gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680796 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 07:07:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goin’ On  (Read 6228 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »

In fairness, I think it has been acknowledged that "Some of Your Love" was a literal re-write of "Mike Come Back to LA." In that particular case, I don't think they just accidentally wrote a similar song. They were taking the old song and retooling it.

Conversely, the same wasn't said of "Summer of Love", which also borrows that same riff/melody line.

Of course, all of these stem from a riff even older, heard on "Child of Winter" from 1974, and I recall another song or two in their catalog that can be argued are also similar, but they're slipping my mind at the moment.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2021, 03:41:09 PM »

In fairness, I think it has been acknowledged that "Some of Your Love" was a literal re-write of "Mike Come Back to LA." In that particular case, I don't think they just accidentally wrote a similar song. They were taking the old song and retooling it.

I assumed everyone knew this - I took it for granted. We've heard the Mike Come Back lyrics (chorus at least) which have been out there for decades.  I didn't mean to suggest they were two different songs, but just that in some ways I wish I'd never heard the original lyrics, because they've stuck in my head.

Maybe I'm using quotation marks recklessly in my posts??
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 03:43:18 PM by thetojo » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2021, 01:57:59 AM »

How does "Wontcha come out tonight" fit into all of this? Was that before "Mike come back to L. A." or was the latter the first version of "Wontcha..."?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2021, 11:20:58 AM »

I always liked this song and thought it easily was one of their best later-period tracks.  For all the flack this album gets (and don't get me wrong, this is not a great album by any stretch) as well as L.A. (Light Album), if you compiled the best songs from both albums you'd have a pretty decent effort.  Something like this:

KTSA
Good Timin'
Some of Your Love
Full Sail
Angel Come Home
Livin' With a Heartache
Sunshine
Lady Lynda
Baby Blue
Goin' On

No "Love surrounds me"? That to me is one of the greatest later tracks the Beach Boys ever did.

Oh right.  I knew I forgot one of them.  You can swap it out with "Sunshine" or "Some of Your Love".  😊

Don't swap out "Sunshine" - that would be a travesty.

"Some Of Your Love" is pretty good, but these days I can't help hearing "Mike Come Back to L.A." and it puts me off that song a little!

Oh fine then.  🤣  Assuming a single LP can fit all these songs on then we don't have to drop anything.  Or make one of these songs strictly the B-side for the "Goin' On" single if it can't fit on the album.  Then it could have served as the "bonus track" for the eventual CD release. 

"Some Of Your Love" is unquestionably lightweight, but I still enjoy listening to it whenever it pops in my shuffle.  And "Summer Of Love" definitely seems to borrow a thing or two from it. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2021, 10:54:37 PM »

Conversely, the same wasn't said of "Summer of Love", which also borrows that same riff/melody line.

Of course, all of these stem from a riff even older, heard on "Child of Winter" from 1974, and I recall another song or two in their catalog that can be argued are also similar, but they're slipping my mind at the moment.

Alternate version of "It's OK" from the Made In California set. The little riff right at the beginning.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 10:55:17 PM by Jim V. » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx