gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:17:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 247679 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2006, 06:05:24 PM »

Thanks Alan.

Still a great bio! I don't give a crap what Domenic Priore thinks! The guy lives with his head up his ass most of time, anyway!

Bob F.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2006, 05:46:37 AM »

Hey Alan,
there's a clip in EH where carl sings his part of "surfer girl" alone. It sounds very beautiful. From when is this and was this a proffesional film or kinda homevideo?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »

I took that shot of Carl singing "Surfer Girl" with an 8mm home video camera during the rehearsals for the Nashville Fan Fair concert in 1996.

Alan
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2006, 03:36:08 PM »

Thanks for the answer (and thanks for recording that ). I hope it will be available on the new site, if it exists in complete form. It sounds so beautiful that I could cry every time I hear it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2006, 09:19:18 PM »

Alan, we are discussing the track "Sunshine" from KTSA with Peter Carlin in his thread, tyring to figure when "Little Girl was recorded. A version of Little Girl was recorded at Mike's in the spring of '79 at the session for "Skatetown USA". Jeff Peters engineered both (Carl is heard talking to him). Was there another version cut at Western in July?

Also, did the guys cut a version of the old Corsair's doo wop hit "Smokey Places" for KTSA? I know they lifted the opening harmony block for use in "Sunshine".

Thanks,
Bob Flory
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2006, 04:26:47 AM »

"Little Girl" was one of the four tracks laid down during the initial KTSA sessions at Western, July 24-29 1979. The other three were "School Day", "Jamaica Farewell" & "Stranded In The Jungle".

Other tracks recorded for the album but either not used or incoporated into others are:

Surfer Suzie (comp. Carter)
Goin' To The Beach
Boys & Girls
Starbaby
How's About A Little Bit (Of Your Sweet Lovin') ?
I'll Always Love You (Barry Mann)
Johnny B. Goode (Dennis on drums)
Da Doo Ron Ron (Carl lead vocal)
Smokey Places

Other archive tracks in the mix:

Loop De Loop
Been Way Too Long (some recording was done on this !)
San Miguel
The Lord's Prayer
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 04:30:17 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2006, 08:32:19 AM »

Thanks, Mr. Doe! I guess that they did record 2 versions of the track.

Also,you listed the following as KTSA songs for possible inclusions:

Starbaby
How's About A Little Bit (Of Your Sweet Lovin')

Even after Celebration had released them the year before? Man, these guys were really scraping. Sounds like a Mike thing. I have always heard that Surfer Suzi was great and the reason it wasn't used was because a "group" member didn't write it.

As we say on this side of the pond.............IT'S ALWAYS SOMETHING!

Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 11, 2006, 12:43:27 PM »

Actually, "Smokey Places" sounds sort of like the foundation for "Sunshine."  It has a piece of thet "Dum dum, dumbee dum be doo..." section sung by Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: August 11, 2006, 02:57:03 PM »

Starbaby

Even after Celebration had released them the year before? Man, these guys were really scraping. Sounds like a Mike thing. I have always heard that Surfer Suzi was great and the reason it wasn't used was because a "group" member didn't write it.

"Surfer Suzie" is pretty good. I'm told it wasn't included because Eddie wouldn't give up the credit.

Re: "Sunshine/Little Girl/Smokey Places", Bruce has something to say about it all in the liners to the KTSA/BB85 2fer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 02:59:20 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: August 11, 2006, 05:41:21 PM »

Starbaby

"Surfer Suzie" is pretty good. I'm told it wasn't included because Eddie wouldn't give up the credit.

Re: "Sunshine/Little Girl/Smokey Places", Bruce has something to say about it all in the liners to the KTSA/BB85 2fer.

The reasoning for not using "Surfer Suzie" is especially odd considering as recently as the "MIU Album", they had recorded a non-oldie, a presumably new composition, by people outside of the band (namely "Winds of Change"). More puzzling is the decision making that led them to choose "When Girls Get Together" over "Can't Wait Too Long."

Regarding recording "How's About..." after it was released by Celebration, that doesn't surprise me. Brian, supposedly during more or less "solo" sessions in 1980, cut another backing track for "Shortenin' Bread" despite the numerous previous recordings and release the year before on "LA (Light Album)." (I believe he also cut a backing track for "My Solution" during this time as well).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #335 on: August 11, 2006, 09:54:58 PM »

I remember reading a Nick Kent article where Brian gets mad when he mentiones on of the KTSA songs yelling that he hates it. Any ideas on what that might be.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: August 12, 2006, 04:24:17 AM »

I remember reading a Nick Kent article where Brian gets mad when he mentiones on of the KTSA songs yelling that he hates it. Any ideas on what that might be.

I would like to know that too. I believe Brian said Bruce put it on the album.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #337 on: August 12, 2006, 04:35:38 AM »

Um. I'm thinking either "Endless Harmony" or "When Girls Get Together". Problem is, I can't see Nick Kent liking either of those two.

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 12, 2006, 01:54:38 PM »

Watching the Going Platinum special about the making of KTSA, Brian seems to be just putting in his time, regardless of Ben  Fong Torres narative that Brian was really enjoying himself. "Going To The Beach" is killer in the version played in the special. It blows me away that it wasn't used for the LP.

Also, can anyone freaking understand how you could not release KTSA as a single (even if you had to remix it and puch it up). It was a natural. But, then again the group always seems to throw songs away that could be hits. Go Figure.

Bob Flory
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2006, 02:02:34 PM »

Also, can anyone freaking understand how you could not release KTSA as a single (even if you had to remix it and puch it up). It was a natural. But, then again the group always seems to throw songs away that could be hits. Go Figure.

Bob Flory

Same with "California calling", which might have one of the worst lyrics in a BB-song, but it would have made a sure hit, too.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #340 on: August 13, 2006, 04:16:23 PM »

Um. I'm thinking either "Endless Harmony" or "When Girls Get Together". Problem is, I can't see Nick Kent liking either of those two.

Those were my top two guesses. Perhaps it was one Livin With A Heartache?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: August 13, 2006, 05:33:52 PM »

Those were my top two guesses. Perhaps it was one Livin With A Heartache?

I would think it was "When Girls Get Together", because Nick Kent asked Brian why he put it on the album..since Kent knew Bruce was the producer, I doubt he would've asked Brian why HE (Brian) put a song on the album unless it was one that he (Brian) wrote.  It also makes sense that among the Brian-written songs, that would be the one Brian least liked at that time, because it was the oldest. 
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: August 13, 2006, 05:47:33 PM »

I remember that interview (I'm sure I still have it somewhere) - it was 'When GIrls Get Together' that was mentioned.
MBE
« Reply #343 on: August 13, 2006, 05:49:43 PM »

Actually I have two versions of the interview and it isn't mentioned but I think WGGT is the best guess. I am not a fan of it either.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: August 14, 2006, 01:01:32 AM »

I remember that interview (I'm sure I still have it somewhere) - it was 'When GIrls Get Together' that was mentioned.
The original interview was in NME, 1980, and no title was mentioned, just Nick saying he asked Brian about a song he particularly liked on the album and Brian , er, responded somewhat forcefully.

memoryman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2006, 05:31:27 AM »

i have a question for alan. as i understand it, an 8 track comp tape from december '66 was discovered during the "hawthorne" vault search which contains the verse vocals for heroes and villains that appear on smiley smile. i noticed that the organ overdub for this section turns up only on the 5th vocal overdub on sot 17. does this organ part (the short fanfare that accompanies the trombone flutter) appear on the unlabelled comp tape? if not, are there only 4 vocal overdubs on the tape?
memoryman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2006, 09:51:20 PM »

Also, is there any evidence that the master take of the "eggs and grits" section has been snipped off (a la Old Master Painter) for a comp tape?
MBE
« Reply #347 on: August 23, 2006, 09:14:53 PM »

Hey Alan, when we talked a few years agp we discussed the 1-77 concerts that were video taped. I forgot to ask but do you have a theory as to why Brian and Mike yelled at each other before "Back Home"?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 24, 2006, 04:01:53 AM »

I'm not Alan, but I'll add my two cents... It looked to me like Mike was doing a pantomime.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 27, 2006, 08:28:04 PM »

The original interview was in NME, 1980, and no title was mentioned, just Nick saying he asked Brian about a song he particularly liked on the album and Brian , er, responded somewhat forcefully.

Andrew, wasn't there a picture in that article of Brian and Debbie Keil? If you have the article and scan that pic for posting, I'd really be thankful.

Bob F.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx