gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:54:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up's Lyrics  (Read 1452 times)
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2021, 07:24:33 PM »

Hello fellow smileysmilers! Back in February of this year, there was a thread that was posted on here that asked a few questions concerning the lyrics to Surf's Up, and that thread gave me the idea to create a singular comprehensive resource which chronicles the history, meanings, and evolution of the song's lyrics over time. There have been many threads on this board (and other places on the internet too) over the years that have discussed various aspects of Surf's Up's lyrics, but to my knowledge no one had ever attempted to compile a singular resource that chronicles all of the key information about the lyrics, their meanings, their history, etc. in it. So I recently created a new video which attempts to do exactly that:

https://youtu.be/PkBZP96NoAw

I hope people enjoy this and find it interesting. Even I learned a few new things about the lyrics which I hadn't known before!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 10:44:42 PM »

Great deep dive video into all things Surf's Up.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 05:08:12 AM »

Really great video. It was funny to hear my name come up - for what it's worth, if the case wasn't already solid enough, one of Frank Holmes' 1966 illustrations is subtitled "diamond necklace play the pawn" (present tense), and he was working first-hand from the source.

Need to point something out RE Jack Rieley - in the 1996 email you allude to, Jack emphatically said that none of the other members of the band (including Brian) were responsible for the extra couplet. He didn't make a claim that it took 7 people to write. That isn't something he ever said. The heavy implication of the message is that Jack himself wrote the words, but he couldn't outright say it for obvious reasons. That, I think, is completely believable, measured up on the Jack Rieley believability scale - more so than them having come from Brian.

There's no writer's credit officially given, so I am somewhat reticent about this question. How about this.... it was not Brian, Carl, Jardine, Love, Johnston, Van Dyke Parks, Dennis or Steve Desper.

Perhaps you will excuse this admittedly chicken-sh*t way around your question. The couplet's authorship should of course have been credited. It was not.

I'll also challenge "adieu or die" - it's a nice idea, and I'm sure a somewhat intentional pun, but Brian sings "a do or die" each time. Those are the words he's consciously singing in every attempt without any real wiggle room.

Some handwritten lyrics by Van Dyke were included in the 2004 tour programme. He makes the retroactive "the diamond necklace played" mistake, mixes up some of the order, and there's no final verse printed, but I think it's probably the most reliable reflection of his original intentions regarding most of the rest of the spelling. Punctuation and line structure reproduced:

A diamond necklace played the pawn
Hand in hand some drummed along to a handsome mannered baton
A blind class aristocracy
Back through the opera glass you see the pit and the pendulum drawn
Columnated ruins domino!
Canvas the town and brush the backdrop
Are you sleeping?

Hung velvet overtaken me
Dim chandelier awaken me to a song dissolve in the dawn
The music hall a costly bow
The music all is lost for now to a muted trumpeter swan
Columnated ruins domino!

Dove nested towers
The hour was strike the street quicksilver moon
Carriage across the fog two-step to lamp light cellar tune
The laughs come hard in Auld Lang Syne

The glass was raised – the fired roast
The fullness of the wine – the dim last toasting
While at port a do or die

A choke of grief heart hardened I
Beyond belief
A broken man too tough to cry
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 05:17:40 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 06:34:35 AM »

Really great video. It was funny to hear my name come up - for what it's worth, if the case wasn't already solid enough, one of Frank Holmes' 1966 illustrations is subtitled "diamond necklace play the pawn" (present tense), and he was working first-hand from the source.

Need to point something out RE Jack Rieley - in the 1996 email you allude to, Jack emphatically said that none of the other members of the band (including Brian) were responsible for the extra couplet. He didn't make a claim that it took 7 people to write. That isn't something he ever said. The heavy implication of the message is that Jack himself wrote the words, but he couldn't outright say it for obvious reasons. That, I think, is completely believable, measured up on the Jack Rieley believability scale - more so than them having come from Brian.

There's no writer's credit officially given, so I am somewhat reticent about this question. How about this.... it was not Brian, Carl, Jardine, Love, Johnston, Van Dyke Parks, Dennis or Steve Desper.

Perhaps you will excuse this admittedly chicken-sh*t way around your question. The couplet's authorship should of course have been credited. It was not.

I'll also challenge "adieu or die" - it's a nice idea, and I'm sure a somewhat intentional pun, but Brian sings "a do or die" each time. Those are the words he's consciously singing in every attempt without any real wiggle room.

Some handwritten lyrics by Van Dyke were included in the 2004 tour programme. He makes the retroactive "the diamond necklace played" mistake, mixes up some of the order, and there's no final verse printed, but I think it's probably the most reliable reflection of his original intentions regarding most of the rest of the spelling. Punctuation and line structure reproduced:

A diamond necklace played the pawn
Hand in hand some drummed along to a handsome mannered baton
A blind class aristocracy
Back through the opera glass you see the pit and the pendulum drawn
Columnated ruins domino!
Canvas the town and brush the backdrop
Are you sleeping?

Hung velvet overtaken me
Dim chandelier awaken me to a song dissolve in the dawn
The music hall a costly bow
The music all is lost for now to a muted trumpeter swan
Columnated ruins domino!

Dove nested towers
The hour was strike the street quicksilver moon
Carriage across the fog two-step to lamp light cellar tune
The laughs come hard in Auld Lang Syne

The glass was raised – the fired roast
The fullness of the wine – the dim last toasting
While at port a do or die

A choke of grief heart hardened I
Beyond belief
A broken man too tough to cry

Thank you for pointing this out and for all the feedback! I wrote and pinned a comment in the comments section just now to mention my mistake and correct it (and in it, I mention you as being the one who accurately pointed out my mistake). At that point when I was recording the video I was going partially off of memory (ditto when I created the accompanying visual). Jack's roundabout non-answer in that email is stated in a way that I've always found confusing, but you are right. I still think that there's a chance that Brian could have written those lyrics though, but rereading Jack's email now, yeah, he definitely could have written them and I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

And very interesting about those handwritten lyrics! I don't own a tour program myself, but now that you mention them I do recall reading claims that they included handwritten lyrics by Van Dyke. Those certainly would have been good to incorporate into the video and talk about, especially RE: the spelling aspect, but unfortunately it's too late to do that now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:41:44 AM by myonlysunshine » Logged
michealspencer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 07:25:45 PM »

How To Maintain Your Shark Apex Uplight Vacuum Cleaner

Deciding which vacuum to purchase is a nerve-racking process, but knowing how to lengthen the durability of your vacuum cleaner after buying is no less important. It is true that the Shark Uplight vacuum has a four-year warranty, but in order to keep it in good condition and last longer, you should also follow proper maintenance guides.

So you may ask - what is the standard maintenance procedure for the Shark Apex Uplight Duoclean vacuum cleaner? In this post, let me show you how to maintain https://www.facebook.com/sharkapexuplightvacuumreview/. Let’s go fellas!

• Empty the dirt cup
There are three steps involved in the process of cleaning the dirt cup. First, you release the latch and pull up the dirt cup from the pod. Next, prepare a plastic bag or find a trash bin to get rid of the dirt inside the cup. To do that, hold the cup over a plastic bag or trash bin and then press the bottom latch to throw away all the dirt and dust. Finally, you just need to press the remaining top latch of the dust cup to remove built-up debris on the dust screen.

One thing to notice. You should turn off the power and unplug the vacuum while cleaning to prevent possible electric shock accidents.

• Clean the filter
For the filter, it is recommended that you should clean the pre-motor filter every three months and the HEPA filter once a year. As for the pre-motor filter, after removing the dust cup, please take out the foam and felt filters to wash with water. While doing that, make sure to tap the filters to get rid of the built-up dirt on the surface of the filters. Regarding the HEPA filter, press the button under the grill to take it away from the Shark APEX UpLight Review: How Good Is This New Stick Vacuum. After that, remove and wash the HEPA filter with water. You shouldn’t use soap when cleaning both pre-motor and HEPA filters, or your vacuum cleaner might run into trouble.

• Clean the brush roll
First, to pop up the brush roll garage lid, push up both sliders on the floor nozzle simultaneously. After that, use a scissor or your hand to remove string, hair clogs, or debris wrapped around the brush roll while cleaning. By doing this regularly, your Shark Apex Uplight Lift-away Duoclean will be less prone to problems such as stuck brush roll or overheating when operating.

• Clean the soft roller
First, follow the same step as above, push up both sliders on the floor nozzle simultaneously to pop up the brush roll garage lid. The next step is to remove the soft roller from the nozzle by lifting it out with the pull tab on the right side. After doing that, clean loose debris by tapping it off the surface or wiping it with a dry towel. After getting rid of the loose debris, wash the soft roller under the water stream and let it dry completely for a day. Finally, assemble everything inside the vacuum cleaner properly.

• Check the nozzles
It is important to check the nozzles for blockages regularly in order to prevent problems suck as suction power loss, overheating, motor dying out, or the worst - your vacuum cleaner stops working for life. To check the nozzles, tilt their neck back to straighten the airway. After that, you can take a look carefully inside the nozzles, and get rid of any possible blockages.

Final Words

The aforementioned is the ultimate guide to maintaining your Shark Apex Uplight Vacuum - The Perfect Vacuum for Single People. Remember to follow these steps regularly to keep your vacuum healthy and properly.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 09:58:41 PM by michealspencer » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx