gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:49:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Playlist suggestions for Country Rock songs  (Read 3077 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 19, 2021, 02:06:15 AM »

As some of you may know, I am a big fan of classic Country music. I also always loved Country Rock, although I may have a different definition of that as to what it is regarded usually. Anyway, while listening to Elton John's "Tiny Dancer" a while ago, I thought about getting some kind of playlist of this kind of songs. The way the pedal steel guitar and the melody work together in "Tiny Dancer" is pure magic. The later part of the song is not as good imo.
So what I want are songs that in the best case - though not a must f the rest works - use a pedal steel (or an electric guitar playing steel licks) but also have the "commercial" feeling of Rock music. I'll write down a couple of songs that work, some may actually be hard core Country (e. g. George Jones' "Still doin' Time") but still fit in beautifully. I won't use too much of the Byrds' "Sweetheart of the Rodeo", although I like that album, the sound is a little too sugary to my ears, I want some of the edges of Country Music and Honky Tonk but of course also Rock in there. I know that some of you have a much better knowledge of Rock music from the late 60s onwards, so I  count on your ideas.

Here are some ideas, maybe you'll get an better idea if you have something to listen to:

Elton John - Tiny dancer
Elvis Presley - Where do I go from here
Three dog night - Never been to Spain
Beach Boys - Hold on dear brother
The Marshall Tucker Band / Hank Williams jr. - Can't You See
Tom Petty - Spike
Beach Boys - Cottonfields (single version)
Waylon Jennings - Me & Bobby McGhee
Everly Brothers - Omaha
Robert Earl Keen / Highwaymen - The Road Goes On Forever
Anita Carter - Loving Him Was Easier
Carl Perkins - Me Without You
Little Richard - I'm so lonesome I could cry
George Jones - Still doin' Time
Joe Tex - Don't go to Dallas
Neil Young - Harvest
George Jones & Tammy Wynette - I've seen better days
Glaser Brothers - Loving her was easier
Al & Matt Jardine - Pop and Momma
Faron Young - Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town
Jerry Lee Lewis - All Over Hell And Half Of Georgia
Carl Perkins - The Trip
Everly Brothers - I'm on my way home
Guy Clark - Desperados Waiting For A Train
Beach Boys - We got love (studio)
Bill Haley - Who'll stop the rain
Waylon Jennings - Lonesome, on'ry and mean
Waylon Jennings - Ramblin' man
Tom T. Hall / Dave Dudley- Ballad of 40 Dollars
Billy Joe Shaver - Black Rose
The Doobie Brothers - Texas Lullaby
The Rolling Stones – Dead Flowers

These are just some ideas I came up with. There are others I have but this list oughta give you an idea.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 02:06:43 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 08:34:33 AM »

A couple suggestions:  Sin City by the Flying Burrito Brothers, The Swimming Song by Loudon Wainwright III (Earl Scruggs Revue also recorded a nice version)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 02:04:22 PM »

A couple suggestions:  Sin City by the Flying Burrito Brothers, The Swimming Song by Loudon Wainwright III (Earl Scruggs Revue also recorded a nice version)

Thanks for those ideas!
"Sin City" is pretty much traditional Country, which is a good thing to me, but it doesn't really fit what I'm looking for for the playlist. "The swimming Song" fits better.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 08:54:05 PM »

This one is another song more country than rock, but I heard this the other day and really like their recording of Hard Travelin' (Mandolin Orange now known as Watch House have great harmonies as a duo):  https://youtu.be/iTlMlO7y0Pg

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 09:01:39 PM by spgass » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 06:18:05 AM »

You have “I’m On My Way Home” by the Everly Brothers on your list!  That is a GREAT record, I commend your taste!  I’d suggest listening to Rick Nelson’s Live at the Troubedour album.  Tom Brumley plays steel on that and it’s a great live album.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 01:24:48 AM »

You have “I’m On My Way Home” by the Everly Brothers on your list!  That is a GREAT record, I commend your taste! 

Thank you!

I’d suggest listening to Rick Nelson’s Live at the Troubedour album.  Tom Brumley plays steel on that and it’s a great live album.

Oh nice, I will give it a listen.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 04:18:55 PM »

How about stuff from the Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead or American Beauty albums?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 04:20:32 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 01:16:48 PM »

“Together Again” by Buck Owens has Brumley on steel,  it’s not rock, but it’s darned good steel!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2021, 01:24:43 AM »

How about stuff from the Grateful Dead's Workingman's Dead or American Beauty albums?

I will check them out! I am not very familiar with the Dead.

“Together Again” by Buck Owens has Brumley on steel,  it’s not rock, but it’s darned good steel!

Yes, a great recording. But as you say, for the playlist I am looking for some stuff that is between Rock and Country, maybe even some Pop, while Buck's "Together Again" is pure Country.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »

Just a quick bunch of recommendations to consider adding, all of them featuring one of the true pioneers of country rock Mike "Papa Nez" Nesmith.

The Monkees: "Listen To The Band" (featuring I think it was Lloyd Green on pedal steel), "What Am I Doin' Hangin' 'Round" (featuring Doug Dillard on electric banjo), "Papa Gene's Blues" (featuring James Burton on a scorching hot lead guitar solo), and a real underground lost gem of a tune, "Auntie's Municipal Court" which is as close to psychedelic country as I've heard, and an early example too.

Mike also played pedal steel on the Monkees' "Headquarters" album after getting lessons from Red Rhodes, and it was an early non-country use of pedal steel guitar especially on the 3rd Monkees album, and heard on their TV show in non-country settings. "I'll Spend My Life With You" is a personal favorite from that album, although I love the whole thing.

Apart from the Monkees, check out Mike's First National Band solo records, with his main collaborator Red Rhodes (yes, same guy who played on Cottonfields) featured prominently on pedal steel on those albums.

I was able to cross off a bucket list item when I saw Mike perform live in 2013 in a solo concert. He had a terrific band featuring Chris Scruggs on multiple guitars and string instruments, including lap steel. If you haven't already, check out Chris Scruggs' own releases. He is a terrific guitarist who *nails* the Bakersfield sound like the Burton/Mooney material and the Owens/Rich classic sound, it's like he's a library full of the best country guitar styles and techniques.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 03:02:49 PM »

Rick Nelson had some really fine country rock in the late 60s -early 70s with his Stone Canyon Band. Had a hit with “Garden Party.” And second the earlier suggestion of his Live at the Troubadour album
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:21:42 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 10:03:31 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Yesterday I watched "Almost Famous" and spotted Led Zeppelin's "Tangerine", which also fits the criteria.

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 06:47:26 PM »

Thought of another song - “Rainbows All Over Your Blues” by John Sebastian, Buddy Emmons on steel…
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 02:55:55 AM »

Thought of another song - “Rainbows All Over Your Blues” by John Sebastian, Buddy Emmons on steel…

I didn't know that one. Pretty nice. But also very much straight forward country, wouldn't you say?
Another one I thought of, that I didn't mention is Waylon Jennings' "Memroies of You and I" (and basically you could create such a playlist with only Waylon songs).

Let me try to explain what feeing I'm looking for. "Tiny Dancer" is actually a very good example (including it's use in "Alomst famous"). It has that mood of an melancholy, yet optimistic afternoon during indian summer. Another film moment that comes to mind in when Kris Kristofferson's "Me & Bobby McGhee" starts playing in "Two-lane blacktop". But the songs should have some edge to them without an overly slick production.
I don't know how else to put it, since I haven't thought of putting it into words. That is just one idea. You see that some of the songs I already have on the list don't really fit this description, so there's more to it than just that.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx