gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's iTunes playlist  (Read 4014 times)
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2006, 05:27:05 PM »

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but Brian has posted a playlist on the iTunes music store.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:00:40 AM »

Throw in Ronettes "Be My Baby" then shake into a mix.

Feh.
XY
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 12:13:37 PM »

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but Brian has posted a playlist on the iTunes music store.

A playlist with his favorite songs by other artists or his own songs?
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 12:14:26 PM »

« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 12:27:05 PM by jlaird » Logged
XY
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »

Cool! Thanks for posting! Smiley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 12:41:24 PM »

It's really interesting to see this.  Nice to see Brian expounding on the choices too, even though it's not much, at least there's some comment.

I think the Stones' influence on Brian has been under-understood.  He really, really digs 'em.
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 12:42:33 PM »

every celebrity that creates a playlist comments on it, Brian's responses are about the same length as every other artists
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:21:28 PM »

I think it's a surprising playlist, especially since his musical taste never seems to change very much. I would've expected a Beatles song, a Four Freshmen song, and I've heard/read a few times that his favorite Stones song was "My Obsession".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 03:15:33 PM »

Well, the playlist can only contain songs that iTunes has on its site, so that means the Beatles are out. I've never searched for the Freshmen there. As for My Obsession, I believe the reason Brian mentions that tune is because he attended the recording session.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 03:17:19 PM »

Is there any Gershwin on iTunes, or Rosemary Clooney?
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 03:46:32 PM »

yes on gershwin and rosemary clooney
kshane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 06:05:28 PM »

More than half of Brian's selections are either Phil Spector productions (4), or Brian Wilson productions (3). Sounds about right to me.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 03:30:19 AM »

Nice list. I just wonder why there's no song by Randy Newman on it.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 03:49:14 AM »

When's Brian gonna listen to something recorded later than, say, the 1970s?  You never know it might spark some new ideas and inspiration in him.  You just don't get this regressive time-warped feel from somebody like Bacharach.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 05:16:43 AM »

I'm only 30 and mainly listen to older music. Jet, or the Coral once in a while do a retro song I like but I like old fashioned Rock, Blues Gospel, and Country. Heck I am always discovering an unknown band that I like from then. Brian has great taste, when he tried to sound hip is when he was at his worst (SI). Taste is taste and I don't knock anyone who has passion for their music now, but I think that the music of the early fifties to the early seventies will never be equalled. Especally if your talking about what is "popular".
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 05:26:42 AM »

I'm only 30 and mainly listen to older music. Jet, or the Coral once in a while do a retro song I like but I like old fashioned Rock, Blues Gospel, and Country. Heck I am always discovering an unknown band that I like from then. Brian has great taste, when he tried to sound hip is when he was at his worst (SI). Taste is taste and I don't knock anyone who has passion for their music now, but I think that the music of the early fifties to the early seventies will never be equalled. Especally if your talking about what is "popular".

It wouldn't be so bad if he seemed to investigate more even the music of his own generation.  At a London meeting a couple of years ago he reportedly claimed no knowledge of 'Forever Changes'.  If Brian was creating great new music nowadays I wouldn't be saying this but I just get the feeling of an absence of ideas.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 07:22:40 AM »

It wouldn't be so bad if he seemed to investigate more even the music of his own generation.  At a London meeting a couple of years ago he reportedly claimed no knowledge of 'Forever Changes'.  If Brian was creating great new music nowadays I wouldn't be saying this but I just get the feeling of an absence of ideas.

I guess Brian's no more the ahead-thinker or progressive guy. He's just a songwriter who has his own style totally worked out and thus probably doesn't care about new influences

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 11:36:31 AM »

The (male) singer from The Magic Numbers says Brian -when they toured togheter- told them they were the best band of the latest 20 years. Well, not su much but they're very good.

Don't forget that this a playlist for iTunes, not his fav songs.

I guess the most Stone-influenced BW track is You're so good to me (Stones meet Stax, actually). I wonder if the Stones took the idea for the background vocals on She's a rainbow from that one. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx