
Kona Coast (wasn't expecting to hear this one)
(David Marks commentary)
Catch a Wave
Yeah! (Bruce and Terry song, lol this is awful)
Honkin' Down the Highway (plenty of Al Jardine leads in this set)
Do You Wanna Dance?
Sail On, Sailor
The Surfer Moon
(Bruce Johnston commentary)
Still Surfin' (another one I definitely wasn't expecting to hear)
California Girls
(Brian Wilson commentary)
Hang On to Your Ego
Good Timin'
I Get Around
Good Vibrations (I think this was one of the Lei'd in Hawaii rehearsal versions)
Surf's Up (with an intro promoting the Feel Flows box set though didn't specify if this particular mix is from the box, it is the standard album version either way)
(David Marks commentary)
Rock and Roll Music
Maybe I Don't Know (I've always thought this '85 track was underrated)

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 01:43:45 PM »

I had earlier posted about the channel on another thread. Anyway, saw that it will be on for two months.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 02:21:29 PM »

Currently hearing Sloop John B from Knebworth, 1980.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 03:18:20 PM »

Just heard GOK live from ‘81 with Brian on lead!!
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2021, 09:05:33 PM »

Here’s two hours from tonight. They played “409” twice, about a half-hour apart.

July 1, 2021, 7:05-9:05 pm PDT:

1. Fun, Fun, Fun [single version]
2. Boogie Woodie
3. Heroes and Villains [single version]
4. Dance, Dance, Dance
5. Little Honda [Sacramento live rehearsal, 1964]
6. Susie Cincinnati [“15 Big Ones” version]
7. Sloop John B
8. Surf’s Up [“Surf’s Up” version]
9. Catch a Wave
10. Today (Beckley-Lamm-Wilson)
11. Sail On, Sailor
12. 409
13. Honkin’ Down the Highway
14. Wouldn’t It Be Nice [live, Washington. D.C., 1981]
15. Be True to Your School [single version]
16. Good Timin’
17. California Girls
18. Cotton Fields [single version]
19. Don’t Fight the Sea (Al Jardine featuring Brian, Mike and Bruce)
20. I Get Around
21. You Still Believe in Me
22. Finders Keepers
23. 409 [yes, again]
24. Falls Breaks and Back to Winter
25. Surfin’
26. Barbara Ann [single version]
27. Help Me, Rhonda [live, Washington, D.C., 1981]
28. Let Us Put Our Hearts Together
29. Shut Down
30. Wendy
31. Talk to Me
32. All Summer Long
33. He’s a Bum (Dennis Wilson)
34. God Only Knows
35. You’re Welcome
36. The Ballad of Ole’ Betsy
37. Good Vibrations [live, Honolulu, 1967]
38. Do It Again/Workshop
39. Drive-In
40. Kokomo
41. Let Him Run Wild
42. Don’t Worry, Baby
43. Passing By
44. Surfin’ Safari
45. Goin’ On
46. Surfer Girl
47. Winds of Change
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 03:10:30 AM »

Ive been listening almost nonstop since noon. I’m a long time xm subscriber and it’s glorious to hear the boys get the full treatment, and I must say it puts Ch.18 to shame. The mix has truly been incredible, In My Room, Everything I Need, Spirit of America, Friday Night, It’s OK, Help Me Rhonda, Disney Girls, Little Girl (live 2012), He’s A Doll, Rock N Roll to the rescue, kiss me baby, TM song, Lullabye, Kokomo, remember walking in the sand, 409, like a brother, etc. I expected to hear the same ole strip, but was pleasantly surprised to find the kids are hip. I’ve been digging it, why on earth is it not permanent!?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 05:33:38 AM »

Any sound bytes from band members yet? Those, along with the great song selection, were a highlight when the channel aired three years ago.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2021, 07:18:23 AM »

Listening this morning and yes, band sound bites are back and great. And right now, a blistering version of Carl's Keepin the Summer Alive from Knebworth...they should have recorded it this way.....song KICKS!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2021, 09:32:18 AM »

I've been listening this morning; it does indeed sound like they just got the 2018 content back up and running. Same completely random song selection, occasional incorrect or missing album cover artwork, same 2018 promos and interviews (with at least one new "Feel Flows" promo), same weird grey-market live stuff like the Washington DC '81 stuff, etc.

Would love to see Iconic/BRI feed them some new, interesting stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2021, 01:07:57 PM »

Mix of songs still seems to be like 2018.

I'd say the cover artwork (it's debatable whether any of this even matters) is notably *worse* than in 2018.

Bruce & Terry's "Carmen" used the "Summer Days" cover art. Celebration's "How's About a Little Bit" used the "All Summer Long" cover.

They're playing stuff off of various compilations and archival releases, but using the album art from whatever album it's originally from. So you get "Rock and Roll Music" from "Made in California", but it uses the "15 Big Ones" cover, and so on.

I just saw a track off "Surfin' Safari" that used the cover art from one of those grey-market public domain 2-CD sets for the early stuff.

Again, does this even matter? I have no idea. But if someone heard a track from the Philharmonic album and liked it, they won't know the cover art or the title of that album to go seek it out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2021, 06:04:01 PM »

Just learned this afternoon that the Sirius channel is back.  Very excited!  I loved it last time. 
I put it on for my ride home from work and heard quite the variety, including solo Carl and "I Just Got My Pay." 
Here's what just happened.

July 2 - 8:00-9:00pm Eastern

The Little Girl I Once Knew
Sail On Sailor
Mike Love/Hanson - It's OK
Heroes and Villains
Take a Load Off Your Feet
Shut Down
Carl Wilson - The Right Lane
California Girls
Friends
Here Today
Long Promised Road (Live 1972)
I Can Hear Music
Spirit of America
I Get Around
Brian Wilson - Good Vibrations (Live, Roxy)
You're So Good To Me
God Only Knows
Chug-a-Lug
The Surfer Moon
Do It Again
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 11:28:14 AM »

Of all the great live recordings they could be play somehow ‘81 in DC is in rotation . I don’t remember that even getting a release .
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 12:43:24 PM »

Of all the great live recordings they could be play somehow ‘81 in DC is in rotation . I don’t remember that even getting a release .

It's on one of those "grey market" releases.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 06:46:40 AM »

The last time around they were promoting the Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra release. I heard Brian, Al, and Mike comment on the 'then' new album. This would be a perfect opportunity to promote the Feel Flows Box set. Throw in a few tracks from the upcoming box. Comments from the Boys as well. I'm sure they will do that. We'll see.

Yes, more comments from the band. They were using old interview clips from Dennis and Carl last time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 06:52:16 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 07:19:38 AM »

The last time around they were promoting the Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra release. I heard Brian, Al, and Mike comment on the 'then' new album. This would be a perfect opportunity to promote the Feel Flows Box set. Throw in a few tracks from the upcoming box. Comments from the Boys as well. I'm sure they will do that. We'll see.

Yes, more comments from the band. They were using old interview clips from Dennis and Carl last time.

I did hear the live "Susie Cincinnati" from '76 the other night, so they've definitely updated the playlist to the extent of including that. Makes me hopeful more Feel Flows tracks will be aired in the coming months.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 08:35:42 AM »

Turned on the station 45 minutes ago to an alternate version of Til I Die that I hadn’t heard before

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »

Every time I've put it on I've heard "Help Me Rhonda" and "Spirit of America" more times than necessary on any given day.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 11:00:06 AM »

For me it’s Getcha Back.

Anyone heard All This is That yet?

They’re playing a live version of The Trader now (different from Concert album)
Kokomo in Spanish…
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:07:24 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2021, 08:29:57 PM »

Got to listen to the BB channel today while in a car today and heard a live version of "Caroline No" from the 1993 unplugged tour. I didn't realize it had been released -- turns out it's a track on the PS 50th set. I have the PS box set and the 40th anniv. set, but not that one. But I now have the track, along with YSBIM from the same show, thanks to iTunes.

I also had an epiphany as to why they put the BB channel on 105 -- because the 105 freeway in LA runs right over the site of the Wilsons' home.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 12:38:20 PM »

Listening right now. I probably forgot a few I’ve heard today (or the order), but this is what I have.

All Summer Long
Celebration - Cruisin’
PT Cruiser
Feel Flows promo
Susie Cincinnati (Live)
Marilyn Wilson talks about recording the cheerleading on BTTYS
Be True To Your School
Til I Die (Desper mix from EH)
Brian promo?
In My Room
Priscilla Presley promo
Kokomo
Here Today
I Get Around
Mike, Bruce, Adrian Baker, and an absent David Marks - The Little Old Lady from Pasadena (NASCAR)

I also had an epiphany as to why they put the BB channel on 105 -- because the 105 freeway in LA runs right over the site of the Wilsons' home.

Interesting, Emdeeh. It is cool, but also a little stupid, since there aren’t any other music channels above the mid-80’s or so, and people might otherwise not know the channel exists.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2021, 10:27:10 AM »

Just heard the Jimmy Page/Joan Jett trainwreck performance of "Barbara Ann" from 1985, so it does appear as though they're playing those 84/85 live tracks as they did in 2018. Probably as "obscure" as the channel gets.

Otherwise, I have to say I'm having deja vu back to 2018, because I recall back then as now the selection starts out frustrating repetitive for the first few days/weeks. I tune in sporadically throughout the day, and never *don't* get "Do It Again" and bunch of other common tracks.

They sprinkle in weird stuff, but right now as with 2018 it leans towards hits and well-known stuff with weird stuff less prevalent. So I'll hear "Be True to Your School" for the millionth time, then "Surfer Moon" for the thousandth time, and then they'll randomly throw in like "PT Cruiser" or a "Celebration" track, and then back to "Kokomo" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice."

Cover art continues to be super weird. They play the Stamos "Forever" with the "Sunflower" cover art. Then they play the Philharmonic version of "Here Today", but show the *DVD-Audio* case for "Pet Sounds." Wtf?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2021, 11:22:16 AM »

I’ve heard songs by The Wilsons, Willie Nelson’s take on TWOTS, several songs by Bruce (solo and Bruce &Terry). I’m seeing more variety with the non hits songs.
Yes there are some songs that are being repeated too much. Maybe they  think casual listeners don’t listen to it more than an hour, or are just using it as background music during parties, barbecues etc and don’t notice the repetition.
Nice to hear Leaving This Town, then shortly after, Sail on, Sailor. Happy 70th Birthday, Blondie!

Surprised to hear Transcendental Meditation this morning. There was a snippet by Mike beforehand - couldn’t hear what he said as I stepped out of the room for a second. I wonder if he said something about how calming TM is, then this song was played.  LOL

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2021, 12:58:44 PM »

They've got to let up on "Do It Again." Good lord.

Like I said, this is the same as 2018. There's some initial debate over the spread on hits vs. deep cuts. They aren't putting the deeper songs on regular rotation. In other words, the full list of "deep cuts" has a lot of titles on it, but for every deep cut, it's the same ten hits over and over. As I mentioned, the proportion of deep cuts eventually seemed to get a bit better as the weeks went on back in 2018, so we'll see.

And I have to say, the deep cuts are all over the place. Some great stuff. But then there's some bad stuff. The Honeys stuff is shrill and screechy, and that's the best of the outside production for girl groups Brian did back then. I recall in 2018 hearing some truly awful stuff. The Bruce & Terry stuff is an interesting curio, but it's like Rutles-style BB knockoffs.

As back then, the channel is like *accidentally* sometimes interesting. But I can't say it's *good* programming. They have a weird algorithm, that's for sure. When they *do* pull from like an archival set, they keep taking the same songs. I've heard the alternate version of "Don't Back Down" like eight times, and even the C50 live version, but never the regular studio version. 

I can't say something like this is exactly well thought out:

Wouldn't It Nice
Brian's Back
Surfer Moon
Ride the Wild Surf
California Saga: California
Boogie Woody
Nothing But Love
Good Vibrations
Don't Back Down (Alternate Version)
Be True To Your School
Surfer Girl
Givin' You Up
Do It Again
Car Crazy Cutie
This Town Goes Down at Sunset

And frankly, as I type that, that's actually still more interesting than what they're usually playing, because I probably wrote in more deep cuts there proportionately than what they play.

But it's all good, I'm doing a free trial.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx