gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:52:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sourcing Smile tracks and BB hi-res audio  (Read 1442 times)
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2021, 04:49:39 AM »

Hi all,

An infrequent poster but persistent lurker here - I'm always amazed logging in here to see so many familiar names from the Smile Shop days still hanging out and posting amazing info and insights. Awesome. The standard of commentary is so consistently high here, so many congrats to the mods for maintaining what is usually an island of civility in the raging digi-seas of our current age. Anyway, I pop up (usually in lurker mode) when any archival-related stuff is in the wind and have managed to follow each of the currently 127 pages of discussion on the new Feel Flows set - from the dizzying highs to the terrifying lows, to the creamy, nugat-filled centres. Mmm.

In that discussion I found something I'd missed: the CIFOTM/IIGS nugget on the Friends release. I've hung my head in shame, gnashed my teeth and even managed a low-volume wail so as not to awake my snoozing fam. Then I tried to buy it in hi res audio and only found a wall of MP3s. More wailing etc.

My question is this. Where do the current crop of audiophile nerds on this board currently get their hi-res audio? I've recently shifted to an Apple Lossless library I play on Swinsian, but still buy cds where I can [drags knuckles]. The thing is, I refuse to buy on Apple Music platforms, because it's not the only system I use (and extracting stuff you buy seems more trouble than it's worth), and I feel hopelessly out of my depth when looking for other ways to purchase hi-res audio (Flac or ALAC both cool). Where do y'all recommend?

I'm also a devotee of Smile mixes, from Annie Wallace through Paul Carr to Soniclovenoize's (my current go-to Smile mix), and any new stuff you care to point me towards would be gratefully received.

Super excited about the Feel Flows stuff...I've always felt 71/72 to be an important part of the evolution of Smile (which to my mind didn't stop in 67...it kept on evolving through SmileySmile-Friends-20/20-Sunflower-SU, right up to the present day).  What brilliant thing a Desper-engineered Smile package would have been in that era (or now, for that matter...big fan of Linnet-Boyd et all as I am)! I hope the new archival release have and will continue to provide more raw material for remixers to bring new riches to the treasure trove of Smile arcana.
Cheers, EricW
GeorgeD
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:53:48 AM »

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/wake-the-world-the-friends-sessions-the-beach-boys/qn2ryqg4dkccc

Everything legally available in at least CD, but also often high resolution.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 02:11:44 PM »

Ace, thanks!
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 01:34:36 PM »

I usually check Qobuz first because the pricing generally is better, but it's hard to beat the selection at HDTracks if you're looking for high-res stuff (Flac/ALAC/DSD) https://www.hdtracks.com/#/artist/The%20Beach%20Boys
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »

Brilliant tips, thanks a lot.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx