gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:32:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite Mike Leads, Bass Vocals and Songwriting Credits?  (Read 3054 times)
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2021, 06:07:48 AM »

Since Mike just turned 80, thought it would be interesting to see what everybody thinks are his top leads, bass vocals and songwriting credits (can be lyrics or music, your call) in his career. What comes to mind?
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 06:17:17 AM »

That's Not Me, Here Today and Kokomo - all bangers.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:17:57 AM by UEF » Logged
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 08:00:43 AM »

Vocal-wise, All I Wanna Do, Big Sur, Meant For You - all incredible. Lyrics-wise, Good Vibrations, The Warmth of the Sun, Kiss Me Baby, Only With You. Lots of good stuff.
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 02:02:21 PM »

I've always liked his bass vocals at the end of Surfin' Safari "yeah me, with me..."
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 02:51:26 PM »

So much stuff BUT his vocal on California Girls is just superb/perfect (lead and bass)
Do dissect his bass vocals on Our Prayer, they are near on impossible (we do it in our band, yes I do the bass vox and never get it right  Angry)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 06:10:32 PM »

So many great Mike bass vocals from the late '60s and early '70s that you really only notice by focusing on them. "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" is one that comes to mind.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 11:38:47 PM »

Some of my favorite Mike vocals:

Surfin' USA, Little Deuce Coupe, Good to My Baby, Kiss Me Baby, California Girls, Aren't You Glad, Meant for You, Do It Again, Big Sur

In terms of lyrics, I love all the fun-in-the-sun stuff and Wild Honey is incredibly consistent too. Also, his work with Brian on Today! doesn't get enough credit.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 05:09:34 AM »

I Get Around, Kiss me Baby, Big Sur.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 12:33:50 PM »

"California Girls", hands-down. Mike's contributions hit on all cylinders on that record, lyrics, performance, and delivery. It's one of those records that has the "magic" you can't define but you know it when you hear it, plus it starts immediately with one of the most majestic intros ever recorded in popular music and never lets up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 03:38:52 PM »

Ah 1965, the halcyon time when art and commerce were one in the BBs story.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 07:35:15 PM »

Lead vocals: California Girls definitely. All I Wanna Do is a very close second.
Bass vocals: the tag on Til I Die
Lyrics: The Warmth Of The Sun, Please Let Me Wonder

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 10:56:39 PM »

Lead vocals: Little Honda, I get around, California Girls, Here Today, All I wanna do, Big Sur (4/4), Airplane.
Bass parts: Their hearts were full of Spring; Fun, fun, fun; Here comes the night, breakaway, funky pretty.
Lyrics: Good Vibrations, The warmth of the sun, I’m waiting for the day, All this is that.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 01:43:18 AM »

Bass vocals: Don't Worry Baby, Catch a Wave - I always sing along to these when I hear those songs. Great stuff!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 04:46:04 AM »

Mike was/is such a great singer. So, let's see... "California Girls" obviously. Great, great lead vocals. A lot of the early Surf and Car songs present fantastic Mike leads. "Shut down", "Surfin' USA", "Fun, fun, fun" just to name a few. "Big Sur" shows his softer tone very well and is a very good song besides that. "All this is that" sounds like he's standing right beside you and whispers something in your ear. It gives you the chills, but in a good way, because of how he is able to control his voice. There are just too many great Mike moments that it's hard to come up with a representative list. One album I would like to point out (but basically the whole group is doing a fantastic job on it) is the '64 Christmas album. Be it the standards like "Santa Claus is coming to Town" or the originals like "Merry Christmas, Baby". Especially the later is one of the very best examples of how dynamic Mike's singing could be. It takes the song to another place. He's channeling Ronnie Spector, it seems. At that point he was the only Beach Boy (possibly apart from Brian, but I'm not sure about even that) who could do that. His singing is full of power and personality. Just mindblowing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 08:54:50 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 01:40:01 PM »

Mike may not have been 100 percent onboard for Pet Sounds, but he sang his heart out on it. That's Not Me and Here Today are great, and as much as I love Brian and his voice, I prefer WIBN with Mike singing the bridge, not Brian.

His bass vocal is great on a lot of songs, but All Dressed Up for School may be the best. For a lead vocal "snippet," I always liked his part on Breakaway.

For lyrics, Good Vibrations is great, and of course I have to go with Sound of Free. :-)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 06:16:30 PM »

Ah 1965, the halcyon time when art and commerce were one in the BBs story.... Cool Guy

For sure, Bro, and it all worked very well when Brian was in charge of the whole thing and the others did what they were told to do.    After a while, not so much. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 09:26:33 PM »

Definitely all dressed up for school. Surprised no one did that. He kills the bass vocals and the tag.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 11:29:24 PM »

Definitely all dressed up for school. Surprised no one did that. He kills the bass vocals and the tag.

Mike does sound great on it.

Is Brian even on that song vocally? It blew my mind completely when I found out that Al Jardine was the one singing falsetto on it. Even though once you recognize that it's Al, you could never unhear Al on it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx