gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:57:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1991 Brian Interview  (Read 2468 times)
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2021, 05:29:46 PM »

This was a new one to me. Not a good time for Brian, his family, and the other Beach Boys. https://youtu.be/QEVl-UrsqO0
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 05:38:58 PM »

This was a new one to me. Not a good time for Brian, his family, and the other Beach Boys. https://youtu.be/QEVl-UrsqO0

That was a depressing watch.  Embarrassed
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 05:39:10 PM »

But he looks great there!  I never looked that great on my best day!
I will never understand why Sire didn't put out Sweet Insanity. They didn't have to love it; just put it out there, and let the fans make up their own minds.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 12:14:33 AM »

Sweet Insanity is not as strong as BW88 but I do think it has some outstanding moments on it. With songs like Smart Girls and Brian/Thank You on it it's really no wonder they didn't release it though. Too bad, as the 2004 remakes of some of the better songs for Gettin' in Over My Head aren't very convincing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 03:54:22 AM »

I believe this interview was later taken on by SNL.

EDIT:

Well, I'm not sure if this really was the direct inspiration for the SNL bit, decide for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YssdWVBPrXA
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 10:28:55 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 10:56:50 AM »

I believe this interview was later taken on by SNL.

EDIT:

Well, I'm not sure if this really was the direct inspiration for the SNL bit, decide for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YssdWVBPrXA

Not available to watch in the US.  I found links at nbc, but when you click play it says it is not available.  I do remember this sketch from when I was a kid.  If I remember right, Tim Robbins is Brian Wilson, and Ross Perot keeps interrupting the interview dropping in and out of the Presidential race.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 02:30:44 PM »

But he looks great there!  I never looked that great on my best day!
I will never understand why Sire didn't put out Sweet Insanity. They didn't have to love it; just put it out there, and let the fans make up their own minds.

I feel this way about a lot of his music. There are some demos which I really think the fans would go crazy over (and pay good money for), but they aren't available in any official capacity, or even private capacity really. I know there are reasons that certain things don't see the light of day, but the way I see it: Most of this stuff is free money for the record companies and BriMel - especially in the digital era. So, as you say Lonely Summer, why not just put it out there and let the fans make up their own minds?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 02:57:43 PM »

Sweet Insanity is not as strong as BW88 but I do think it has some outstanding moments on it. With songs like Smart Girls and Brian/Thank You on it it's really no wonder they didn't release it though. Too bad, as the 2004 remakes of some of the better songs for Gettin' in Over My Head aren't very convincing.

I'll be one of the few defenders of Brian/Thank You. Yes the lyrics were controversial and perhaps come across as psychobabble. It does feel like a therapy session and of course the fact that he's putting down members of his band/family is going to make it excruciatingly awkward to release it ever. And yes unfortunately this song does come across as a direct PR attempt to rehabilitate Landy's reputation.

That said,the actual music on that song is really quite interesting and rad IMO. Some cool chord changes and I happen to love the musical vibe of the song.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 07:02:09 PM »

I'll be one of the few defenders of Brian/Thank You. Yes the lyrics were controversial and perhaps come across as psychobabble. It does feel like a therapy session and of course the fact that he's putting down members of his band/family is going to make it excruciatingly awkward to release it ever. And yes unfortunately this song does come across as a direct PR attempt to rehabilitate Landy's reputation.

That said,the actual music on that song is really quite interesting and rad IMO. Some cool chord changes and I happen to love the musical vibe of the song.
It's one of the best songs on the album.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 10:52:33 PM »

It's one of the best songs on the album.

Agreed. And I wouldn't necessarily say the lyrics are outright "bad", just that they are awkward and politically ugly. It's too bad the song has remained unreleased and likely will always be that way, barring some unforeseen change in release strategy, due to the lyrics' controversial nature.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2021, 03:23:45 AM »

I like "Thank you" as well. Very nice melody. Yes, the lyrics are a bit over-the-top but musically it's nice.
It's strange anyway that an album by someone who had among others the following songs in his pocket would not get released: Don't let her know she's an Angel, Rainbow Eyes, Do you have any Regrets?, Save the Day (Fairytale), I sleep alone (supposed to be recorded by Gloria Estefan but certainly easy to be changed to male-perspective), Make a Wish and others. I mean the man had (probably still has) so many fantastic songs that you would expect a pop megaseller.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:42:37 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx