gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:09:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: With Me Tonight cover!  (Read 1669 times)
KaylaWilliamsMusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2021, 09:48:04 AM »

Hey Smiley Smilers  Cheesy

I have a tier on Patreon for Beach Boys requests and the lovely Alex S. subscribed and requested this tune! Hope you enjoy my version:

https://youtu.be/MmvucI25L1w

Much love!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 02:11:46 PM »

Absolutely fantastic! One of the most relaxing songs on the Smiley album and one of my favorites. You again managed to capture the vibe and the texture of the original Smiley version, which is very impressive and not easy to do. You also got the vocal timbres of the band very accurate, especially with the inflections in the lead vocal - again not an easy feat. It sounds like a manually double-tracked lead, and if so, that really helped nail the vibe and overall sound. Great work as usual!

That song is a memory trigger for me too. Flashback to 1995 or so, and I was still obsessed with the Smiley/Wild Honey 2-fer while in my last semesters at college. I introduced a friend who later became a bandmate to the Smiley album, but unfortunately by then it was only a single disc reissue and the 2-fers were unavailable for the most part. So it was "With Me Tonight" and "Little Pad", those amazing melodies existing in those rather basic or even truly bizarre song forms (where's the chorus on either? lol), that caught his ear too, and I remember hearing him singing "With Me Tonight" and the "dit di-doo" wordless melody of Little Pad all the time. Great memories of great songs.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KaylaWilliamsMusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:56:46 AM »

Absolutely fantastic! One of the most relaxing songs on the Smiley album and one of my favorites. You again managed to capture the vibe and the texture of the original Smiley version, which is very impressive and not easy to do. You also got the vocal timbres of the band very accurate, especially with the inflections in the lead vocal - again not an easy feat. It sounds like a manually double-tracked lead, and if so, that really helped nail the vibe and overall sound. Great work as usual!

That song is a memory trigger for me too. Flashback to 1995 or so, and I was still obsessed with the Smiley/Wild Honey 2-fer while in my last semesters at college. I introduced a friend who later became a bandmate to the Smiley album, but unfortunately by then it was only a single disc reissue and the 2-fers were unavailable for the most part. So it was "With Me Tonight" and "Little Pad", those amazing melodies existing in those rather basic or even truly bizarre song forms (where's the chorus on either? lol), that caught his ear too, and I remember hearing him singing "With Me Tonight" and the "dit di-doo" wordless melody of Little Pad all the time. Great memories of great songs.

Thanks so much! Yes I do tend to double the vocals Smiley

I love that, I think Little Pad is also a priceless tune, so happy other people 'get it' and we can all relish in this beautiful work together! So many friends of mine I just wouldn't understand my love of these rare gems. Thanks for sharing your memories!  Cheesy
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx