gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:24:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl and Dennis funerals  (Read 1795 times)
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2021, 06:04:09 PM »

Does anybody have the info about the funerals besides where they were buried like who attended?
Did the beach boys go?

I’m sure pictures were taken? that would be very interesting and sad to see
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:05:14 PM by feelintheflows » Logged
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 09:47:07 AM »

Here's the LA Times' write-up of Carl's memorial service:

Remembering Carl Wilson: Carl Wilson’s son told about 400 people who gathered Tuesday to remember the late Beach Boy that his father will always be his hero. “He was and always will be our everything,” Justin Wilson, 26, said. “You truly are my one and only hero, and I love you.” Carl Wilson died last Friday at age 51 after a bout with cancer. Attendees at the Los Angeles memorial service included the surviving Beach Boy members: Carl’s brother, Brian Wilson; his cousin, Mike Love; and Alan Jardine and Bruce Johnston. Another Wilson brother and Beach Boy member, Dennis Wilson, died in a 1983 swimming accident. Cable’s VH1 will pay tribute to Wilson on Friday by airing the 1985 film biography “Beach Boys: An American Band” at 9 p.m.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-feb-12-ca-18148-story.html

I notice that some AP wire services from the event also mention Gerry Beckley being in attendance and speaking.

I have a vague idea that once upon a time a fan page had very detailed info about Carl's memorial service but that page may be no longer be operational.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 12:06:35 PM »

Outside of huge state funerals or other big events, I think the cultural norm is not for pictures to be taken at funerals. Some folks have done it or do it (larger gatherings might shoot video to preserve the words of speakers for instance), and who knows what people are doing in the social media age.

But however many funerals I've been to (I'd prefer not to literally count), I can't remember ever seeing anyone take photos or video.

In any event, I certainly don't believe any photos of gatherings for Dennis or Carl have ever surfaced, and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't exist.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 02:25:08 PM »

Regarding Denny's funeral, People magazine did a write-up in 1984..
http://www.cinetropic.com/blacktop/people/

At a 30-minute funeral service at an Inglewood, Calif. cemetery chapel three days after the drowning were his mother, Audree, the band members and close associates. And the women and children: Shawn, with whom Dennis had lived for almost three years; first wife Carol Freedman, 37, her son, Scott, 21, from a prior marriage, and her 16-year-old daughter, Jennifer, Dennis' oldest child; second wife Barbara Charren, 38, and their sons, Carl and Michael, 12 and 11; and Karen Lamm, who was married twice to Dennis during the late '70s.

By several accounts, the family was bitterly divided over the funeral and plans to bury Dennis at sea. The clan reportedly split into two factions, those allied with the Wilson family and those who fell into the Shawn Love Wilson camp, reflecting long-simmering rivalries within the Beach Boys themselves. At a family funeral conference, ex-wife Lamm reports, "I suggested playing Farewell My Friend [Dennis' 1977 song]. I also said I wanted to read a passage from Corinthians about unconditional love, which is what Dennis was all about. Shawn said, 'You can't read it.' She's not the nicest girl." Shawn and Jennifer wound up reading the text, and, with the backing of her mother, Shannon Jones, Shawn also had her way about the burial. Reportedly, when Dennis' brother Carl flew in from Colorado, he made plans to have Dennis buried in Inglewood Cemetery next to their father, Murray, who died in 1973. Shawn vetoed that plan, claiming that Dennis had told her he wanted to be buried at sea. Since the coroner would release the body only to Dennis' wife, the family had no choice but to accede to Shawn's demand.

I remember that Brian sided with Carl in opposing Shawn's burial-at-sea idea.  IIRC, Brian was still expressing unhappiness about it in an interview ~20 years later.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 03:33:28 PM »

Regarding Denny's funeral, People magazine did a write-up in 1984..
http://www.cinetropic.com/blacktop/people/

At a 30-minute funeral service at an Inglewood, Calif. cemetery chapel three days after the drowning were his mother, Audree, the band members and close associates. And the women and children: Shawn, with whom Dennis had lived for almost three years; first wife Carol Freedman, 37, her son, Scott, 21, from a prior marriage, and her 16-year-old daughter, Jennifer, Dennis' oldest child; second wife Barbara Charren, 38, and their sons, Carl and Michael, 12 and 11; and Karen Lamm, who was married twice to Dennis during the late '70s.

By several accounts, the family was bitterly divided over the funeral and plans to bury Dennis at sea. The clan reportedly split into two factions, those allied with the Wilson family and those who fell into the Shawn Love Wilson camp, reflecting long-simmering rivalries within the Beach Boys themselves. At a family funeral conference, ex-wife Lamm reports, "I suggested playing Farewell My Friend [Dennis' 1977 song]. I also said I wanted to read a passage from Corinthians about unconditional love, which is what Dennis was all about. Shawn said, 'You can't read it.' She's not the nicest girl." Shawn and Jennifer wound up reading the text, and, with the backing of her mother, Shannon Jones, Shawn also had her way about the burial. Reportedly, when Dennis' brother Carl flew in from Colorado, he made plans to have Dennis buried in Inglewood Cemetery next to their father, Murray, who died in 1973. Shawn vetoed that plan, claiming that Dennis had told her he wanted to be buried at sea. Since the coroner would release the body only to Dennis' wife, the family had no choice but to accede to Shawn's demand.

I remember that Brian sided with Carl in opposing Shawn's burial-at-sea idea.  IIRC, Brian was still expressing unhappiness about it in an interview ~20 years later.

I believe it was the  Steven Gaines book that stated Shawn wanted "Every Breath You Take" played at the funeral and that it was Carl's suggestion that "Farewell My Friend" be played instead and that the family had a meeting about the funeral for which Carl had arranged a limo to pick up Shawn. At the meeting "Farewell My Friend" was played and everybody broke down.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 04:30:00 PM »

Thank you all for the information, I know a lot about the beach boys considering they are my favorite band but this subject matter I didn’t know much about.

I do think burial at sea made the most sense. Dennis was the child of the sea. He was born near it, lived it, sang about it, and sadly died in it. Then was buried in it. His life came full circle.

We love and miss you DW. Dennis from Venice!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:30:26 PM by feelintheflows » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx