gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:25:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All I Wanna do - Lead vocals: Love with Johnston?  (Read 2796 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2021, 12:58:34 PM »

I was looking up Sunflower on Wikipedia... I'm hype for the box set, leave me alone! And I saw that All I Wanna Do lead vocals are credited to 'Love with Johnston'. Yes I know it's Wikipedia and my neighbors dog can edit it, but is this taken from anything... 'official'? I can hear almost everyone singing on the track (except Dennis, is he on it?) but I don't specifically hear Bruce.

Am I missing something? Is this an 'official' credit from somewhere? I hear clear Mike lead with some delay on his voice, and definitely Carl and Brian. I'm sure Al is there but this period is harder to distinguish Al and Brian. I don't specifically hear Bruce.

Historians?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 01:02:57 PM »

Bruce is doing the high part. "in my mi-i-i-ind" (1:14 mins.) and the multiple "All I wanna do" (starting around 1:26 mins. and 2:04)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVis0FbvJsU
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 01:05:43 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »

"A gentle thought comes in my mind" is all Mike. Not a Mike you usually hear, but it's Mike.

Bruce's "all I wanna do" refrain could be construed as a co-lead vocal in a way, but it is just one component of the backing vocal round. Brian and Mike sing the chorus lead in harmony. Everyone but Dennis is on it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 02:39:47 PM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 06:46:14 PM »

Bruce is doing the high part. "in my mi-i-i-ind" (1:14 mins.) and the multiple "All I wanna do" (starting around 1:26 mins. and 2:04)

Yeah, one of very very few Mike falsetto performances.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 06:51:41 PM »

"A gentle thought comes in my mind" is all Mike. Not a Mike you usually hear, but it's Mike.

Bruce's "all I wanna do" refrain could be construed as a co-lead vocal in a way, but it is just one component of the backing vocal round. Brian and Mike sing the chorus lead in harmony. Everyone but Dennis is on it.

WHOA. I had no idea that part was Mike. The only other falsetto of his I can think of is his parody of Brian on "Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson."
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 07:01:20 PM »

WHOA. I had no idea that part was Mike. The only other falsetto of his I can think of is his parody of Brian on "Cassius Love vs. Sonny Wilson."

He sings pretty high in the chorus of "Please Let Me Wonder". Not falsetto, but likely the highest he ever sang outside of the two above.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 11:34:09 PM »

Please Let Me Wonder isn't particularly high at all, just light. He's only singing up to an Eb and D. It's right in the middle of his usual range.

Another example of a Mike upper register moment would be "upside your head" in She's Goin' Bald (where Brian helps him out). He frequently reaches the same high A with the full-voiced yelling in All I Want to Do.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 11:38:45 PM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 01:32:38 AM »

Yeah, one of very very few Mike falsetto performances.

Really? Awesome! I didn't know that. I always thought Bruce came in here to help him.
Mike was/is such a great singer with a distinctive voice and I love to learn new things about his singing. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:32:51 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jparis51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 06:54:46 AM »

There is his plaintive leap into falsetto on the latter half of the word "time" at 3:01 in Student Demonstration Time.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 04:24:17 PM »

Yeah, it's referring to the 'all I wanna do' in the refrain. I think it's reasonable to call that the main hook for that section.

I don't entirely buy that the falsetto on 'my mi-ind' is Mike as opposed to a stealthy Bruce punch-in. Maybe it'll be clearer when the acapella comes out in July.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 04:49:31 PM »

I don't entirely buy that the falsetto on 'my mi-ind' is Mike as opposed to a stealthy Bruce punch-in. Maybe it'll be clearer when the acapella comes out in July.

It will, because it is. Beyond a shadow of a doubt in this case. You'll have to suspend some disbelief and trust until then.
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 06:16:34 PM »

I'm happy to be wrong - is there evidence I'm not aware of? Seems like everyone's pretty certain that it's Mike the whole way. I only maintain scrutiny because working in audio I know how easy it is to mask cuts when there's that much delay and filtering on a vocal track.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 09:36:12 PM »

I'm happy to be wrong - is there evidence I'm not aware of? Seems like everyone's pretty certain that it's Mike the whole way. I only maintain scrutiny because working in audio I know how easy it is to mask cuts when there's that much delay and filtering on a vocal track.

The evidence is that it's Mike's voice and not Bruce's? 
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 10:12:35 PM »

To be clear I just meant I was open to the possibility that another member 'punched in' or joined in faint unison just for that head voice bit. Definitely not outside the realm of possibility considering they had done it before (Brian embellishing Carl's head voice notes on Good Vibes verses).

But I'll concede that on repeat listen it does seem to be entirely Mike without any help on that section. The head voice there is very pinched and there's no sustain to it - if it was Bruce it'd probably be more legato.

I do hear a faint chorus effect on the lead from 'a gentle thought...' until the end of that line - based on cursory listens I thought that could've been someone faintly doubling Mike, but more likely it's a faint double tracking by Mike or artificial double tracking via tape speed manipulation.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 02:10:14 AM »

There is his plaintive leap into falsetto on the latter half of the word "time" at 3:01 in Student Demonstration Time.

Yeah, that's a typical blues-phrasing. Good point.

I'm in the minority of people of really, really like SDT. Such a rocking version, great production! And Mike's singign on this one is so good! Just one of those things that I don't think any of the other Boys could've sung and come across as authentic.

- Jack Rieley
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 05:48:55 AM »

To be clear I just meant I was open to the possibility that another member 'punched in' or joined in faint unison just for that head voice bit. Definitely not outside the realm of possibility considering they had done it before (Brian embellishing Carl's head voice notes on Good Vibes verses).

But I'll concede that on repeat listen it does seem to be entirely Mike without any help on that section. The head voice there is very pinched and there's no sustain to it - if it was Bruce it'd probably be more legato.

I do hear a faint chorus effect on the lead from 'a gentle thought...' until the end of that line - based on cursory listens I thought that could've been someone faintly doubling Mike, but more likely it's a faint double tracking by Mike or artificial double tracking via tape speed manipulation.

It's only single-tracked, and very evident that it's Mike unassisted when the delay effects are taken away. July, I promise.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:49:28 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 07:13:49 AM »

Oh, good catch! Didn't think of that one. A little wobbly, but he hits it.

These examples make me think he could get up there but didn't have much control in that register.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx