gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:32:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oh god  (Read 7760 times)
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 10:48:56 AM »

I think it's really just an indication of how "faceless" the Beach Boys are compared to say, the Beatles or Stones etc. Photoshop in Paul and Ringo to this picture and tour as "The Beatles". The public would simply not accept that, it would be an outrage.

They could certainly do these pictures better ha. I would say simply having Al there would add such tremendous authenticity and credibility. They could have Mike, Al & Bruce kind of forefront- then the backing band sort of in the shadows in striped shirts or something ... and with a higher degree of style in the image itself.  Not saying that's a great idea but ... the way they do it now is really tacky.

But my personal opinion is I just fundamentally disagree with this group being called The Beach Boys. But I've had 23 years to get used to it at this point. I saw the Beach Boys in 1992, 1993, 1996, and 2012. I don't see the BW solo shows and I don't see "The Beach Boys". The real deal, when they are together- is magic.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 10:56:28 AM »

In 1993, when I was 14- I sent all of the Beach Boys fan letters, and Carl was the only one to respond. He sent me this:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 10:56:56 AM by DonnyL » Logged

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »

In 1993, when I was 14- I sent all of the Beach Boys fan letters, and Carl was the only one to respond. He sent me this:

Very cool.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »

It was surprising to see this issue trending outside the usual fan base, which has been debating and discussing this since the late 90's. Add to it the recognizable names who also retweeted it and commented on it, and it was an issue debated among a group of fans for years getting into the more mainstream circles via people who have tens of thousands of followers and this thing randomly popping up on feeds I guess. And from what I've seen, the overwhelming majority of comments were negative on both the photo and toward Mike Love, which isn't good publicity. Maybe Mike's constant touring existed outside the mainstream for so long, when people actually saw this ad/photo trend pop up on Twitter, they were surprised to see it and thought "that's not the Beach Boys" or something. At least the comments suggest that, but who knows why it trended this way in June 2021.

Goes to show it's not just people on "this board" expressing those opinions, whatever that means, but anyone with half a brain and an internet connection already knew that since 2006.

As far as the photo itself, it's kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Why are Mike's eyes photo-shopped as bright blue dots? And the background...I see a little hagiography on display. It's like those fan-art paintings of Elvis or another deceased rock star floating in the clouds or something, existing and drifting up in the heavens and clouds. I don't get it at all. It's still a live rock and roll show being advertised, not a worship service.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 03:34:49 PM »

It's just a testament to the incredible music this band released for many years that even with the current Beach Boys being presented in fairgrounds throughout the United States they are still held in such high regard to this day. A timeless band.

That said I love Mike and he has earned the right to do and say whatever he wants

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2021, 08:14:24 PM »

It's just a testament to the incredible music this band released for many years that even with the current Beach Boys being presented in fairgrounds throughout the United States they are still held in such high regard to this day. A timeless band.

That said I love Mike and he has earned the right to do and say whatever he wants
Yeah, that irresponsible comment said, it appears that Mike Love has been doing that for at least 2 decades now and that is why we have the negative comments we do here, Twitter, the Hoffman Board, Youtube, and all the rest of the sites on the internet. There's never beena more hated individual as Mike Love is. He's all mouth against Brian and Dennis until he's interviewed and even then, he downgrades their relevance just to make himself look good but it backfires in his ugly, botox ridden fake face. The music may be timeless but Mike love stopped being looked on as necessary 3 decades ago. What a drip.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 12:56:27 AM »

But I've had 23 years to get used to it at this point.

A sad side note. Mike & Bruce have been doing their impersonation of the band longer than Dennis was a real life Beach Boy. 🥺
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 01:28:08 AM »

That all being said, and I'm no photo expert, I wonder if some additional attention is coming to this newest publicity shot because it's extra aggressively altered/photoshopped/processed.

The de-saturated look, the shirts looking like they were drawn on after the fact, the spacing/staging, etc. are all extra difficult on the eyes.

But I guess one positive is that it is, unto itself, truth in advertising.

Looks to me like it's a bunch of individual shots that have been comped together hence the awkwardness.

Really poor graphic design from a company that can certainly afford better. I do feel a bit bad for Mike insofar as he doesn't realise how tone deaf he is with his self presentation these days.

Yes, a man who comes out in support of hunting canned African animals and Donald Trump fascism would not suggest a man too concerned with his self presentation.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »

That all being said, and I'm no photo expert, I wonder if some additional attention is coming to this newest publicity shot because it's extra aggressively altered/photoshopped/processed.

The de-saturated look, the shirts looking like they were drawn on after the fact, the spacing/staging, etc. are all extra difficult on the eyes.

But I guess one positive is that it is, unto itself, truth in advertising.

Looks to me like it's a bunch of individual shots that have been comped together hence the awkwardness.

Really poor graphic design from a company that can certainly afford better. I do feel a bit bad for Mike insofar as he doesn't realise how tone deaf he is with his self presentation these days.

Yes, a man who comes out in support of hunting canned African animals and Donald Trump fascism would not suggest a man too concerned with his self presentation.

And a lot of the comments, understandably, have to do with that. I think we have a mix of several things brewing here: the  Mike and Bruce operation being light on official members, Mike’s actions in the last year or so, maybe some desire for a reunion because of all the RS coverage (maybe some who were unaware of C50 and the split learned over the last couple years because of the extra time created by the pandemic), etc. I think it is interesting (and good) that several people on Twitter knew who Al Jardine is.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »

I'm guessing none of you ever saw this group. Only one original member - Paul Revere - even though the other guys were all in the band for 20+ years - some right up to Paul's death in 2014.
I constantly see complaining on facebook about "that's not the original group". The funny thing about that is, the people who they think of as the original Raiders were not, they just happened to be the guys who were in the band when they made it big in the mid 60's. The original guys were from Caldwell, Idaho, and started in 1958. Paul was drafted in 1961, the group broke up, then he put together a new band in 1962.
Aw, but who cares about details like that, it's more fun just to complain a lot on social media.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2021, 05:11:40 PM »

I'm guessing none of you ever saw this group. Only one original member - Paul Revere - even though the other guys were all in the band for 20+ years - some right up to Paul's death in 2014.
I constantly see complaining on facebook about "that's not the original group". The funny thing about that is, the people who they think of as the original Raiders were not, they just happened to be the guys who were in the band when they made it big in the mid 60's. The original guys were from Caldwell, Idaho, and started in 1958. Paul was drafted in 1961, the group broke up, then he put together a new band in 1962.
Aw, but who cares about details like that, it's more fun just to complain a lot on social media.

Well you said it though- it’s about who the public knows. That group did not include the guy who sang the hits.

Reminds me of the Grass Roots ... the original “band” was basically PF Sloan, then they hired an SF group to be the band, then fired them and hired a new group of guys- who became famous. I think there have been like 50 guys in that “band” since, and somehow “they’re” still touring- with no one who has any affiliation to anyone resembling an original member or original recording.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 05:12:26 PM by DonnyL » Logged

thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2021, 05:23:30 PM »

I've seen Brian twice, but haven't seen Mike and Bruce yet. Hoping to see that at the August show in CT. Wonder if they'll play any Sunflower/Surf's Up stuff or deep cuts.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2021, 06:15:42 PM »

Well you said it though- it’s about who the public knows. That group did not include the guy who sang the hits.

Reminds me of the Grass Roots ... the original “band” was basically PF Sloan, then they hired an SF group to be the band, then fired them and hired a new group of guys- who became famous. I think there have been like 50 guys in that “band” since, and somehow “they’re” still touring- with no one who has any affiliation to anyone resembling an original member or original recording.

Also Blood, Sweat and Tears
Foreigner
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2021, 11:50:53 PM »

Well, that is true now that Rob Grill is gone.
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2021, 08:42:53 AM »

So cheezy and embarrassing. But then again we are talking Mike Love here.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2021, 09:01:37 AM »

With all respect to the other artists mentioned in the posts above, none of them are in the same upper echelon of rock history and recognition as The Beach Boys. The closest would probably be Skynyrd, and even they had issues in the last 15 years where they started being overtly political until they actually announced they were ditching the politics and getting back to playing music.

My opinion is these bands trying to appeal to all audiences should avoid politics and politicians at all costs, unless your brand is that you're known as a political act and people expect that kind of content and message from your music. Especially in 2021. Just play the music, because all the politicians want is to use people for their own gains and then throw them aside when they're no longer useful.

I say this now because there were politically-charged messages among all the recent comments directed at Mike and that promo photo. Of course it's Mike's choice to speak out or support who or what he wants, but I'd add if he is calling himself the face of the Beach Boys and representing the *brand*, he's opening the doors to people reacting against what he's saying or supporting and potentially hurting the brand by association.

As someone who has spent decades as a fan loving this music and getting more enjoyment from it than I could calculate, it's sad to see in the last few years how the band name gets as much negative trending topics on social media as it does positive. When a legacy band trends on social media, you want it to be for something positive, not people hammering away at the band or whatever else the issue is.

I guess I'm saying perhaps the best tact is to not give people a reason to hit social media with the negatives, and stick to doing things right, and doing them with class and style. It's fine to thump one's chest and say "I have a right to say what I want to say!" but when you're representing a brand and a name that means a lot to a lot of people, one should consider the consequences too. And for reasons listed above in other posts, I don't think Mike has ever grasped that, and in the past 20 years or so, I have to think he just doesn't care or see how social media reaction and perception carries over onto the name itself.

And again as much as I enjoy the music of the bands listed above who are still touring despite losing key members or all members entirely in a few cases, none of them is in the same upper echelon as The Beach Boys, so I don't see the comparisons between them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2021, 09:52:01 AM »

Why are Mike's eyes photo-shopped as bright blue dots? And the background...I see a little hagiography on display. It's like those fan-art paintings of Elvis or another deceased rock star floating in the clouds or something, existing and drifting up in the heavens and clouds. I don't get it at all. It's still a live rock and roll show being advertised, not a worship service.

Those eyes immediately reminded me of Sideous from Star Wars.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2021, 05:22:54 PM »

The only ones I even recognize besides Mike and Bruce are Totten, Cowsill, and Christian Love. I'm assuming one of those guys is Eichenberger, and maybe Tim Bonhomme and Randell Kirsch are in there as well???

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2021, 07:30:56 PM »

The only ones I even recognize besides Mike and Bruce are Totten, Cowsill, and Christian Love. I'm assuming one of those guys is Eichenberger, and maybe Tim Bonhomme and Randell Kirsch are in there as well???
You're one step ahead of me. I don't even know their names, although I recognize the face of the lead  guitarist.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2021, 11:21:17 AM »

Egh. That ain't The Beach Boys.

But in sadder news, is Foskett no longer touring with them at all? I assume he's been at home dealing with the cancer? Does anybody know how he's doin'?
You're right Jim, this ain't the Beach Boys in any way, shape or form. The Beach Boys were over with after Dennis and Carl were no longer with us and when Mike Love in his infinite wisdom fired Al Jardine after that. The collection of mostly unknown sidemen in that picture are not and will never be The Beach Boys and goes to prove that having a license to call yourself that name means absolutely nothing. Thanks to that douchebag Mike Love, there's little left of the legacy that was and by the time he's done, who knows what will be left.  Roll Eyes
Who granted Mike the license to tour under the Beach Boys name? If what Mike does is so terrible, why doesn't the same entity revoke the license? After all, Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys, right? And Dennis Wilson was THE Beach Boy.
This debate/discussion is about as old and worn out as those relentless "Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame" threads that come up in all the baseball groups.
Hey, now that gives me an idea - let's have Mike Love banned from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Ban him for that terrible acceptance speech back in 1988. I'm sure there must be some rules against bashing other performers in your speech.
And you can't speak in favor of Republican leaders or candidates. That goes against everything rock and roll stands for - corporate greed, selling out to the highest bidder...oh, maybe it doesn't.

Thank you so much for that, LS. The incessant badmouthing of Mike Love is what has driven so many Beach Boys fans away from an otherwise great board. I'm no ML apologist, but anyone with a modicum of knowledge of – and love for – the Beach Boys understands Love's importance to the Greatest American Band. Oh, well, I found my way back for a brief visit, which was most likely my last for at least a few months.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx