gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:50:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine teases 60th Anniversary BB reunion concerts!  (Read 2366 times)
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2021, 12:54:19 PM »

Interesting...!

https://relix.com/news/detail/al-jardine-discusses-possible-beach-boys-touring-plans-in-new-interview/?fbclid=IwAR3miUdKxBYroW-NgYXDe1SN2WxryB1eCLk-CK-7oTdXEdS1F3e4N0O2h4c

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 01:49:49 PM by MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 01:04:59 PM »

“There will be other bands on there too paying tribute to the Beach Boys—it will be a big celebration,” he continued.

I absolutely hate this idea. But I guess it is what you normally do with these things.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 01:05:31 PM »

Despite being on their mailing lists I hope I get to know about this before it goes on sale rather than 3 weeks after
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 01:07:02 PM »

I read that as if to simply point out that the anniversary is at the conclusion of 2021. Based on other interviews, it sounds like this would be in 2022.

Also worth noting, and of course I've no idea where the article is, but I remember reading in Early 2011, an interview with Al where he said nearly the same exact thing about just a few "tribute" concerts (I think back then he said LA, DC, and NYC) and maybe a tour (and album) after. This is essentially the same response. The "tribute" came to fruition on Grammy Night in 2012. It is also worth noting that Mike and Bruce have rescheduled dates scattered from May 2021 - April 2022, which would make things interesting.....
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 01:22:49 PM »

It is also worth noting that Mike and Bruce have rescheduled dates scattered from May 2021 - April 2022, which would make things interesting.....

Someone's going to have to make a difficult call to the Webster County Fair...
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 01:32:34 PM »

I hope this doesn't turn into a concert like the 25th anniversary from Hawaii. If it's going to be 1 show or 3 or 4, let's just have it be the Boys, maybe the kids too for a portion of the show(sort of like what Simon and Garfunkel did with the Everly Brothers on their last tour a few years ago). But I don't want t see other bands or singers joining in singing their songs.....that just doesn't work for me.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 01:36:41 PM »

It is also worth noting that Mike and Bruce have rescheduled dates scattered from May 2021 - April 2022, which would make things interesting.....

Someone's going to have to make a difficult call to the Webster County Fair...

LOL

My point being, I've been getting emails as recently as today about shows that "The Beach Boys" have just rescheduled for April of 2022. On the same day that Al is talking reunion, Mike is announcing shows with his band.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »

I read that as if to simply point out that the anniversary is at the conclusion of 2021. Based on other interviews, it sounds like this would be in 2022.

Ah, fair point. I've modified the title.

And I well know, Al is usually out over his skis on reunion talk compared to the other members. But I want to believe!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 09:04:09 AM »

I hope this doesn't turn into a concert like the 25th anniversary from Hawaii. If it's going to be 1 show or 3 or 4, let's just have it be the Boys, maybe the kids too for a portion of the show(sort of like what Simon and Garfunkel did with the Everly Brothers on their last tour a few years ago). But I don't want t see other bands or singers joining in singing their songs.....that just doesn't work for me.

Here's the quote from Mike's interview last year:

Mike Love:
"Well I don't know how much there is in the vault, but I'd, I'll tell you this, we're coming up on probably the 60th anniversary of the group in another year or so, and that warrants something special that's for sure, and so, um, I've got some ideas on that but we're too early to talk about it. But um, uh, I think there will be opportunities to come up with compilations and and as you say archival but also new renditions with other artists and stuff of many of our songs and that, that'll be a lot of fun to do. And I think I'm looking forward to what the future may bring."

Of course it's pure speculation, but I'm also not as enthusiastic about these "new renditions with other artists" whether it's a Beach Boys greatest hits karaoke on stage with a lineup of special guests like that Hawaii show in the 80's, or yet another version of the "Stars And Stripes" concept where The Beach Boys are backup singers for other artists remaking their old hit records. It doesn't work for me either, but it sounds like that's what Mike is into and ostensibly what Al is talking about regarding live shows, especially if some kind of an album will be in the pipeline along with these "tribute shows".

At this point, for me at least, the best tribute would be to have a studio booked with a sign reading "Real Beach Boys Only" on the door, get the surviving members in there with video and tape rolling, and let them make music together for a day. The whole "tribute" thing has gone stale for me too, especially when the members are still alive and able to make music, without paying tribute to themselves by being backup singers.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 09:24:53 AM »

Here's the quote from Mike's interview last year:

Mike Love:
"Well I don't know how much there is in the vault, but I'd, I'll tell you this, we're coming up on probably the 60th anniversary of the group in another year or so, and that warrants something special that's for sure, and so, um, I've got some ideas on that but we're too early to talk about it. But um, uh, I think there will be opportunities to come up with compilations and and as you say archival but also new renditions with other artists and stuff of many of our songs and that, that'll be a lot of fun to do. And I think I'm looking forward to what the future may bring."

Of course it's pure speculation, but I'm also not as enthusiastic about these "new renditions with other artists" whether it's a Beach Boys greatest hits karaoke on stage with a lineup of special guests like that Hawaii show in the 80's, or yet another version of the "Stars And Stripes" concept where The Beach Boys are backup singers for other artists remaking their old hit records. It doesn't work for me either, but it sounds like that's what Mike is into and ostensibly what Al is talking about regarding live shows, especially if some kind of an album will be in the pipeline along with these "tribute shows".

At this point, for me at least, the best tribute would be to have a studio booked with a sign reading "Real Beach Boys Only" on the door, get the surviving members in there with video and tape rolling, and let them make music together for a day. The whole "tribute" thing has gone stale for me too, especially when the members are still alive and able to make music, without paying tribute to themselves by being backup singers.

Especially true because I'll bet dollars to donuts that *if* this tribute artist thing comes to fruition, that it's almost a certainty that audiences would be subjected to Sugar Ray and Orange County Biff Tannen aka Mark McGrath as part of the equation. Ick to the max. It'd just be so damn corny and lame.

Honestly the whole reunion is not something I have much if any interest in or hope for, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. I won't keep my hopes up because this "BBs as guest stars" thing is of little to no interest to me, considering who I imagine the younger whipper snapper bands would likely be. And I also fear and fully expect Mike's many recent Trump associations will sour this whole reunion in general for many.

Hate to be a downer, but I have little hope in this whole thing. But if good new BBs material WITH NO LAME GUEST STARS comes out of it, even a little, I suppose it'd be worth it. Also if could indirectly lead to more vault material getting out into the world, and/or getting more positive notoriety, then I guess it'd be worth it too.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 09:30:18 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 09:47:42 AM »

A live-in-studio with just a small dedicated audience might be best--akin to Macca Unplugged or even Eagles Hell Freezes Over (a bigger crowd, but not like a stadium or big concert hall).

Something where they could play a really interesting set list, be clear and be heard, and still have some audience reaction. (And a hell of a special experience for that crowd.)

And thus avoiding a stressful tour, to boot. (No pun intended.)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 05:23:35 PM »

Love this idea, and whole heartedly agree
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 06:04:46 AM »

I just don't have a lot of high hopes for this.  They are all entering their 80's and have held well over half a century of dysfunction towards each other.  Of course they did shatter my expectations with a mostly successful and high-profile 50th reunion but somehow I don't see lightning striking twice.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 09:32:01 AM »

If they play this right that could mean the best part of a year for everyone to get match fit and rehearsed.

The result? https://youtu.be/bpYJ7FIcQNg
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx