gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:20:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Alan Boyd Thread  (Read 245500 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: January 29, 2009, 08:01:31 AM »

Heh heh...what part of "6 seconds into the song" am I not being clear about, C-Man? Grin  Just joking around...

I think it was a tape bounce/transfer issue because the vocals don't seem to phase out while the organ in particular phases terribly, but why was this allowed to stand uncorrected since it is so obvious to us?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 30, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »

Don't forget, this song was mixed to be heard on crappy hi-fis and single speaker car radios, so weird phasing or eq mistakes would like go under the radar of the average guy, ie almost everyone but us. Personally I always thought a stop was pulled on the organ or Brian lowered its volume during the bounce down mix, and the rest of the mix worked so well he chose not to f%@k with trying to get that one part perfect.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: January 30, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »

I just listened to the BBC Radio show "The Record Producers" (Brian Wilson episode) from last summer for the first time.  In it, Steve Levine mentions that Carl told him an interesting story regarding some damage to the first few seconds of the "Good Vibrations" master.  Although from his description, I would doubt this had anything to do with the level drop described in this thread, but ya never know...

The morning of the "Good Vibes" final mix (apparently EARLY morning, like 1:00 or 2:00 am), the "hub reel" containing the mono mixdown was accidentally rewound...the one thing you never, ever want to do to a "hub reel", as it contains no leader and nothing to stop the tape from spilling out onto the floor, which of course it did, crinkiling the first few seconds worth of tape in the process.  Brian and Carl frantically pressed the tape with their fingers & thumbs, trying to repair the little "crinkles".  Levine implied that Carl's opening "I" was damaged (he imitated a flanging sound), but I don't really hear it.  But I DID hear the level drop, starting with the words "clothes she wears". 

Weird story, huh?
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: April 15, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »

I just listened to the BBC Radio show "The Record Producers" (Brian Wilson episode) from last summer for the first time.  In it, Steve Levine mentions that Carl told him an interesting story regarding some damage to the first few seconds of the "Good Vibrations" master.  Although from his description, I would doubt this had anything to do with the level drop described in this thread, but ya never know...

The morning of the "Good Vibes" final mix (apparently EARLY morning, like 1:00 or 2:00 am), the "hub reel" containing the mono mixdown was accidentally rewound...the one thing you never, ever want to do to a "hub reel", as it contains no leader and nothing to stop the tape from spilling out onto the floor, which of course it did, crinkling the first few seconds worth of tape in the process.  Brian and Carl frantically pressed the tape with their fingers & thumbs, trying to repair the little "crinkles".  Levine implied that Carl's opening "I" was damaged (he imitated a flanging sound), but I don't really hear it.  But I DID hear the level drop, starting with the words "clothes she wears". 

Weird story, huh?

COMMENT TO C-MAN:

Actually the hub reel is the tape wound onto the hub, ONLY no reel. It can, and usually does contain leader tape. If rewound, the  reel contains ONLY the tape. It is easy for it to spill out onto the floor, which is what happened.  Thereafter, someone stepped on the tape and made folds on it so that when, in playback, it moved by the playback head and was lifted off of the head whenever the tape passed over the head.  If you listen over headphones you can really hear the crinkles pass over the head.

This is tape on a reel:

This is the same tape on a hub:

Both can be mounted onto a professional tape recorder and threaded through the mechanism.  It is common for leader tape to be included in the HUB wind.

Since there are no reel flanges to constrict the tape in REWIND, the hub is never rewound. It is only for storage after it has been stacked onto the hub in the PLAY mode, or motion.

Storage is common on the Hub only.  Why use a reel for longterm storage?  Reels are expensive.  So hub storage came about.  It is actually a throwback to motion picture practices of storing film on hubs.

Once the tape was creased, it was too late to correct.  As time went along, and many passes through the tape mechanism were done, the problem was less heard, but still there.

Just another episode in the continuing saga of Beach Boy sessions.  After all, if you are a recording artist for several decades, these stories will occur

Good Listening, ~Stephen W. Desper

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:34:36 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: May 28, 2009, 01:43:22 PM »

Hey Alan,

maybe you could shed some light on this:

Do you have the setlist for the '65 concert in Chicago? And will there be more songs released, maybe even the entire concert?

And are there any news about that concert in Paris in '69 that someone on the BW-messageboard came up with a few years ago?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: June 03, 2009, 12:00:30 PM »

That volume drop in "good vibrations" sounds like someone bumped a mic or something (or some kind of low frequency rumble) and a slow-reacting compressor dropped the volume of everything for just a split second.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: August 30, 2009, 08:42:23 AM »

Hi Mr Boyd,
as you make music yourself, I thought you might be interested about our SmileySmile-Members tribute to the Beach Boys, which should be finished around Halloween. It's in the "Smiley Smilers who make music"-section of this board under "SS.net tribute project"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: August 30, 2009, 09:13:32 AM »

That volume drop in "good vibrations" sounds like someone bumped a mic or something (or some kind of low frequency rumble) and a slow-reacting compressor dropped the volume of everything for just a split second.

Interestingly, I was chatting with Randall Kirsch backstage at a Beach Boys show this June, and he asked me if I had any idea what caused that apparently now infamous volume drop in "Good Vibes".  I resopnded with the various theories and Carl's story.  Mike Love was in the room, so Randall decided to ask him:  "Hey Mike!...".  Mike looked a little puzzled, but responded "That's the way Brian mixed it?" (his reply sounded more like a question, as if he was guessing but wasn't sure, which is why I added in the question mark).
bluerincon1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 04, 2009, 12:24:05 AM »

I am wondering, why did Capitol/EMI choose to release the Brother/Reprise 12-track edition on vinyl instead of it own original 13-track international version.  I know that since both the single mix of "Cottonfields" and "Sunflower" were both issued by EMI, so "Cottonfields" was placed on the international edition to boost sales.  I think with it's addition, it makes for a stronger album.  I believe it does fit on the album.  It was recorded during the "Sunflower" era in August of 1969 and was placed on the reel titled "Last Capitol Album" with other tracks that wound up on "Sunflower."  I know it may not be what the Beach Boys wanted, but Paul McCartney didn't place "Helen Wheels" on "Band On The Run."  That was a Capitol decision.  However, the 25th anniversary edition (released worldwide) does include "Helen Wheels" so I'm guessing he has accepted the extra track on the album.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: October 04, 2009, 02:07:01 AM »

I am wondering, why did Capitol/EMI choose to release the Brother/Reprise 12-track edition on vinyl instead of it own original 13-track international version.  I know that since both the single mix of "Cottonfields" and "Sunflower" were both issued by EMI, so "Cottonfields" was placed on the international edition to boost sales.  I think with it's addition, it makes for a stronger album.  I believe it does fit on the album.  It was recorded during the "Sunflower" era in August of 1969 and was placed on the reel titled "Last Capitol Album" with other tracks that wound up on "Sunflower." 

"Cotton Fields" single version was recorded August 8th & 15th 1969. The Add Some Music sessions proper commenced October 6th.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 09, 2009, 09:49:39 PM »

Aloha Alan -  Can you give us all an update on beachboyscentral.com?  It has become an ongoing joke.

If it's never going to happen, we'd all like to know and move on.....

Mahalo - G

ps - yes, we are all praying for a Smile box set and a Dennis/BB set.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:17:57 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 10, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »

Aloha Alan -  Can you give us all an update on beachboyscentral.com?  It has become an ongoing joke.

Mahalo - G

I'm just bumping this hoping for a response to the Beach Boys Central question...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 14, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »

Mahalo - G

I'm just bumping this hoping for a response to the Beach Boys Central question...

me too!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 05, 2010, 02:20:06 PM »

somebody is paying money to leave it on the WWW   Grin it is still there  Huh
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 11, 2011, 06:46:12 AM »

Hi Alan,

same question to you as I've just posted on Mark's thread...

Fancy throwing us a bone as to what's planned for any 50th anniversary releases?

We're hungry!

“We live in divisive times.”
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 13, 2011, 05:00:01 PM »

This is worth bumping...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
letsmakeit31
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 31, 2011, 02:55:17 AM »

Hi Alan,

same question to you as I've just posted on Mark's thread...

Fancy throwing us a bone as to what's planned for any 50th anniversary releases?

We're hungry!
Lets just hope that no news is good news shall we!!. I'm sure it all means that a new project is being worked on now which is why we haven't had any reply hopefully!!! Cheesy
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 12, 2011, 07:32:34 PM »

Mr. Alan Boyd...

I don't know much about anything, but what I do know is that I genuinely love the Beach Boys, specifically Brian's work, even more specifically- SMiLE. So I got the notion to send a SSMB "Thank You" your way, in advance, for contributing and helping to make this music see the light of day... Cheers!!

Pirate Rock! Head Spin w00t! Beer Listening
PhilCohen
« Reply #518 on: April 16, 2011, 06:00:16 PM »

Hello Alan,

While I'm not asking you to reveal anything specific about the "Smile" box, the question is why, at this point in time(as opposed to other years in the CD era) have yourself, Mark Linett & the surviving Beach Boys decided that 2011 is the right time for a "Smile" tapes project? Is it that you've left no stone unturned(no further studio or record company vaults to search), and you are now satisfied that nothing more will be found, or is it that there was there a discovery or aquisition of previously unavailable reels.....something that made The Beach Boys, Mark Linett or yourself realise, "Yes, this is the time for a Smile box set"
Jason
« Reply #519 on: April 17, 2011, 12:15:56 AM »

I'm not Alan but it should be noted that Alan isn't a member of BRI, who are the only people with the "authority" to authorize any kind of archival release.
PhilCohen
« Reply #520 on: April 17, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »

I'm not Alan but it should be noted that Alan isn't a member of BRI, who are the only people with the "authority" to authorize any kind of archival release.

But it is Alan & Mark's research discoveries that may have prompted BRI's decision , at this point in time(instead of at some previous time) to permit a "Smile" project.....or maybe, it's the realisation that the music industry(even as a purveyor of vintage outtakes) doesn't have many years left. Might as well make some money of those old tapes. The world might come to an end in 2012, ya' know.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 01, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »

I'm not sure you ever return to this thread Alan, but I have a question of a few songs. During your vault trawl, were "Where Is She?", "Burlesque", "Rooftop Harry", or the medley of "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" and "Gimme Some Lovin'" found? How far along were these songs? Did they have vocals? What about "Boys and Girls" with a lead vocal? Or any other versions of "California Feelin'" besides the 1974 Brian version of the 1978 group version? I'm hoping we get to hear some (or all!) of these tracks next year because of the 50th anniversary.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 03, 2011, 07:45:54 AM »

I'm not sure you ever return to this thread Alan, but I have a question of a few songs. During your vault trawl, were "Where Is She?", "Burlesque", "Rooftop Harry", or the medley of "Baby I Need Your Lovin'" and "Gimme Some Lovin'" found? How far along were these songs? Did they have vocals? What about "Boys and Girls" with a lead vocal? Or any other versions of "California Feelin'" besides the 1974 Brian version of the 1978 group version? I'm hoping we get to hear some (or all!) of these tracks next year because of the 50th anniversary.
is the 78 version of California Feelin' 's track performed by the band in 78 or by Brian and/or band in 74?
What about the version by American Spring? What info is found on that? besides Rocky P's shaky lead vocal

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 03, 2011, 12:28:27 PM »

is the 78 version of California Feelin' 's track performed by the band in 78 or by Brian and/or band in 74?
What about the version by American Spring? What info is found on that? besides Rocky P's shaky lead vocal

As far as I know, the '78 version for the Light Album was all recorded in '78, both track and vocals. Apparently the demo from '74 is just Brian and a piano. But i'm wondering if they possibly did a full band version in '74 or maybe a version for 15 Big Ones or M.I.U. (considering they were gonna name the album that).
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 28, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »

OK Alan,  on the heels of your visit with MR. Pong HIt and questions about what we would like released, one thing you gave him to hear piqued my interest.  Please release the backing vocals for the S&S sessions.  Your use of the boys' backing vocals from DWB to open the Nashville Sounds DVD was great.  Lets have more of them on a box set.  Thanks.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx