gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:27:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A little video about Guess I'm Dumb  (Read 1598 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2021, 06:53:36 PM »

It's not a full-on You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower episode, but I've posted a new video to youTube where I extemporaneously consider the basic harmonic building blocks of Guess I'm Dumb.

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xAI1HwF9M4

I hope someone enjoys it!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 09:12:54 PM »

*puts hand up*

Thanks for that! Guess I'm Dumb is one of those throwaway standouts that exists in the Beach Boys plane, where only the diehards know about it but it's as good as or better than anything else they did at the time (and Glen Campbell really nailed that lead vocal). I appreciate your breakdown of the feels; great idea for a subset of videos for your channel. I may be in a minority but I love hearing stuff like that, like that professor in the IJWMFTT documentary.

Maybe you can comment on this... I know the song is linked with Sherry She Needs Me by virtue of being written with Russ Titleman around the same time, but I also hear a similarity in that I feel like you can sing "Sherry baby, I just can't stand it, it didn't work out the way we planned it" over the instrumental break of Guess I'm Dumb. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I'm all for more of this in addition to your regular programming!

Watch out for snakes!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:30:37 AM »

I just love this song, play it over and over and over again.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 08:16:21 AM »

Very enjoyable and interesting indeed! Makes me wonder if there's an outtake or demo lying around anywhere of Brian singing this incredible song.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 06:43:19 PM »

Excellent beginning for an idea that's pretty much on target with what I remember suggesting some time ago...left more thoughts at YouTube. You are right that you should play the track through 2-3 times before you start so you can power through the video (see what I did there?) without having to render as much production value to this type of presentation, which as I said at YouTube is like the intro into the understructure of the song. When you go to the actual production analysis, you can get more elaborate...we are all greedy and we want more, more, more! Thanks...
jwoverho
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 06:06:30 PM »

Thanks for the analysis! Amazing the level of sophistication that Brian was working at during this period.

Does anyone else hear Brian saying "awesome!" at around 2:22?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx