gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:43:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2022 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2021)  (Read 58351 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 12, 2022, 10:00:16 AM »

Yes, Jimmy is the trombone player and an original member of Chicago. He has been there for most of the tour but disappeared sometime shortly after July 4. I’ve read on Facebook that it may be related to shoulder surgery.

That’s really too bad that they aren’t mixing things up a bit. I’m too young to have gone to the previous Beachago tours, and thought this would be the next best thing. The band members are obviously all talented and flexible enough that I’d think it would be easy for, for instance, Al to come out and do backing vocals or a verse on one or two Chicago songs, or vice versa with Robert Lamm doing a BB song. Like they did during Beachago shows. Seems a big shame to me not to take advantage of the fact that you have arguably the two greatest American rock/pop bands touring together! 

I’m seeing them tomorrow night and am still looking forward to it, but feel like I miscalculated. I thought about going to one of the very early shows, but then figured that they'd be more likely to loosen up as the tour went on and there’d be a greater chance of them doing some interesting stuff. Guess I was made the wrong call. I saw the last show of the Something Great tour with the Zombies, and for the encore everyone from both bands was out on stage together! 

Agreed. I’m also too young to have gone to prior Beachago shows so I totally get it. I’m not a huge fan of Wishing You Were Here but it would’ve been nice to hear it and see Al and some of Brian’s band with Chicago. Chicago’s encore is two songs only, if that helps. I can tell you that they had a lot of distance to travel overnight from MA to NJ, so that also could depend on time between shows, I hope? I didn’t know that the tour with the Zombies ended with a joint encore for the last show.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 12, 2022, 11:01:36 AM »

Made the mistake of reading the thread about this tour on Reddit on r/beachboys and I really wish I hadn’t.  If anybody thinks this or the other forum is too hostile and/or negative…sheesh. It was a bit revealing to see how this tour is looked at outside these circles but damn.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rz33
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2022, 08:00:56 AM »

Long time reader, my first post here. First off-life long Beach Boys fan, been going to shows since 1976 and have seen all different versions of the band.

Just a few comments as I went to the show Sunday night in Mansfield, MA-I went to see Brian, staying for Chicago was a bonus to me.

This was there first show after being off for a week-Brian played for 75 minutes from 7:00-8:15 and then Chicago from 9:00-10:45.

The two bands do NOT perform anything together which Al seemed to mention in a recent interview, as they did the first few shows of the tour.

I was there to see Brian Wilson and his band, they delivered with a great 20 song set. The tough thing about the show as they played with the sun still out, which meant no real use of the video screens. As people have said, Brian is physically in tough shape as he does need assistance with a walker to get to the piano and then leave, he couldn't even stand up straight. Never left the piano, sang more than I thought he would and there were at least 2 impromptu standing ovations and the band just stopped and did the same pointing towards Brain-just pure magic to me.

On a personal level, I am not sure how much longer Brian can physically do these tours, but I wanted to be there as I am not sure when he will be back in the Boston area.

If you get the chance go see them and by the way Chicago did deliver, but I wouid have been ok leaving at 8:15 when Fun, Fun, Fun ended.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2022, 11:53:16 AM »

Long time reader, my first post here. First off-life long Beach Boys fan, been going to shows since 1976 and have seen all different versions of the band.

Just a few comments as I went to the show Sunday night in Mansfield, MA-I went to see Brian, staying for Chicago was a bonus to me.

This was there first show after being off for a week-Brian played for 75 minutes from 7:00-8:15 and then Chicago from 9:00-10:45.

The two bands do NOT perform anything together which Al seemed to mention in a recent interview, as they did the first few shows of the tour.

I was there to see Brian Wilson and his band, they delivered with a great 20 song set. The tough thing about the show as they played with the sun still out, which meant no real use of the video screens. As people have said, Brian is physically in tough shape as he does need assistance with a walker to get to the piano and then leave, he couldn't even stand up straight. Never left the piano, sang more than I thought he would and there were at least 2 impromptu standing ovations and the band just stopped and did the same pointing towards Brain-just pure magic to me.

On a personal level, I am not sure how much longer Brian can physically do these tours, but I wanted to be there as I am not sure when he will be back in the Boston area.

If you get the chance go see them and by the way Chicago did deliver, but I wouid have been ok leaving at 8:15 when Fun, Fun, Fun ended.

Good stuff, thanks for the review!

Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2022, 07:36:47 AM »

Regarding Al's voice, I watched a few videos shot this month. Al seems fine on Sloop John B, but he seems to struggle with Help Me Rhonda. Hope that's temporary.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2022, 04:57:39 PM »

I saw Brian open for Chicago in Saratoga, NY last week. I hated seeing it, but Brian seemed like he was almost dead. He only sang on GOK, Be My Baby, and Surfer Girl, and I could barely hear him. I really hope he's OK (or as OK as someone like Brian can be). (Part of me is wondering if he's having the same issues that caused him to cancel those 2018 shows, and that he didn't cancel this time around because of contractual obligations with Chicago or whoever handles their business.) The band sounded perfect, just like every previous time I've seen them, but Al and Matt carried the bulk of the show, with heavy assists from Blondie and Darian.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2022, 01:38:02 AM »

Have kept the thought to myself until now. After seeing clips from this tour I would not be shocked if Brian does not make the stage at some point in the next 5 shows. 2022 could be it for performing whether he wants it or not.

Sorry…But it needs saying. 😥
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2022, 05:00:24 AM »

I'm always there to defend Brian's stage presence. But if he really isn't happy being there, if he is scared and just wants to go home, I hope/pray that those around him are encouraging him to do whatever makes him comfortable. While I firmly believe that Brian being out/active is really good for him mentally, perhaps the physical toll is catching up with him (his back) and it is affecting (or is it effecting? I can never got those right) his mentality in a very negative way. I do believe his band, those around him have good heart's and want what is best for Brian.

And I do believe that Brian wants to tour (I just don't see who really benefits from forcing an 80 year old man to tour - the Wilson's make bank off of royalties and I'm sure other business ventures), and if he's happy for the most part, then he should do what he wants to do. But I also hope his doctors are keeping an eye on him (I'm sure they are). I also hope Brian doesn't feel obligated to tour. His band can literally keep touring without him, heck they could probably release some pretty amazing albums themselves and continue to make a great name for themselves. He doesn't need to prove anything to anyone anymore. Perhaps he just doesn't want to let go of life...to be forced to give up something that has defined him his whole life.

Gotta be real sad.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2022, 10:49:31 AM »

(Part of me is wondering if he's having the same issues that caused him to cancel those 2018 shows, and that he didn't cancel this time around because of contractual obligations with Chicago or whoever handles their business.)

This is good thinking, and sadly seems very plausible.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2022, 09:16:12 PM »

I don't see any reason that the musicians can't continue to tour as "The Brian Wilson Band". They have an excellent reputation.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2022, 06:19:24 AM »

The idea of having a Brian-less "Brian Wilson Band" touring has been thrown around since, probably Brian first started touring in 1999.

While I suppose it seems a bit more plausible now than it did 20+ years ago given how forgiving and sympathetic ticket buyers currently are for seeing a show without a lot of Brian involvement, and having Al, Matt, and Blondie continue on would certainly bolster that, I'd still wager it's unlikely to happen.

I just don't think the bookings would be there, on the scale of the type of venue Brian has been booking. Him being there on stage *is* still the draw. And while Al and Blondie still seem in solid shape overall, I'm not sure how much they want to be on tour for long periods of time either.

I could see Brian's backing guys sticking together for the occasional club gig, or longer club tours and perhaps some small theaters and fairs that cater to cover bands. They would indeed immediately by leaps and bounds be the premiere tribute band on the market. But the idea of a "Brian Wilson Band" minus Brian touring sheds and theaters for weeks and months at a time, I just don't think that's likely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2022, 06:22:50 AM »

I saw the July 13 show in Camden and have been meaning to post my thoughts. As with many of the other reviews I’ve seen, at this particular show Brian sang very little. If I recall correctly, he did California Girls, parts of Do It Again, Be My Baby, and Heroes and Villains. He sang GOK but, as others have noted, really struggled with the higher parts and ended up dropping them down an octave, which didn’t sound great. I will say that his voice sounded pretty strong on H&V. I had really good seats and was seated directly in front of Brian, so I could see his facial expressions very clearly. While he did not interact with the audience much at all (I think he might have said one thing), he was definitely engaged in the sense that he was watching the other band members quite intently and obviously listening to them. All in all, my opinion (based on this particular show and also having seen him every year for the past several years) is that he probably does want to tour, but quite frankly, his vocal abilities are becoming quite limited. Which is not really that surprising considering his age and physical ailments and the fact that singing requires a fair bit of physical strength. I came away from the Camden show thinking that this may be it for Brian and touring - not because of mental health, but because his voice just isn’t really there anymore. Of course, I could be wrong but that’s what I saw. He DID try on a number of songs but it just wasn’t happening and when he did sing, he seemed to be struggling. It is indeed very sad but just one of those things that comes with aging and other physical ailments.  I’m sure it’s very difficult for him to not be able to do the things he used to do.

I am continually impressed by how tough this man is and, as an aside, I am SO sick of seeing comments (not here, more on Facebook and whatnot) mentioning the walker. It amazes me that people have no qualms about making these really ableist comments about the walker as though anyone who uses an assistive device should be hidden away at home and not in the public eye. It’s so offensive.

Al’s voice is still great but certainly there has been a decline in the last year or two. Again, this is to be expected given their ages. On the other hand, Blondie still sounds amazing, but then again I think he’s several years younger than Brian and Al and I think that makes a huge difference.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2022, 07:21:01 AM »

I saw the July 13 show in Camden and have been meaning to post my thoughts. As with many of the other reviews I’ve seen, at this particular show Brian sang very little. If I recall correctly, he did California Girls, parts of Do It Again, Be My Baby, and Heroes and Villains. He sang GOK but, as others have noted, really struggled with the higher parts and ended up dropping them down an octave, which didn’t sound great. I will say that his voice sounded pretty strong on H&V. I had really good seats and was seated directly in front of Brian, so I could see his facial expressions very clearly. While he did not interact with the audience much at all (I think he might have said one thing), he was definitely engaged in the sense that he was watching the other band members quite intently and obviously listening to them. All in all, my opinion (based on this particular show and also having seen him every year for the past several years) is that he probably does want to tour, but quite frankly, his vocal abilities are becoming quite limited. Which is not really that surprising considering his age and physical ailments and the fact that singing requires a fair bit of physical strength. I came away from the Camden show thinking that this may be it for Brian and touring - not because of mental health, but because his voice just isn’t really there anymore. Of course, I could be wrong but that’s what I saw. He DID try on a number of songs but it just wasn’t happening and when he did sing, he seemed to be struggling. It is indeed very sad but just one of those things that comes with aging and other physical ailments.  I’m sure it’s very difficult for him to not be able to do the things he used to do.

I am continually impressed by how tough this man is and, as an aside, I am SO sick of seeing comments (not here, more on Facebook and whatnot) mentioning the walker. It amazes me that people have no qualms about making these really ableist comments about the walker as though anyone who uses an assistive device should be hidden away at home and not in the public eye. It’s so offensive.

Al’s voice is still great but certainly there has been a decline in the last year or two. Again, this is to be expected given their ages. On the other hand, Blondie still sounds amazing, but then again I think he’s several years younger than Brian and Al and I think that makes a huge difference.

Thank you so much for this review. And I completely agree with your comments about the walker. Anymore I avoid the threads about Brian's touring on other forums/reddit because of how offensive people can be regarding Brian. And per my comment above, I completely understand that people have concerns (some of them valid due to how Brian has acted on stage recently), but you hit the nail right on the head: "It amazes me that people have no qualms about making these really ableist comments about the walker as though anyone who uses an assistive device should be hidden away at home and not in the public eye."

Brian has layers upon layers of complexity going on - mentally, physically, emotionally, etc.. Brian gets panic attacks for seemingly no logical reason. Brian hears voices in his head daily (voices that tell him he is no good, that his music sucks, etc). He has some major back issues. He has mild manic depression (last I heard, anyways). So when Brian looks worried on stage, he may be hearing voices. When Brian looks like he's in pain, he's probably feeling pain in his back.

And sadly Brian is going to hear those voices at home. He's going to feel the pain in his back at home. He's perhaps going to feel more depressed cooped up at home than out on the open road. There is no easy answer. It's not black and white. The answer isn't to cover our eyes and say "everything is totally fine!" and the answer also isn't "Clearly Brian is being controlled and he is being forced to tour against his will so Melinda can keep raking in the money."

I think both of those extremes completely ignore the complexity of Brian's situation.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2022, 08:03:40 AM »

Sadly, "ableism" has always been the name of the game when many (too many) people talk of Brian Wilson.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 08:04:44 AM by Zenobi » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2022, 03:51:18 PM »

Here are 2022 tour dates for Brian Wilson (which, as we can imagine, are always subject to change). Archived 2021 dates and setlists are found below the 2022 schedule below:

2022:

Other Dates:

August 7, 2022 - Kelowna, BC, Canada -- Rock The Lake Music Festival
September 21, 2022 - Knoxville, TN - Tennessee Theatre
September 22, 2022 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
September 24, 2022 - Johnson City, TN - ETSU Martin Center for the Arts
November 18-20, 2022 - Mexico City, Mexico - Corona Capital Festival

Thanks to Kapitan at BBT for finding this:

https://www.kamloopsbcnow.com/watercooler/news/news/Kelowna/1_week_until_Rock_The_Lake_Nazareth_replaces_Brian_Wilson_in_the_lineup/#fs_114550

There are no longer any tour dates posted on Brian's website. Cancelled for health reasons, reportedly.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 03:53:20 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2022, 05:18:38 PM »

Sadly, "ableism" has always been the name of the game when many (too many) people talk of Brian Wilson.

Truer words were never spoken.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2022, 05:42:37 PM »

Here are 2022 tour dates for Brian Wilson (which, as we can imagine, are always subject to change). Archived 2021 dates and setlists are found below the 2022 schedule below:

2022:

Other Dates:

August 7, 2022 - Kelowna, BC, Canada -- Rock The Lake Music Festival
September 21, 2022 - Knoxville, TN - Tennessee Theatre
September 22, 2022 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
September 24, 2022 - Johnson City, TN - ETSU Martin Center for the Arts
November 18-20, 2022 - Mexico City, Mexico - Corona Capital Festival

Thanks to Kapitan at BBT for finding this:

https://www.kamloopsbcnow.com/watercooler/news/news/Kelowna/1_week_until_Rock_The_Lake_Nazareth_replaces_Brian_Wilson_in_the_lineup/#fs_114550

There are no longer any tour dates posted on Brian's website. Cancelled for health reasons, reportedly.

Something had to give…each show it seemed harder than the last. Maybe now some of the people making offensive comments can shut the hell up (mainly speaking of Reddit…. Lots of potential libel there)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2022, 05:52:10 PM »

For sure, Billy. I actively avoid social media comments. The message boards can be rough enough at times.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 06:39:52 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 29, 2022, 09:54:51 PM »

The BB Reddit page is truly awful. Avoid at all costs.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2022, 07:09:51 AM »

Billy, now "they" get to say that they were right all the time... Also, gloat.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 07:23:36 AM by Zenobi » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2022, 07:52:21 AM »

Billy, now "they" get to say that they were right all the time...

They perhaps will say it, but their standpoint is still not backed up by any presentable facts.

Brian is 80 years old, so health issues are just a given. Brian may be done touring for good, or he may just be going through a health slump. Who knows. Some are even berating management for not announcing Brian's complete retirement from touring lol. It's interesting because these fans supposedly care about Brian's well-being, yet they have zero respect for the possibility that Brian does want to tour. These people act as if it's a fact that Brian is a 'Weekend At Bernie's' dead guy who is being controlled by Melinda or Darian or whoever. These fans have no respect for Brian's dignity (and clearly no respect for those around Brian) - they see him as a vegetable which is why they talk as if he is one.

When in reality, Brian is a walking/talking/breathing human who has said on countless occasions that he does like to tour these days (yet these fans don't believe him). Brian is clearly going through some health issues and management is supposed to immediately announce the complete cancellation of any future tours? Come on.

I just hope that he is doing well and that whatever is decided about the touring, Brian's life, etc, that it will make him happy, comfortable, and at peace with life.

They have some great discussion there, and a lot of people there are truly passionate about the music. But it sure is ground zero for the "Brian is being forced against his will" conspiracy theories. Any thread regarding Brian's touring is pure cancer on that site. Also, their take on the new Sounds of Summer was so over-the-top, you'd think someone had burned all The Beach Boys masters in a heaping inferno on a street in Berlin.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: July 30, 2022, 02:57:30 PM »

Billy, now "they" get to say that they were right all the time... Also, gloat.

It’s disgusting. There, Hoffman, and two specific people at EH… the term “libel” must not mean anything to them. Some of the things I read definitely crossed a line.

Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2022, 02:26:27 AM »

Billy, now "they" get to say that they were right all the time...

They perhaps will say it, but their standpoint is still not backed up by any presentable facts.

Brian is 80 years old, so health issues are just a given. Brian may be done touring for good, or he may just be going through a health slump. Who knows. Some are even berating management for not announcing Brian's complete retirement from touring lol. It's interesting because these fans supposedly care about Brian's well-being, yet they have zero respect for the possibility that Brian does want to tour. These people act as if it's a fact that Brian is a 'Weekend At Bernie's' dead guy who is being controlled by Melinda or Darian or whoever. These fans have no respect for Brian's dignity (and clearly no respect for those around Brian) - they see him as a vegetable which is why they talk as if he is one.

When in reality, Brian is a walking/talking/breathing human who has said on countless occasions that he does like to tour these days (yet these fans don't believe him). Brian is clearly going through some health issues and management is supposed to immediately announce the complete cancellation of any future tours? Come on.

I just hope that he is doing well and that whatever is decided about the touring, Brian's life, etc, that it will make him happy, comfortable, and at peace with life.

They have some great discussion there, and a lot of people there are truly passionate about the music. But it sure is ground zero for the "Brian is being forced against his will" conspiracy theories. Any thread regarding Brian's touring is pure cancer on that site. Also, their take on the new Sounds of Summer was so over-the-top, you'd think someone had burned all The Beach Boys masters in a heaping inferno on a street in Berlin.

I've heard from people who know him (and not just press releases from Brian's management) that he wants to tour but I'm sure that with his health problems there are times when it is difficult for him. There may have been other health problems we don't know about - and hopefully of a temporary nature so things will improve before too long. Fans claiming Brian 'should' retire or that he is being 'forced' into doing something are overstepping the mark IMO. If you honestly believe that Brian shouldn't be touring, don't go to his shows.

The other thing that annoys me is how often do we hear people telling Mike he shouldn't tour? He's even older and whilst he doesn't have the same health problems, the last I heard, his voice wasn't great.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:28:29 AM by Angela Jones » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 01, 2022, 05:38:38 AM »

This is a complicated issue w/ many facets but here's my take , and I say this all as a diehard BW/BB fan, i love em like crazy.

I saw BW band in Illinois near the end of the tour. This is my 5th BW show and I've seen many videos from recently, so I went in knowing what to expect. A mostly silent BW looking uncomfortable and hardly participating. That description could've been applied in '76 and '82, or even as recent as the final shows before break during the pandemic. But this time something was different. His visible dismay and audible pain when singing made his QueenMary81 performance seem a hell of a lot less jarring in comparison.

We know about BW's mental and physical ailments which have bothered him since the 60's. But whether it's the back pain, mental issues, or simply aging, (probably a combo of the 3) *something* is taking a major toll on his well being- it's obvious. I sat very close to the stage, and saw him shifting in his chair just like I do w my severe chronic backpain. He was typically frowning and 100% unresponsive to his band's stage banter whether they were asking him questions or instructing him to sing the following song or section.

Something we've seen increase over the last few years, but drastically during this tour is BW not finishing lines or not singing complete sections he normally easily tackles. For reference (from memory) :

Cal Girls: Sang lead well, but didn't finish some of the lines and dropped many words, only hitting crucial ones
Do It Again: Brian sings first line or two, but Al comes to the rescue when he drops out completely
IGA / LDC : Al/Matt/Gary all filling in for where BW would've sang (tho, Al has been doing the latter for a few years now)
Surfer Girl: BW sings "We could ride the surf together" but none of the rest of the bridge, and no one filled in leaving just the harmonies and instruments.
DWB/Blondie songs: No vocal BW participation, played a little piano during SOS. Instructed by Blondie sing LPR bridge but only sang the first line with others filling in
WIBN/Sloop: No participation from BW. WIBN B section that he'd have normally sung was done by Al. Al encouraged BW to sing harmony during Sloop but he didn't
GOK: Brian sung the verses, dropping the octave on high notes as he's been doing, and for the most part sung well and in pitch
Darlin: No participation from BW
Be My Baby: He starts the lines and sounds really sweet, but doesn't seem to have the performance strength to finish them. still a highlight for sure
ICHM: No BW participation
Heroes & Villians: Brian sings verses and sounds surprisingly at his best of the whole show.
GV/Rhonda/USA/FFF: Brian manages a few words during GV verses but no other participation through the end of the show

I don't think his lack of participation has anything to do with playing hits or "Mike setlists" because for as long as BW's been touring, they've sprinkled in all of the deep cuts, but managed to always include these core hits that people expect to hear. They've always included the surf hits and PS anthems, These recent sets are just those sets with the deep cuts shaved off. And LPR, ICHM, and H&V I'd still consider deep cut territory.

With all this said, Brian's pitch is still really good when he does sing. And his voice does sound remarkably sweet still. When he sung, my dad would turn to me and say "still the same voice!" which is in essence true. He's older and it's evolved, but it still that sweetness that was present in every era, despite all of the changes his voice would go through. He still has that BW California kinda sweetness to his voice. It sounds very pained, but still produces a great beauty.

Onto the others.

Al was fabulous. He was MCing for much of the show, mixing up his words like usual. It adds charm and unintended humor to the show. High notes seem slightly harder for him (Rhonda is now played in C instead of Db) , but in general his voice still sounds nearly identical to his 60's voice. And there have been times when he was sick since the 60's where he got real raspy on high notes, and now knowing what we know about his C-19 status he could've been sick already. But his performance was TOP NOTCH. He was enjoying himself, singing great harmonies, and playing guitar very well. His guitar playing gets knocked a lot- I think it largely depends on the night, because on this night his amp was turned up nice and clear, and his playing especially stuck out when he played his Jag- even playing lead on SOS (during song- Blondie played solos during long interludes) . Al's guitar playing was really great. I think some nights his hands may be sore, or his mind might be on something else, but in general, when he's 'in the mode' he's an excellent guitarist and was showing it off.

Blondie was a lot of fun too. His solos felt a little long, almost to the point where several other BB/BW songs could've been played in place of his several minute solos, but I think it gives Blondie a chance to show off his ability and showmanship, and give BW, and likely even Al at this point, some time to recuperate. Blondie's showmanship is outta sight, and he sounded just as great as ever. His vocals were really nice on his three songs, and he was onstage for most of the show compared to being a guest on only a few songs in the beginning  of his tenure w BW band. His presence, singing, guitar playing, and honestly, super outta sight tambourine playing adds a lot of energy and "BeachBoy" to the show.

The rest of the band was absolutely incredible as always. They're simply masters at what they do .

Overall, like all of the BW/BB shows I've seen, it was a spiritual, dare I say religious experience. The music is the best ever made, and it is delivered with so much passion. Being at these shows is like a slice of heaven. To hear this amazing music live is such a treat and I cherish every time I'm able to . I'm so so so  thankful for Brian, Blondie, Al, the band, and crew for these amazing shows. It's a blessing in my life to be able to see these shows- BW, M&B, Dean, TouringMember tribute bands- they're all so special . It brings me an infinite amount of joy.

As for the recent cancellations, and BW's state during this past tour--- I really think this might be it fellas. I'm no doctor, but his health seems to be in decline. But this is BW after all, and there has been doubt cast (publically among fans and in his personal life) on his ability to tour and state of health in general since 1964. He's been proving naysayers wrong for nearly 60
Galaxy Liz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2022, 05:42:15 AM »

The rest of the tour in the USA, Mexico and Canada has been cancelled.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx