gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:10:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Van Dyke Parks appreciation thread  (Read 1655 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2021, 08:41:55 PM »

Brian had four main collaborators, four great lyricists, none of whom we could do without: Love, Christian, Asher, and Van Dyke Parks, Take one out, and you get an incomplete picture of Brian's artistry. I wouldn't even attempt to rank them, they are all four so very, very important. Love has gotten a lot of flak over the years, some of it maybe deserved, but even the most ardent naysayers will have to admit that his contribution was hugely important, especially in the 1960s. The polar opposite would be Van Dyke Parks. The Love camp would say that VDP was bad for Brian, how he introduced him to a bohemian crowd, where the old lysergic was liberally indulged in. The trajectory would seem to be: ascension, peak, VDP, crash, bed. "Over and over, the crow cries uncover the cornfield..." Much has been said about those crazy "SMiLE" era lyrics, but just give them a proper listen, feel them, feel their musicality. They sing so bloody well. And then there was the reunion with Brian in 1995, which begat "Orange Crate Art", my favorite 90s project. And the completion of "BWPS" in 2003-2004. VDP's solo work is an acquired taste, but last night I finally got to hear "Clang of the Yankee Reaper", and I tell you, it's just as good as "Orange Crate Art", just as lush and just as old-timey. So three cheers for VDP !
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 08:51:04 PM by GoogaMooga » Logged
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:01:48 PM »

Absolute genius himself. Song Cycle is a masterpiece. What an incredibly talented man. I saw another poster say Song Cycle stereo or remix was being pitched but no takers. I asked for a link but no avail.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 09:46:20 PM »

Absolute genius himself. Song Cycle is a masterpiece. What an incredibly talented man. I saw another poster say Song Cycle stereo or remix was being pitched but no takers. I asked for a link but no avail.

Back in 1990, when I switched to CD and got heavily into music, I bought "Song Cycle" on the strength of VDP's rep and the lost album "SMiLE", and I did not get it at first. Sold it, only to repurchase a copy years later. It was also around that time that I got my first CD boot of "SMiLE", the one with the sphinx on the back inlay...
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 10:00:31 AM »

Anyone else love "Jump!"? Great music and lyrics by VDP. I was surprised to find out recently that the arrangements aren't his - surprised that he wouldn't be the natural choice for arranger (maybe he was too busy with other projects?), and surprised because the arrangements sound like his to my ears. Sadly it's not on Spotify anymore, would be interested to know why.

Also recently obsessed with the tune 'Mills Brothers' from Discover America.

I'll watch/listen to any interview with the man - he talks in riddles sometimes, and goes off on tangents like no one's business, but he's a walking encycloopedia and always interesting. I wish someone would get him to talk in depth about how he approaches an arrangement because his style is so  unique sounding to me.

Also seems to have a lot of time for people.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 01:44:19 PM »

I love Jump! I picked up a use copy on vinyl from the local record store, probably my favorite music purchase of the last year.

I haven't given his solo work enough attention yet, but appreciate his contributions to Smile and his work in arranging the strings for Joanna Newsom's Ys. 
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 06:50:36 PM »

VDP is the eternal missing link to so many different streams of popular music that it will take someone twice as gifted as he is to someday sort it all out in a major analytical volume. Hopefully they can also weave in his own colorful history as an original character, gadfly, polymathic scholar, and occasional pain-in-the-ass. The friend of mine who introduced me to SONG CYCLE lo those many years ago just passed away recently--I pulled out the CD as a tribute, and really enjoyed hearing it again--it'd been maybe 10-12 years. A surround version would be incredible--hope it happens.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 10:43:07 PM »

Was in Palm Desert last week and, from time to time, I couldn't help but break into lines like "Tenderfoot up to date palms of the real estate."  Catchy and clever as hell.
  I have to say, though, that I have mixed feelings about VDP.  I'm a huge fan of his music and lyrics, and his most famous collaboration with Brian was pure magic.   With that said, as a fan of Brian Wilson, I'm not an admirer of VDP's sometimes petty and occasionally churlish comments about the man who gave him his biggest break in the music industry (e.g., claiming he was "victimized by BW's buffoonery," whining about the Love & Mercy movie, etc.).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:57:21 PM by juggler » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx