gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:42:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: why didnt Sinatra record "still i dream of it'?  (Read 5781 times)
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:07 AM »

If ever there was a Simpsons episode where Marge leaves Homer and he forlornly pours his heart out in a song, then that song should surely by Still I Dream Of it!   LOL

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2021, 12:29:16 PM »

My impression after reading James Kaplan's Sinatra biographies is that the sub-par lyrics wouldn't be something that would have grabbed Sinatra.

By 1977 Frank wasn't recording as much and Brian wasn't hip or commercially successful then.

In 1966/1967 Sinatra probably would have been have somewhat interested in Brian writing a song for him if that would have meant a hit record.

But both of them wanted hit records, maybe Sinatra a little more at that point. That's one explanation for why Frank and/or his management allowed the disco singles to see the light of day, and why minus a masterful fluke like "New York New York" a few years later, Frank went back to Quincy Jones to get a more "contemporary" sound in the early 80's. He definitely wasn't doing it for his fanbase, who were and perhaps always will be perfectly content with hearing Frank as he was heard on Capitol backed by Riddle and May arrangements, live or on record. I'd also add the "Duets" project to the examples of Frank wanting a hit, on those he cast a wide net to grab multiple genres and successful performers he could put on an album.

I seriously think Frank as an interpreter of songs and lyrics was always on the lookout for new material that he thought would work for him, even further songs which he thought could be a hit. In that way, who knew whether or not something written by Brian Wilson would catch his ear any more than something by George Harrison, David Gates, Paul Simon, Jim Croce, John Denver, or anyone else from the 60's pop/rock field whose songs he covered?  It didn't hurt to try, short of actually presenting the song to Frank.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »

that song STILL I DREAM OF IT has a terrific melody i'd say for sure.  Maybe Sinatra misjudged at the time, but i'd also say lyrically it didn't impress me as much so maybe that's what gave Frank pause.  However it's important to emphasize Brian certainly did the right thing in submitting it for possibilities then

some years earlier Brain submitted another song for Andy Williams (which was also passed on), a song that is considered 'lost' now.  I wonder what that song sounded like
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx