gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:10:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 245569 times)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 30, 2007, 01:10:54 PM »

Good point about the duet nature of this tune. Linett just sort of answered this question on the Little Surfer Girl thread.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:16:21 PM by grillo » Logged

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
MBE
« Reply #401 on: March 30, 2007, 09:14:49 PM »

The publisher for "Monster Mash" wanted a great deal of money for a sync license for the "Lost Concert" DVD, and since the publishing licenses all had a "favored nations" clause (meaning that none of the owners of songs in the show were willing to take any LESS money than any of the other publishers) the song had to be deleted from the DVD edition of the film.  Otherwise the licenses would have so prohibitively expensive that SabuCat wouldn't have been able to release the DVD at all.

There is talk about some sort of DVD that may come out in the wake of WARMTH OF THE SUN, but nothing definite has been worked out as of yet.  So far we've just had some coversations about possible content...

Alan

Thanks Alan, it's too bad when greed gets in the way of perserving history but at least we got the rest of the show.  Good luck on anything coming up.
Robbo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 14, 2007, 08:35:52 AM »

Hello Alan,

I was wondering if you could tell me what' tracks are on the Bob Norberg tape from 1963?
Thanks for your time, and keep up the good work.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 16, 2007, 06:00:25 AM »

Mr. Boyd

Sorry if this has already been covered but approximately how many concerts are in the archives? And from what sort of eras are most of these concerts from?
MBE
« Reply #404 on: April 16, 2007, 10:47:07 PM »

Alan speaking of the vaults what would most like to see release and what would you most desire to keep in the can.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 17, 2007, 06:40:59 AM »

Mr. Boyd

Sorry if this has already been covered but approximately how many concerts are in the archives? And from what sort of eras are most of these concerts from?

I'd love to know this too, how many preofessionially recorded multitracks they have. The Beach Boys would be a great band for a Dick's Picks style program like the Dead have - the changing line-ups, the eras...
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: May 06, 2007, 08:32:45 AM »

Hi Mr. Boyd, I wanted to know if you had more information than we do about this subject...

Do we know when Brian acquired the organ in 67?
Hi Mr. Desper, I hope you're doing well!

On this topic (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,3743.0.html) we're having a discussion about the Baldwin theater organ that Brian had in 1967...

Would you happen to know what model it was? I think it was either a HT2 or a HT2R, but I'm not sure. I would go for a HT2R since it looks like it and that it was introduced in '67...

Thanks a lot!  Smiley

COMMENT TO SLOOPJOHNB:  As far as I know his Baldwin arrived new. I think Brian found it in a store and had it delivered to the studio.  Since it was new, your best bet is by date.  The HT2 was introduced in 1964; the HT2R in 1967; and the HT2RM in 1969. All were Solid State Transistor Divider type sound generators. The HT2 series had the stop specification of a theater organ, not a church organ.  It was available in Walnut or White with Gold Trim.  Brian liked the look as well as the sound of the instrument.

COMMENT TO SLOOPJOHNB:  I don't know if it has been sold or not.  Ask Alan Boyd as he is closer to the situation. It was Brian's favorite, so he may have it somewhere in storage or in use. ~swd

Would you happen to know if Brian still has his white Baldwin organ somewhere? Thanks a lot!  Smiley

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: May 13, 2007, 02:50:37 AM »

Hey Alan,
this question was on my mind for a long time:
Is there any more interview-footage of Willie Nelson talking about the Beach Boys and the "Warmth of the sun"-collaboration than what is released on "Nashville sounds" ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: May 13, 2007, 09:35:28 AM »

Hi, Alan.

Do you think that sometime soon, a boxset dedicated to all the 45's and E.P's ('A's & 'B's) that the 'boys put out in their career could be made available for retail or download?

I know a 6 disc ( .. or was it 5?) fanmade set made the rounds a few years ago, but I'd kill for an official box collection of all those lovely 45's.

All the best,
Yer 'umble servant,

Ken.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 13, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »

Alan,
Since you have gone through all the tapes, is there documentation about exactly what concerts and dates the material on the 73 concert album derive from? I know that alot of outtake material on Endless Harmony came from the 72 Carnegie Hall show-were many of the album tracks from that same show?
Ian
MBE
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2007, 09:24:58 PM »

I think Boyd has left this board for good. He got mad about a bootleg comment said he was out of here and hasn't posted since.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: May 18, 2007, 12:36:31 AM »

I've seen him online recently but he didn't post anything since that bootleg comment...

(EDIT: hell no, I've just checked and he hasn't been active since April 16th!  Tongue)

If he left for good, it's quite sad. I, for one, will certainly miss his insight...  Undecided
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 01:52:53 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
XY
« Reply #412 on: May 18, 2007, 01:08:03 AM »

Oh yes, my idiotic bootleg comment... Cry
I wrote Mr. Boyd an email after that to excuse myself for this post.
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2007, 01:32:42 PM »

Oh yes, my idiotic bootleg comment... Cry
I wrote Mr. Boyd an email after that to excuse myself for this post.

Did you get a reply back, Jasper?

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
MBE
« Reply #414 on: May 19, 2007, 02:50:23 AM »

I will say this and hope it won't be seen like I am knocking him but... if we went back some twenty years he most assuredly was thanking bootleggers himself.  I think by being so close to the vaults and personally trying  to make sense of them, he forgot what's it like to be an everyday collector. Now maybe the "real heroes" comment isn't tactful to say in front of him but he didn't have to take it so to heart. Again I am only saying how I feel and it does not take away from how much I admire his part in perserving the Beach Boys legacy

I will share a story with you where I could have gotten mad at him about something similar and didn't. One time many years ago he had asked if I knew how to how to contact Byron Priess. Well I looked for three days and got the contact info.  When we spoke next he nonchalantly said Brian Chidester got him the info. While I was a little perturbed that he completely overlooked the effort I had made, I went on to have a pleasant conversation with him. Everybody likes to get credit for the work they do, but I took the high road and realized that with his busy schedule it was an innocent oversight. I only share this story as I  think he should find it in his heart to forgive Jasper by placing himself in his shoes.
XY
« Reply #415 on: May 20, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »

Did you get a reply back, Jasper?

Yes. He answered that it wasn't just that comment that made him leave for awhile - enormous
amount of pressure lately - and that they tried hard to find ways to release some of this cool unreleased stuff in the past. He also mentioned that he has never quite gotten over the fact that a guest stole a comp tape at an open house.
MBE
« Reply #416 on: May 20, 2007, 08:47:59 PM »

I am glad you heard back from him. Getting stuff stolen isn't cool at all.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: May 21, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »

Sadly nothing new - in the UK Kingsley Abbott used to host an open house between Stomp conventions in the 80s (which is where I first met Alan, coincidentally), but stopped after someone stole some stuff. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2007, 03:28:59 AM »

Kingsley did some good books of newspaper articles. He helped me find some rare records in the pre internet age.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: May 21, 2007, 04:36:08 AM »

Kingsley did some good books of newspaper articles. He helped me find some rare records in the pre internet age.

Yes...I found "The Middle Years", in particular, most enjoyable & enlightening.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 21, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »

Well I would hope Alan would come back to this board to announce any new releases or website BB projects with downloads, as this board still has the most BB fanatics anywhere who of course will buy the new releases (just like they buy or trade the bootlegs).

You have to realize that in Alan's position now, where he works to get unreleased stuff released, whether in new CD projects or online, he can't be too sympathetic to bottleggers releasing perhaps the very stuff he's been pushing to get out there.  Undermines his own efforts.  I'm sure that's a change from when he was just a fan/collector like the rest of us, and understandably so.
MBE
« Reply #421 on: May 21, 2007, 01:15:10 PM »

I do think it's wrong when tapes are stolen etc. However I can't see how bootlegs hurt sales of something like Hawthrone Ca. Counterfits of the actual release I think would hurt Capitol or Alan bad, but real boots no. Anyone who buys boots is gonna buy the whole catalog anyhow. Just my 2 cents though again I stress that swiping a tape from someones possesion is plain wrong.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 21, 2007, 01:33:40 PM »

I do think it's wrong when tapes are stolen etc.

That accounts for pretty much every studio boot ever, although I guess people argue some weren't so much stolen as "leaked." But I can completely understand any musician's frustration at having work they obviously don't consider representative being circulated, be it a financial problem for them or not. (And on the other hand, I am a hypocrite on this issue.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 21, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »

And yet, knowing how Alan feels, and even agreeing, at least to a degree, you all still participate avidly in threads on this board and others that openly discuss bootlegs.  And you wonder why he doesn't want to participate anymore...?

The way i understand it, the open circulation and discussion of boots hurts a potential official release like this: The record company figures you've already got it, so why should they bother.  Period.  Doesn't make sense to us, but it makes all the cents in the world to them.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 21, 2007, 08:03:05 PM »

Discussing bootlegs in a Beach Boys music forum is inevitable.  Glorifying and praising the bootleggers is what ticked Alan off.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx