gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:55:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys re-unite for “Add Some Music to Your Day” re-recording.  (Read 10925 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2021, 07:30:44 AM »

I think since the lawsuits are over, Mike and Al are pretty comfortable around each other. I remember around 2002 when the Beach Boys got their lifetime achievement award and were photographed backstage (Brian was there but didn't attend the shooting) someone said that you needed all those other people that were pictured with them, because left alone, Mike and Al would probably kill each other - or something to that effect. They have definitely come a long way since then, and that's a good thing.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2021, 12:50:30 AM »

Story on the recording including this on Brian...

But one thing was missing: Brian Wilson.

‘THEY JUST SAID, HE’S NOT AVAILABLE’

The original version of “Add Some Music to Your Day” was mainly written by Wilson (the Beach Boys’ founding songwriter, co-lead vocalist and former bandleader) and Love.

Vocals on the song were sung by Wilson, Love, Johnston, Jardine and Wilson’s brothers Carl and Dennis. Dennis Wilson died in 1983; Carl Wilson died in 1998. Beard wanted Brian Wilson to be involved in the new version of the song. Badly.

It wasn’t meant to be, however.

“I was told Brian wasn’t available. I asked twice. Just was told he wasn’t available,” Beard says.

“I’m assuming because of the pandemic. I’m assuming that. I don’t know. I’m not going to pry. It’s not my business. If it’s my business then they would say, ‘He’s not available because of this.’ They didn’t say that to me. They just said, ‘He’s not available.’ ... I just — you hear no twice ... you don’t want to upset anybody, because if you’re either upsetting somebody or manipulating somebody, you’ve lost your intention.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/article250435401.html
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2021, 05:05:00 AM »

It has often been noted - quite rightly - how well Al’s voice has held up over the years, but it has to be said that Bruce sounds in fine fettle on this recording. Just a shame his vocals seem a bit too buried into the mix to really hear them clearly. He’s always had a kind of reassuring voice, like his original vocals on God Only Knows, California Girls, At My Window, Tears In The Morning and Disney Girls, and I am liking his 2020/21 sound very much.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx