gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:16:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2022 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2021)  (Read 58346 times)
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 13, 2022, 03:26:09 PM »

Happy birthday Billy!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 03:28:08 PM by Zenobi » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 13, 2022, 07:46:02 PM »

“Mr Clean Living” looking high af and smoking a cigarette.
i don't think Mike has ever denied doing a little reefer back in the day. He drew the line at hard drugs - and more power to him.
I find it odd that we diss the guy with the courage of good sense to stay away from cocaine and heroin and all the other bad stuff, while the worst abusers are thought of as nearly saintly.
At least Carl was strong enough to get off whatever he was on in Australia. I sure wish Dennis had followed his example.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: August 13, 2022, 08:54:22 PM »

Happy birthday billy!

Thank you! I’m 44, look 54, feel 74, act 24. LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: August 13, 2022, 08:55:02 PM »

Happy birthday Billy!  Brian, Dennis, & Carl

Thank you 😎

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: August 13, 2022, 09:00:32 PM »

i don't think Mike has ever denied doing a little reefer back in the day. He drew the line at hard drugs - and more power to him.
I find it odd that we diss the guy with the courage of good sense to stay away from cocaine and heroin and all the other bad stuff, while the worst abusers are thought of as nearly saintly.
At least Carl was strong enough to get off whatever he was on in Australia. I sure wish Dennis had followed his example.

I wasn’t criticizing him for it! Just pointing out the fact that this was way before I was born; my earliest beach boys memory was the 86 anniversary special. Finding out he tried mescaline still blows my mind (pardon the pun). Hell, I keep having to go back and look at that stubbly Carl photo again. That was a really good look, but it just was so foreign to how I’m used to seeing him in that era that it just looks weird.

Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 14, 2022, 03:14:01 AM »

I don't diss Mike for staying away from hard drugs (though cigarettes are bad enough all on their own). Nor are my reasons for admiring Brian down to his substance abuse. I consider Brian far more talented and a more sympathetic person. And I think continually bringing up Brian's use of drugs is insensitive and self-satisfied of Mike. I don't smoke but I wouldn't continually criticise relatives who did - especially not if my career had been at the least significantly aided by their talent.
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 14, 2022, 06:45:45 PM »

As I understand it, Dennis kicked heroin, which reportedly was one of the things all three Wilson brothers were doing in Australia. Kicking "horse" is very difficult, but they did it. Unfortunately Dennis couldn't kick his other demons.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2022, 06:55:29 AM »

I'm unhappy that this, as too many discussions about the Beach Boys, has devolved into talking of drugs. ALL of them are so much more than their drug use,  or lack of it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 06:57:33 AM by Zenobi » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »

Same

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2022, 01:44:59 PM »

As I understand it, Dennis kicked heroin, which reportedly was one of the things all three Wilson brothers were doing in Australia. Kicking "horse" is very difficult, but they did it. Unfortunately Dennis couldn't kick his other demons.
That is good to hear.
I certainly wasn't trying to diss Dennis. Wish he was still here with us today.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 16, 2022, 09:26:01 AM »

I think the worst abusers are looked at sympathetically, not saintly, for their hard drug use. As for their psychedelic drug use, while many revere Brian's acid trips and marijuana use, I look at it with pure sadness....Brian says himself that the LSD usage shattered his mind. Studies have shown that marijuana actually triggers the part of the brain that harbors schizophrenia (in those predisposed to the illness). I have no idea if Brian heard voices before his first toke, but it certainly did not help his condition.

I admire Mike for staying away from all that stuff most of his life. I also feel sadness for the Wilson brothers who had a lot of demons they tried to silence with the use of hard drugs.

I would love to see an alternate reality where Brian and the rest of the guys never did drugs. Maybe Pet Sounds didn't happen in that alternate timeline. And I would happily trade/erase every memory of Pet Sounds from my mind and never hear it again if it meant Dennis was still with us, if it meant that Brian never shattered his brain with psychedelics, and perhaps if Carl didn't touch smokes he'd still be blessing us with his angelic voice.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 16, 2022, 12:22:02 PM »

I think the worst abusers are looked at sympathetically, not saintly, for their hard drug use. As for their psychedelic drug use, while many revere Brian's acid trips and marijuana use, I look at it with pure sadness....Brian says himself that the LSD usage shattered his mind. Studies have shown that marijuana actually triggers the part of the brain that harbors schizophrenia (in those predisposed to the illness). I have no idea if Brian heard voices before his first toke, but it certainly did not help his condition.

I admire Mike for staying away from all that stuff most of his life. I also feel sadness for the Wilson brothers who had a lot of demons they tried to silence with the use of hard drugs.

I would love to see an alternate reality where Brian and the rest of the guys never did drugs. Maybe Pet Sounds didn't happen in that alternate timeline. And I would happily trade/erase every memory of Pet Sounds from my mind and never hear it again if it meant Dennis was still with us, if it meant that Brian never shattered his brain with psychedelics, and perhaps if Carl didn't touch smokes he'd still be blessing us with his angelic voice.
I couldn't have said it any better. Thank you.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: August 16, 2022, 01:28:05 PM »

A little late, but man, how can people forget THIS picture of Brian with a hat?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 16, 2022, 02:19:40 PM »

I'm unhappy that this, as too many discussions about the Beach Boys, has devolved into talking of drugs. ALL of them are so much more than their drug use,  or lack of it.

Quoting my own post. You guys you just can't stop, I see.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 16, 2022, 02:54:09 PM »

Quoting my own post. You guys you just can't stop, I see.

Zenobi, this is a message forum where discussions fluidly meander across many topics that do relate to the band. Discussions about POB can evolve into talking about Dennis' death, discussions about 'Let It Shine' can evolve into talking about Landy's psychological torment of Brian. Sometimes uncomfortable topics about the band are brought up - it's not against the rules nor is it taboo. It's just the way online forums work. If you feel bothered by a topic, you can easily scroll past...I do it often here and elsewhere.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: August 16, 2022, 06:53:58 PM »

How *did* we get on this subject again, anyway?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: August 16, 2022, 06:57:53 PM »

A little late, but man, how can people forget THIS picture of Brian with a hat?

lol that used to be my avatar here

Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 17, 2022, 08:38:26 AM »

Yes I remember! Much better than the mustard (though I love mustard!). Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 09:04:12 AM by Zenobi » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: August 17, 2022, 01:26:58 PM »

😎

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 21, 2022, 09:30:44 PM »

The only reason anyone is dissing Mike is because he make such a stink about being clean living and he’s always criticizing the Wilson brothers’ substance use, when in the meantime he used drugs and smoked cigarettes too. In other words, people are criticizing his hypocrisy.

I’d also note that equating being able to get off hard drugs with “strength” is not accurate. Drug use and addiction have a lot of factors and putting it down to “strength” is essentially making a moral judgement about it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 09:32:27 PM by marcella27 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: August 22, 2022, 09:16:53 PM »

B

The only reason anyone is dissing Mike is because he make such a stink about being clean living and he’s always criticizing the Wilson brothers’ substance use, when in the meantime he used drugs and smoked cigarettes too. In other words, people are criticizing his hypocrisy.

I’d also note that equating being able to get off hard drugs with “strength” is not accurate. Drug use and addiction have a lot of factors and putting it down to “strength” is essentially making a moral judgement about it.

Completely agreed

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 30, 2022, 03:58:14 AM »

London now officially cancelled

Brian Wilson: Good Vibrations - The Greatest Hits Tour - Royal Albert Hall, London
Hi there,

This event has been cancelled...

The event organisers have been in touch to let us know that the show originally on 24 June 2022 has now been cancelled - we're sorry we couldn't let you know sooner.

The following statement has been issued:

"We are emailing as you have booked tickets for Brian Wilson at Royal Albert Hall on 24 June 2022.

As we previously indicated via email, the performance by Brian Wilson on 24 June 2022 did not take place.

Despite our Programming Team working hard to secure a re-arranged date for this incredible show, unfortunately we’ve been unable to achieve this. We are therefore contacting you to confirm that we have had to cancel this event.

Thank you for your patience, and please accept our apologies for the time it has taken to conclude this matter."

We’re issuing a refund for your booking - so you don't need to do a thing. You'll see a credit onto the method of payment you used within 15 days.

What happens if my card has expired?

If you've had a replacement card, or your bank account has closed, please visit here for more information.

If you sold your tickets on our Ticket Exchange and haven't already received payment, your sale will not go ahead - you will be refunded the cost of your original booking instead.

Please understand that our Fan Support teams are incredibly busy at the moment, so we encourage you not to contact us. Instead, you can find lots of information and answers to your questions in our information portal.

We're sorry for any disappointment caused.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Best Wishes,
Ticketmaster Customer Service
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 07, 2022, 03:20:55 PM »

Just watched videos from the last BW show — Pine Knob — not sure what to say. I appreciate everyone’s discretion, but now that a new months have passed, I wish we had a better understanding of what was going on. The show I saw a month and change before had rough moments, but it was recognizably part of the same continuum of shows I had seen dating back to 1999.

This was something else entirely. Love to all.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 06:32:49 PM by Wirestone » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: December 08, 2022, 06:41:11 AM »

Yes, I think that last run of shows Brian did was something that probably shouldn't have happened, for multiple reasons on multiple levels. As I said at the time, I suspect had they not been joint dates with Chicago, the tour may well have either not happened at all, or been canceled earlier on.

The shows did Brian no favors, and I don't think it was particularly fair to charge fans to see a show like that. I think all involved were stunningly lucky both Brian fans *and* Chicago fans were so sympathetic (and/or weren't paying attention) and that Brian's rough shape didn't become an even bigger blown-up story. I think Brian and everybody in his camp should, apart from everything else, be heartened by fact that his fans *didn't* come away from those shows frothing at the mouth angry and asking for refunds, because they understand Brian's deal and are the most sympathetic and empathetic to it.

There's an argument/discussion that could be had regarding whether some folks (whether it's participants in the shows, and/or fans) should have perhaps been *more* vocal about Brian being in such rough shape and questioning whether the shows should continue, but there was and is always plenty of time after the fact to wade into those issues if one is inclined to. I'm not quick to judge or assume what anybody else should have or could have done, while I'm also not opposed to having such discussions either. It's obviously a difficult, sticky situation for everybody.

By the end of the tour, I think even the most overly-forgiving fans at that point kind of just took a step back and realized these shows couldn't continue (and may well not happen again), and just hope that Brian's general health and well-being and happiness are in good shape, and it's just a case of not being in live singing performance shape. That's really the best we can hope for.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 08, 2022, 10:50:05 AM »

I realize that I contributed to this thread months earlier, but I hadn't taken the time to actually watch footage from that last show. In large part, good-quality video and audio wasn't being regularly posted at the time. But yesterday my curiosity got the better of me.

More than anything else posted of Brian since the Landy years and immediately before, this is difficult stuff.*

As someone who cares about Brian and all the guys, I want them to be well and happy. Brian has from time to time let band members pick up missed lines, and he has pointed at Al to take lead vocals. But what I see in these videos is BW randomly shutting down in the middle of lines. He's not just quiet and reserved onstage, but withdrawn and morose. His range and pitch seem pretty much the same as the last 10-15 years, but that doesn't make up for the rest.

I agree that it's remarkable everyone gave Brian a sympathetic reaction. The headlines could have been vicious. For that matter, I wrote about the 80th birthday show I saw, but I don't know that I could have managed a piece about those later performances. I'm sure someone somewhere has heard rumors, but I've been reluctant to bug people because it seems tacky.

However, this does get me to a point I've never been to before.

Unless BW and his folks level with folks about what's going on -- and something clearly is -- he should not tour again. I don't think it's fair to sell tickets without more clarity about the role and capacity of the lead performer. This isn't part of the debate we've had for 23 years now about Brian touring. This is different. I think we all understands this, and I just wish everyone the very best.

* To be crystal clear, I do not believe BW is being manipulated or abused. This footage is difficult in other ways.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 10:53:12 AM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx