gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:25:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 60th Anniversary celebration and definitive doc to be announced soon  (Read 6055 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »

Whatever happens, we must include Rocky Pamplin in this!!! Shocked

Classic Marty!

I've been reading Rocky's book lately (I'm a slow reader) but I can't say it's very good. I'd probably rate it on par with his vocal performance on his version of California Feelin'.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:55:23 PM by thetojo » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2021, 07:07:04 AM »

Did you ever consider that some people live in areas where they can only get spotty Internet and/or they can't afford a bunch of streaming services?

Sure, but you seemed to say you simply prefer to own physical media. Which, I can say, most of us do. Your position seem to indicate you'd prefer a doc to either go straight to physical media release, or I suppose be released day-and-date on disc and streaming. I and a few others have pointed out that that idea ignores how streaming services work (the point is to have exclusive content, at least during a certain window, to entice people to join the service), and ignores that getting a streamer on board is the *best* way to procure a good budget for a documentary and get *far wider* distribution for people to see it.

The point would be to have a documentary that's something more like "The Beatles Anthology" and not so much like Billy Hinsche's home-made straight-to-DVD documentaries (which are just fine; I'm just using that as an example of a project made with essentially next to zero budget and few resources).

If someone says "Man, I wish I could watch this on a streamer, but my area doesn't have fast enough internet", I of course would not then continue to advise them to try it. Stuff can be streamed in SD at a pretty low bitrate via most streaming services, so unless an area has no option but dial-up, I'm not sure it would be difficult to stream video even with lower speed old DSL, or what have you. But sure, I'm aware there are rural areas where streaming can't be done (or done easily or cheaply, meaning without a satellite internet set up, etc.).

As for cost, as several folks have been saying, many of the streaming services have free trials.

And, the monthly cost of even the most expensive large streaming service is still cheaper than a DVD or Blu-ray set would be of a BB documentary.

Watching a BB doc on a streaming services wouldn't require "a bunch" of subscriptions. It would only take one, and I'd guess it would probably only require one month or maybe even a single day to watch it all, depending on the length of the doc and whether, if it's in multiple parts, the service drops all episodes at once or releases them weekly.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:09:53 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2021, 09:10:06 AM »

HeyJude, you mistake what I am saying.  I do wish to own a physical copy of this doc, and I would happily go see it in a theater. I live in a semi-rural area where streaming doesn't work well, due to spotty Internet service and constant buffering. I don't mind that the doc goes to streamers, I just want it to be available to an audience beyond streaming and pay-per-view.

I'll leave the gnawing on the issue to others here, I'm done with it. I hope it's a great documentary, and look forward to seeing it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2021, 09:48:03 AM »

Sure, understood. I just wanted to point out that going to a streaming service for something like this is more than simply a format preference or distribution issue.

In these cases, the streamer is not simply a distribution hub, but also the entity funding and co-producing or producing the programming. Sometimes, it's Netflix or Amazon or HBO Max, or nothing at all.

And also, casting the widest net with the programming is important as well, and for many reasons, a streaming service is absolutely ideal for a long-form or multi-part BB documentary. It not only gets it out to more people, but it's a format that people equate with streaming services now, so that programming and format all feed off of each other. And the BBs truly need a *multi-part* documentary series. It just can't all be covered in 90-120 minutes like "An American Band" or "Endless Harmony." Maybe the BBs don't require 10 hours like "The Beatles Anthology" (I'm not sure a lot of coverage is needed of the Summer 1995 tour or whatever), but one of those streaming services putting out a 4 to 6-part documentary totaling 5 or 6 hours would be great.

I would guess that if a streaming service picks up a multi-part BB documentary, it will *eventually* be released on disc as well. But it's sometimes a LONG wait. Not like a 3-month theatrical release window, but like a 6 or 9 months or a year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2021, 09:58:16 AM »

I'm sure the HD will be a welcome upgrade, but otherwise the trend for these recent documentaries has invariably been: more superficial, more contemporary talking heads, more of an EPK for the band than a die hard deep dive. I'd love to be wrong, though, of course...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:59:38 AM by Mr. Tiger » Logged
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2021, 09:39:44 PM »

I would guess that if a streaming service picks up a multi-part BB documentary, it will *eventually* be released on disc as well. But it's sometimes a LONG wait. Not like a 3-month theatrical release window, but like a 6 or 9 months or a year.
Case in point: the recent pseudo-documentary 'Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story By Martin Scorsese' was a released as a Netflix exclusive (06/07/2019), only available to view through streaming until a full year and a half after its initial release when it was finally issued on DVD and Blu-Ray as part of the Criterion Collection (01/19/2021).
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx