gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:18:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Music: Add Some Music  (Read 3183 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2021, 09:33:09 PM »

Album just dropped.

It's not good.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 09:35:44 PM »

David's guitar on Long Promised Road is really good and it's nice to hear Jeff again.

That's about it for me

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 10:20:47 PM »

Why is this album mastered so badly? Everything sounds distorted and fuzzy, it really distracts from actually listening to the thing...

Also it's fun to hear Ram Raj again, thanks Mike.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 12:51:51 AM »

Yikes the mastering is terrible. Unfortunately the record sounds quite sterile, much like most Beach Boys related releases since the 70s.
It's a mystery why all the songs are being performed by actual Beach Boys members rather than the fine talent I'm sure can be found withint the CM collective. Did I need to hear Al or Mike sing their old lines on this record? No.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:53:19 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 01:31:16 AM »

I’ve got it on Spotify.

Re the sound. Keep in mind in all likelihood this was all recorded on devices, cell phones etc and mixed in house...literally ‘in house’. I wonder if a studio was used at all?
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 10:18:43 PM »

I really enjoy Golden State.  Kinda has a 'long-lost 70's Brian song' vibe to it.
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 03:36:46 AM »

I’ve got it on Spotify.

Re the sound. Keep in mind in all likelihood this was all recorded on devices, cell phones etc and mixed in house...literally ‘in house’. I wonder if a studio was used at all?

A lot of this was recorded years ago. That version of She Believes in Love Again, for example, comes from around 2007 at least. Ram Raj sounds like a different mix of the version on Unleash the Love in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSxbOAwWqQ

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 01:55:20 PM »

I’ve got it on Spotify.

I think Rob Bonfliglio mixed at least the new version of Add Some Music To Your Day and, as reported in the last ESQ issue, the album was mastered by Mark Linett. 
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 06:49:31 AM »

I really enjoy Golden State.  Kinda has a 'long-lost 70's Brian song' vibe to it.

Yeah I'm digging this song too.  You should check out Duncan Maitland if you like this song:

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ksW90_xxq38Nqck_5ZgTFiVgqJRuhjbc0&feature=share

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 07:03:03 AM »

Was this posted already?

A Fort Mill man brought The Beach Boys back together and it's all for a great cause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPsFBSqxb64

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 12:52:42 PM »

I’ve got it on Spotify.

That surely can't be it, though, because Bruce's piano-led version of SBILA, which was recorded at some time before its 2007 release on a rare music sampler (and thus long before any lockdowns ever), sounded fine on that first release... and on this (I got the CD yesterday), it sounds as though Bruce's vocal has been put through a slightly distorting fuzz pedal. That 'effect' is completely absent on the 2007 release of the same track and performance. And yet it is there on many of the new CM tracks.

It has to be the mastering. I've listened on Youtube, Spotify and the CD versions of this CM release and they're all the same (apart from the original SBILA track released back in 2007, which wholly lacks that fuzzy quality... and was of course mastered for release 14-odd years ago).

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx