gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:50:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ALL SUMMER LONG - Bad Mono Master?  (Read 833 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2021, 02:45:57 AM »

Was reading an old post on Steve Hoffman's site that linked to a 20 year old post about the song All Summer Long and it's appearance on the DCC version of Endless Summer. Here is the back and forth.

Steve, I have a question for you regarding the song "All Summer Long" by The Beach Boys. Your great sounding version on the DCC "Endless Summer" (and the Razor & Tie Beach Boys 2 CD set) sounds slightly different and much better than any other version I've ever heard. It also fades out a bit later too.

Did you do a mono remix of this song for the DCC Gold CD?

Steve: Yep.

Why?

Steve: Well, not for kicks. Give me some credit!

The stereo master is fake duophonic, the mono master had a big flaw in it, and the safety sounded terrible.

I duplicated the "sound" of the original version, even down to the Universal Audio EQ (1k) that Chuck Britz added to the mix. I didn't have the heart to use quite as much compression as he did though, so it's only 1/2 as squashed as the original.

So what do we know about this? SH said that the ASL safety sounded bad so it could not be used. But, there are releases done before the early 1990s remasters where Mark started track restorations (thank you Mark!) when tracks were just released as is, like DO YOU WANNA DANCE on SPIRIT OF AMERICA with the BAD drop out at 1:30. ALS sounds fine on those releases. Not on the ENDLESS SUMMER CD with the duophonic mix that was used, but on the CEMA release of ALL SUMMER LONG on CD in Canada. That CD has great sound and ALS sounds good. I GET AROUND AND ALL SUMMER LONG were mono on that release, unlike the PAST MASTERS release done at the same time. I don't think any futzing went on.

So can Alan or Mark (or any one) shine some light on this? Is the original mono master of ALL SUMMER LONG gone bye bye?
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 02:50:18 AM »

Ok, this topic posted three times. Can the mod remove two of them? I will say that when I hit post, it took about 2 minutes to return and then there it was three times. SQL errors seem to be the issue as when the forum page refreshed, there were SQL errors across the top of the page.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 07:11:58 AM »

ASL

ALS is something completely different
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 07:12:33 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx