gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:43:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oh god  (Read 7720 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2021, 06:11:30 PM »

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 08:28:50 PM »

Egh. That ain't The Beach Boys.

But in sadder news, is Foskett no longer touring with them at all? I assume he's been at home dealing with the cancer? Does anybody know how he's doin'?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 09:16:34 PM »

But in sadder news, is Foskett no longer touring with them at all? I assume he's been at home dealing with the cancer? Does anybody know how he's doin'?
You're right Jim, this ain't the Beach Boys in any way, shape or form. The Beach Boys were over with after Dennis and Carl were no longer with us and when Mike Love in his infinite wisdom fired Al Jardine after that. The collection of mostly unknown sidemen in that picture are not and will never be The Beach Boys and goes to prove that having a license to call yourself that name means absolutely nothing. Thanks to that douchebag Mike Love, there's little left of the legacy that was and by the time he's done, who knows what will be left.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 12:52:25 AM »

You're right Jim, this ain't the Beach Boys in any way, shape or form. The Beach Boys were over with after Dennis and Carl were no longer with us and when Mike Love in his infinite wisdom fired Al Jardine after that. The collection of mostly unknown sidemen in that picture are not and will never be The Beach Boys and goes to prove that having a license to call yourself that name means absolutely nothing. Thanks to that douchebag Mike Love, there's little left of the legacy that was and by the time he's done, who knows what will be left.  Roll Eyes
Who granted Mike the license to tour under the Beach Boys name? If what Mike does is so terrible, why doesn't the same entity revoke the license? After all, Brian Wilson IS the Beach Boys, right? And Dennis Wilson was THE Beach Boy.
This debate/discussion is about as old and worn out as those relentless "Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame" threads that come up in all the baseball groups.
Hey, now that gives me an idea - let's have Mike Love banned from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Ban him for that terrible acceptance speech back in 1988. I'm sure there must be some rules against bashing other performers in your speech.
And you can't speak in favor of Republican leaders or candidates. That goes against everything rock and roll stands for - corporate greed, selling out to the highest bidder...oh, maybe it doesn't.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 02:16:13 AM »

“Lean” Mike has a big band now…. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 03:33:09 AM »

Those outfits  LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 04:15:34 AM »

Zoom in on Mikes eyes. WTF? 😳😱😮
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 06:56:46 AM »

“Lean” Mike has a big band now…. Roll Eyes

I’m sure I had to have thought of that before, but I guess I’d never said it out loud. So that’s a great point SMiLE Brian. Size of the band was supposedly a huge sticking point for Mike as far as his pulling the plug on C50, yet he has how many sidemen in his band now? Sure is odd.

However, let’s be real. It was never about band size or this or that. I think whatever it is, I’m not sure Mike has ever told the truth about it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 08:02:03 AM »

Shady, what is this image? Is it fan art or something official?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 09:52:57 AM »

Shady, what is this image? Is it fan art or something official?

Sadly it's an official image bring used to promote up and coming shows

Also it has gone pretty viral on twitter... in a negative way

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 10:11:38 AM »

I know Mike bashing is de rigueur here and all places Beach Boys, but I saw the Mike and Bruce show a few years ago and it was fantastic.  Lots of deep cuts and superbly performed.  We can dicker on the appropriateness of him licensing the Beach Boys' names but he did so legally and all full members or their families benefit.  As far as I know the touring Glen Miller Orchestra has zero original members.

Yeah Mike comes across like a douche but the scramble for the moral high ground as it relates to his endeavors appears reactionary and often insipid to me.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 10:44:32 AM »

Also it has gone pretty viral on twitter... in a negative way

Yeah, Mike was a trending topic for a period of time last night as the photo was making the rounds. Originally from https://twitter.com/aldotcom/status/1404528358118023175, I believe.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 11:04:42 AM »

I know Mike bashing is de rigueur here and all places Beach Boys, but I saw the Mike and Bruce show a few years ago and it was fantastic.  Lots of deep cuts and superbly performed.  We can dicker on the appropriateness of him licensing the Beach Boys' names but he did so legally and all full members or their families benefit.  As far as I know the touring Glen Miller Orchestra has zero original members.

Yeah Mike comes across like a douche but the scramble for the moral high ground as it relates to his endeavors appears reactionary and often insipid to me.

Not quite in ALL places Beach Boys...it seems that this thread is SS's "response" to a sequence of recent comments bashing "Brianistas" over at the nearest faraway place, with "according to someone who (should know better)" leading the way.

I think if Mike is going to have ads like this, he would do everyone right by identifying the members of his touring band. As Big Daddy notes, they are by no means a disgrace to the musical legacy of the Beach Boys and he would be honoring their efforts by putting their names out there. This ad might be seen as less offensive if it were to take such an approach.

Er, guess I should put that word "might" in quotes, yes?  Cool Guy
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 12:20:21 PM »

I'm not saying this discussion isn't worth having, but it's pretty much all been said.

Even most of the hardened, cynical fans who were aghast back in 1998 when Al and Carl were no longer in the band have mostly moved on and accepted Mike's deal even if they aren't actively and effusively endorsing it.

Pointing out that for 20+ years Mike's touring band has had the look of a cover band isn't to engage in some epic, frothing-at-the-mouth rant about it.

I will say that it *is* interesting to look back at how publicity photos of the "touring band" have been handled. Backing members did occasionally appear in publicity photos. I'm thinking mainly of one photo circa 1992 in the era where Matt Jardine had joined and Adrian Baker and Richie Cannata were in. But they actually got their own "The Touring Band" photo separate from the core four BBs.

But by and large, through 1999 BB publicity photos (which were mainly used for touring, as they weren't doing much otherwise) usually only featured core members.

Some of the standard late 80s-early-mid 90s photos:

Then, when Al and Carl were gone and Dave joined, they used this photo shoot in 1998 and into 99:

Then, once Dave was gone, all of a sudden the publicity photos started to include the entire touring band. Why? I'd wager it was decided that they had to show something larger once the "core" members were reduced to two (although I vaguely recall some Mike/Bruce publicity photos were also done up from time to time):

So Mike has been, for better or worse, doing publicity photos surrounded by anonymous (to the masses of course) backing members since around 2000 or so, all the way back in the Mike Meros/Mike Kowalski days.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 12:23:39 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »

That all being said, and I'm no photo expert, I wonder if some additional attention is coming to this newest publicity shot because it's extra aggressively altered/photoshopped/processed.

The de-saturated look, the shirts looking like they were drawn on after the fact, the spacing/staging, etc. are all extra difficult on the eyes.

But I guess one positive is that it is, unto itself, truth in advertising.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 06:26:31 PM »

Not quite in ALL places Beach Boys...it seems that this thread is SS's "response" to a sequence of recent comments bashing "Brianistas" over at the nearest faraway place, with "according to someone who (should know better)" leading the way.

I think if Mike is going to have ads like this, he would do everyone right by identifying the members of his touring band. As Big Daddy notes, they are by no means a disgrace to the musical legacy of the Beach Boys and he would be honoring their efforts by putting their names out there. This ad might be seen as less offensive if it were to take such an approach.

Er, guess I should put that word "might" in quotes, yes?  Cool Guy

+1

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 02:44:59 AM »

That all being said, and I'm no photo expert, I wonder if some additional attention is coming to this newest publicity shot because it's extra aggressively altered/photoshopped/processed.

The de-saturated look, the shirts looking like they were drawn on after the fact, the spacing/staging, etc. are all extra difficult on the eyes.

Looks to me like it's a bunch of individual shots that have been comped together hence the awkwardness.

Really poor graphic design from a company that can certainly afford better. I do feel a bit bad for Mike insofar as he doesn't realise how tone deaf he is with his self presentation these days.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 05:07:18 AM »

Looks to me like it's a bunch of individual shots that have been comped together hence the awkwardness.

Really poor graphic design from a company that can certainly afford better. I do feel a bit bad for Mike insofar as he doesn't realise how tone deaf he is with his self presentation these days.

These days? He still pushed the band to wear their early surfing days striped shirts on tour in 1967, well after the release of "Pet Sounds" etc... and has routinely been out of touch with self-presentation for the near 55 years since!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 06:04:29 AM »

There's a limited palette of color in use on the photo in question. There are different ways to do that in Photoshop, but the results look like a colorized b&w image that makes heavy use of hue and saturation adjustments.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:06:49 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 07:29:29 AM »

After Shady's post explaining what this image was and where it came from, the bigger issue seems to be the reaction on Twitter, and it wasn't a reaction to the photo/image but rather the notion of the "Beach Boys" playing shows. It trended on Twitter because the original concert announcement started getting re-tweeted with negative comments about what/who is and what isn't the Beach Boys, and eventually some high-profile musicians and actors rewteeted it and commented with similar sentiments to and from their followers.

So there were hundreds of tweets circulating to thousands of followers which were negative reactions and comments, and that's not good PR. It was hard to find one positive comment among however many hundreds were commenting, and there was a lot of negativity directed at Mike.

I could say more but I won't for now. It's all on Twitter. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 09:26:40 AM »

It's kind of interesting, one can look at this from either extreme.

On the one hand, I'm sure someone could point out that the band has looked like this for over 20 years now, so why all of a sudden make a big deal about it?

Or, one could point out that maybe Mike has been pretty lucky overall for over 20 years that the branding issue as it pertains specifically to "authenticity" hasn't really hindered him much in terms of booking shows and selling tickets. It has capped or maxed out how big of a tour he can operate (C50 booked more large venues obviously), but Mike has had no problem with finding promoters or ticket buyers.

A lot of people like to try to draw parallels to other bands with few "original" members, but it's kind of hard to find an exact comparison. The Beach Boys have a couple of deceased members, but they also have five core members alive while only two are in the band that tours under the name. And, it's difficult to invoke the contention made for other aging bands with one or no original members that the band is just "keeping the music alive" and is doing as good as they can with as many original members as possible, because Brian, Al, and Dave's position vis-a-vis wanting or not wanting to be in the touring BBs has waxed and waned over the years, and in some cases (particularly Al in relation to rejoining Mike's band) has often seemed kind of murky and unclear. But you certainly can't say that Brian, Al, and Dave have never shown any interest in being in the band or reconstituting a fuller band.

Some sort of closer analogies would be people like Dennis DeYoung with Styx or Felder with the Eagles, where other members are actively excluding original/key members who are willing and able to participate.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »

On the one hand, I'm sure someone could point out that the band has looked like this for over 20 years now, so why all of a sudden make a big deal about it?

Could it also be because...Twitter?  Thud haha

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 09:33:31 AM »

After Shady's post explaining what this image was and where it came from, the bigger issue seems to be the reaction on Twitter, and it wasn't a reaction to the photo/image but rather the notion of the "Beach Boys" playing shows. It trended on Twitter because the original concert announcement started getting re-tweeted with negative comments about what/who is and what isn't the Beach Boys, and eventually some high-profile musicians and actors rewteeted it and commented with similar sentiments to and from their followers.

So there were hundreds of tweets circulating to thousands of followers which were negative reactions and comments, and that's not good PR. It was hard to find one positive comment among however many hundreds were commenting, and there was a lot of negativity directed at Mike.

I could say more but I won't for now. It's all on Twitter. 

Not to defend that tour promotional image, but this is certainly a case of the 20-plus-years status quo all of a sudden randomly causing a stir. As mentioned in my previous post, one can view this as much ado about nothing, or can view this as Mike being lucky for a couple decades and now having it come back to justifiably bite him (although, not really, because I'm sure the bookings and ticket sales will continue just fine).

Sometimes these random cases of singling this type of thing out can be deserved.

But BB fans should keep in mind that this type of dog pile on social media could easily go south on *all* of the members or on the name in general in other theoretical scenarios. I've said it before: I'm still amazed someone on social media frothing at the mouth to cancel *something* hasn't discovered, say "Hey Little Tomboy" or "Lazy Lizzie" or something like that.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 09:37:11 AM »

Could it also be because...Twitter?  Thud haha

Yes, of course. But as is always the case, this type of dog pile can sometimes be a case of people previously ignoring something worth complaining about for years, only to finally justifiably single it out, or it can be a case of trying to seek out something to complain about that should have left alone years ago.

As is also often the case, this recent thing with Mike is probably somewhere in between, for the reasons I've mentioned in the previous few posts. It's kind of laughable that only *now* 23 years later are people realizing that Mike's band is pretty light on "original" members, but I also don't really feel bad for Mike, because he's gone relatively unscathed over all these years when it comes to that aspect of his tour/band.

ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 10:20:27 AM »

I turned 4 in 1999 when David left the group again and it was reduced to two actual Beach Boys, so I've been seeing publicity photos like this (featuring both actual Beach Boys and sidemen) for as long as I can recall. If anything, I appreciate when stuff like this is used. Depending on which Facebook show page you find, some gigs there are being promoted with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra album cover art. That's obviously misleading, to say the least.

This is a photo of exactly who you're going to see on stage at these gigs. It's honest. An argument could be made to only advertise with Mike/Bruce photos, but I understand why Mike uses these.

I've said this before, but The Beach Boys have obviously been in a weird position for a long time, in contrast to other oldies acts.

Kiss tours with founders/owners Paul and Gene, and two other guys. Those two guys are not mere sidemen. They are front and center and help out with lead vocals. They are promoted as Members of Kiss. They don't co-own the brand or anything like that, but they are presented to the public as more than just backup players. The same holds true for Lawrence Gowan (who sings DeYoung's songs for Styx), Arnel Pineda (Journey's singer), and many others. It's also worth noting that, in all three of these examples, the original members that these guys replaced are still alive.

On a slightly different note, you have the current touring Eagles. They have three actual Eagles and some backup players, but they also bring along two others to help sing lead vocals. Those two aren't always promoted as Eagles Members, but are instead billed separately (The Eagles with Deacon Frey and Vince Gill).

For a long time, and particularly since Al left, The Touring Beach Boys have had many musicians beyond Mike and Bruce acting in prominent roles onstage, getting their own "spotlight" moments, and helping out (to put it mildly) with lead vocals. Yet these musicians are never referred to as Members of the Beach Boys. It's an oddity that was probably mostly unavoidable once Mike got the right to use the band's name for tours, but not new recordings. Even if Mike wanted to start calling Tim Bonhomme a Beach Boy, he would probably get in trouble with the Company at that point.

The closest comparison to Mike's Beach Boys might be the Monkees. They tour with a large band, but only two people in that band (Dolenz and Nesmith) are referred to as Members of the Monkees. Of course, they're also the only two who sing leads at the shows.

This is yet another reason why it's going to be weird if Bruce retires before Mike. You'd wind up with a "Beach Boys" touring operation with only one person who can legally call himself a Beach Boy. Even Mario Corbino can legally call himself a Temptation, and he's only been with that group since last year.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:48:46 PM by ExUpstairsCaptain » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx