gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SS board slump  (Read 4234 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2021, 11:09:33 AM »

Where the hell did everybody go?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 11:14:15 AM »

One thing I'd like to ask as a newbie - why are there two prominent forums - was there a split at some point? Or were they set up for different parts of the world?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 12:44:17 PM »

It's still very active on here when we actually have news

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 01:22:51 PM »

Right. That Endless Harmony board is far busier but not in a good way in that there some really bland threads that have no interest, at least to me. Just a heaping amount mundane crap that most of us know anyway. The threads here are mostly interesting but there have been a few duds which happen everywhere. Besides that, I like the mods here as opposed to the Gestapo in EH land.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 01:25:58 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 01:44:05 PM »

Right. That Endless Harmony board is far busier but not in a good way in that there some really bland threads that have no interest, at least to me. Just a heaping amount mundane crap that most of us know anyway. The threads here are mostly interesting but there have been a few duds which happen everywhere. Besides that, I like the mods here as opposed to the Gestapo in EH land.  

No soup for you!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 04:32:48 PM »

One thing I'd like to ask as a newbie - why are there two prominent forums - was there a split at some point? Or were they set up for different parts of the world?

Somebody should write up a history of Beach Boys internet fora since the birth of the www.  It's actually kind of an epic story.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 05:23:19 PM »

Somebody should write up a history of Beach Boys internet fora since the birth of the www.  It's actually kind of an epic story.

And comes to involve such disparate things as the movie "Juno," the revival of "Smile," and the re-emergence of Rocky Pamplin!

I've been around from the beginning and it has been an astonishing ride.

That being said, there are no albums or shows right now. Everyone is getting on in years. Smile is out, at least two times now. Brian managed to make a handful of decent to great solo records. There was a successful reunion with better than dreamed of artistic results. We kind of got our happy ending -- now it's pretty much about enjoying the details.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 07:02:02 PM »

I've been around since the turn of the millennium -- it has been astonishing, hasn't it?

I agree that it's largely about details now -- and I for one would love it if more people were more talkative about certain details, but most details are not necessarily enough people's bag to get a conversation running on all cylinders. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 09:13:01 PM »

I think things are going to change for the better in this regard in a big way as soon as the FF box is released 😊
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 09:31:15 PM »

-
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:37:52 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 12:20:51 AM »

Personally check in almost every day but agree we are in a holding pattern until the FF official announcement.
Anyone remember 2011 and the very high likelihood of the C50? December it was announced and BOOM....Slumber time was over.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 08:56:17 AM »

Hi guys! Is there a new member board somewhere? I'm actually nts1drums on the Endless Harmony Board.

Now, as for the slump, OSD, did you look at the San Miguel board? I personally thought that that was interesting.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 10:36:43 AM »

Hi guys! Is there a new member board somewhere? I'm actually nts1drums on the Endless Harmony Board.

Now, as for the slump, OSD, did you look at the San Miguel board? I personally thought that that was interesting.

San Miguel Board?? Huh?  Huh

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 10:42:55 AM »

San Miguel Board?? Huh?  Huh

Oops! I meant thread!! Sad
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 11:07:31 AM »

welcome!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 12:37:15 PM »

Ummmm... is the Endless Harmony board down for the rest of you guys? I can’t get in! Sad
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 12:37:45 PM »

Edit: Sent same message twice.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:38:35 PM by nts and the drum » Logged
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 12:40:11 PM »

OK it’s back... but wtf was that? Huh
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 01:47:27 PM »

I guess it comes down to the fact it is an open forum, and unless someone gets banned or crosses some pretty basic lines of behavior and activity, whatever content is happening is ultimately in the hands of the members and readers here to create.  So I'm one to say fire away and post! It's a blank canvas until someone starts painting it.

I do agree that some of the members here are getting older, as is the board itself, and for many topics the discussions are ones which have been had here in the past. It seems like a brush-off sometimes, but if someone is asking questions about a particular topic, often the best reply is to do a search of the archives here and post a link to where the question was answered originally. The archives here are full of information that did not exist or was not published until a question was asked here and people went about their research to answer it. At some point the supply of unanswered questions starts to run out.

I guess it's also a case of the buffet effect (that's buff-ay, NOT Jimmy...). With so many choices it's hard to narrow down to a few without getting overstuffed. In the past years there have been so many new opportunities and outlets for people of a similar mindset to get together and chat. Facebook, Reddit, Sub-Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube's comments section, Twitch,  Discord...Who can keep up with all that stuff? And at some point, it does become repetitive and overwhelming at times to keep up with all the discussions, outlets, and information being put out there. At some point too the choice will be made to limit how many of these outlets people can be expected to visit regularly, no less being active participants. Again it's an open forum here and a blank canvas, feel free to throw some paint on that canvas at any time and start a new painting here. Unless you're banned.  Grin

Speaking of, a question was asked about other forums. At this point all three moderators/admins at one of them mentioned above have been banned for life from this forum and are not welcome back, due to their behaviors and breaking of the rules here and other related actions, along with what has been over 5 years of lies and distortions and attempts to trash this place and the people here. There was even another breakaway forum from that one, I have no idea why they broke away from the other place but cheers and good luck to them for doing the kind of forum they want to run independent of the "endless" goings-on, including what happens here I guess lol  Smiley .

They say there are two answers to every question: The truth, and everything else. The truth is in the archives here if it ever comes up or something other than the truth about things here is written as fact. They also say if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. The latter is a little harder to follow sometimes.

And everyday life often creeps in too, as in other responsibilities and life issues that didn't exist in our 20's or in 2008...so not as much time exists to hang out and chat here. But when that time does open up, it's always fun to see new people and new voices asking questions or adding to the discussion. If the canvas is looking too blank at any point, grab some paint and start something new! As Bob said, anyone can do it...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 01:10:47 AM »

"There's a nice, happy little sailboat that lives right over here....."

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx