gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:49:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R. I. P. Lloyd Price  (Read 1774 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2021, 09:48:58 AM »

Just saw this in another forum:

Lloyd Price, R&B Pioneer Known as ‘Mr. Personality,’ Dies at 88

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/lloyd-price-r-b-pioneer-003818332.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAH6Pg7fUJKDfue8EKAzaLooFsA6JXFhKFX5t00jDfwXHteibQdTAsVyb8wDi94VX_SW3EdU3eVu2K-TVp4UrGymraoPOkoes1tUVr9c-GHrdr1PowUSJPz8JLbeyVFXu_RfXfxr7nfOXT25JydS4kndkqTP0qjdc5tnArbbWy3c6&guccounter=2

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 12:47:36 AM »

No replies yet? Sheesh. Shocked

"Lawdy Miss Clawdy" in either version is a gas. So is "Stagger Lee":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4H-rg1k4sw

Rest in peace, Mr Price. Thank you for some great music.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 05:22:30 AM »

Little Richard & Lloyd Price - Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Live 1994)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esbL7CjTavo

You could get jealous if this is what they are playing in heaven now...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 05:23:14 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 02:32:18 PM »

No replies yet? Sheesh. Shocked

"Lawdy Miss Clawdy" in either version is a gas. So is "Stagger Lee":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4H-rg1k4sw

Rest in peace, Mr Price. Thank you for some great music.
Well, to be fair, he's been off the radar for many decades now. Used to hear his songs on the oldies stations quite a lot, but if I hear ANY 50's stuff on the radio now, it doesn't go much past Elvis, Chuck, Buddy, Richard, Ricky, Fats, and the Everlys.

The one time I saw him in later years was on a Huey Lewis and the News concert, and he looked decades younger than he was at the time - 1994 - had a smile bigger than the sun, and sounded great.
My favorite local band, Jr. Cadillac, sometimes performs "Have You Ever Had the Blues" - b-side of "Personality". I'm sure they'll be playing it this summer - if live music can come back.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 12:48:23 AM »

I have been thinking - who is left of the first wave of great New Orleans r&b?
The only one I can think of who is still with us as of this writing is Clarence "Frogman" Henry. Just listened to his wonderful "But I Do."
Precious few left of the second wave - Irma Thomas and Aaron Neville. Neville announced his retirement from performing except an occasional special event.

All those wonderful singers gone. But will continue to love and listen to their joyous music.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 01:55:32 AM »

I have been thinking - who is left of the first wave of great New Orleans r&b?
The only one I can think of who is still with us as of this writing is Clarence "Frogman" Henry. Just listened to his wonderful "But I Do."
Precious few left of the second wave - Irma Thomas and Aaron Neville. Neville announced his retirement from performing except an occasional special event.

All those wonderful singers gone. But will continue to love and listen to their joyous music.

Hello, Lizzie. Yes indeed, it's getting dramatic. Gotta love the Frogman.

As for Aaron Neville, I remember this beauty from way back. "Tell It Like It Is" was a US #2 for him in 1966. What a voice! Roll Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxROmtyrCxg

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »

Those are some classic records. Tell it Like it is....first heard it as a remake by the band Heart. Not a bad version, but nobody remembers it today. How can you top Aaron Neville?
I was trying to find some albums by the Frogman last summer, no luck. I only have the singles - I Don't Know Why I Love You But I Do, Ain't Got No Home, You Always Hurt the One You Love....great stuff.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 02:08:10 AM »

Posted by WWOZ 90.7 FM New Orleans on facebook:

Tonight's edition of The '50s R&B Show will spotlight "Mr. Personality" -- Lloyd Price -- with classic tracks and rare recordings.  As a special treat, we will also hear portions of Lloyd's 2010 WWOZ interview with the great Billy Delle (courtesy of A.J. "Boudin Man" Rodrigue)!
It happens tonight at 7:00 central on WWOZ 90.7 FM and wwoz.org
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 02:08:54 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx