gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:10:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Shouty" Brian 1980's- '90's  (Read 2808 times)
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2021, 11:25:49 AM »

Do most people feel that the genesis of this voice is from the Modern Folk Quartet's "This Could Be The Night" ? I know this is Spector but it still seems a somewhat odd choice.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 01:50:05 PM »

It wasn't a connection made until after the period was largely over, but the audible evidence is pretty tough to ignore.

I think it's worth noting that Brian's latter day voice has been exceptionally variable, sometimes sounding like a totally different person given the project. Heck, Orange Crate Art and IJWMFTT came out the same year and sound like two different guys. BW88 sounds different from them, Sweet Insanity sounds different from that, and Imagination opens a whole new chapter.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:17:37 PM »

It wasn't a connection made until after the period was largely over, but the audible evidence is pretty tough to ignore.

I think it's worth noting that Brian's latter day voice has been exceptionally variable, sometimes sounding like a totally different person given the project. Heck, Orange Crate Art and IJWMFTT came out the same year and sound like two different guys. BW88 sounds different from them, Sweet Insanity sounds different from that, and Imagination opens a whole new chapter.

So true, and such a great point.  I would go further and add that it's not simply a matter of voice and singing style.   During the period, say, 1969-1999, Brian was in a state of constant change.  If you see or hear an interview during that period, Brian was almost like a radically different person approximately every two years or so. Different weight, hairstyle, voice, attitude, mental state.  It was like he was in constant flux.  I think that's what the makers of the "Love & Mercy" movie were getting at by having to different actors playing Brian like two completely separate characters.  All the credit in the world, though, to Melinda W., Brian's doctors and Brian himself for finally achieving a level of personal stability approximately 20 years ago that seems to have stuck.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:19:45 PM by juggler » Logged
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 02:21:49 PM »

Do most people feel that the genesis of this voice is from the Modern Folk Quartet's "This Could Be The Night" ? I know this is Spector but it still seems a somewhat odd choice.

I always like to quote from this 1992 French interview with Brian:

-You've made yourself famous in the sixties by composing, arranging, producing and singing ...

-(Sneering.) Heh, heh.

-… songs for a vocal group. It was a unique position at the time: to be a composer, producer, arranger and singer all at the same time. Even Phil Spector didn't do all of that.

-He tried.

-Did he try to sing?

-Haven't you heard a record called "This Could Be The Night"? Well, it sounded like he was the one singing. It's a group called The Modern Folk Quartet. There was a guy in the Quartet who had a nasal sound, and Phil Spector made it amazing sound. It was the first time that I had really heard him take care of an ordinary singer.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »

THIS COULD BE THE NIGHT was once called Brian Wilsons favorite spector production (listening to it it's easy to understand why).  Brian did it himself on the Harry Nilsson tribute CD (because Harry co-wrote the song, when he was working for Phil early on).  Harry himself tried recording TCBTN very late in his career, for an album apparently never officially released

TCBTN was used as the title theme song for the 1966 electronovision (b&w) movie THE BIG T.N.T. SHOW on which Spector was music producer (it's a sequel to the TAMI SHOW movie).  The Ronettes perform in TNT SHOW

But TCBTN, as originally recorded  by MFQ was never released as a record, although it was scheduled to be (presumably on Philles label) but cancelled the very day before (or so the story goes).  Reasons for this never went into detail except a major disagreement between the band and Phil.  Later in the '70s the song eventually snuck out on vinyl as a rarities track on a Phil Spector International import LP
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »

THIS COULD BE THE NIGHT was once called Brian Wilsons favorite spector production (listening to it it's easy to understand why).  Brian did it himself on the Harry Nilsson tribute CD (because Harry co-wrote the song, when he was working for Phil early on).  Harry himself tried recording TCBTN very late in his career, for an album apparently never officially released

TCBTN was used as the title theme song for the 1966 electronovision (b&w) movie THE BIG T.N.T. SHOW on which Spector was music producer (it's a sequel to the TAMI SHOW movie).  The Ronettes perform in TNT SHOW

But TCBTN, as originally recorded  by MFQ was never released as a record, although it was scheduled to be (presumably on Philles label) but cancelled the very day before (or so the story goes).  Reasons for this never went into detail except a major disagreement between the band and Phil.  Later in the '70s the song eventually snuck out on vinyl as a rarities track on a Phil Spector International import LP

This is amazing history, thanks because I did not know this info about TCBTN.

It would not surprise me if Brian himself was either consciously or unconsciously influenced a bit by Phil Spector in terms of recording some of his very best material and then socking it away and simply not releasing it.

Phil was Brian's musical idol, and both of these guys did that particular specific dysfunctional behavior, certainly for different reasons, but ultimately most likely out of some sort of fear of rejection in some capacity. There were a ton of amazing Phil Spector songs recorded right around this time in 1965/1966, which were never released and only finally came out many years later on the back to mono box set.

I wonder how much knowledge Brian had of this happening at the time in 66, but I would think he had a hunch that some of that was going on with Phil, and when it came to Smile, it might've seemed like a logical extension of a thing that a talented producer simply does sometimes, it probably entered his head as a notion once the external pressures of Smile became too much to handle. I suppose it's always possible that Brian did what he did in a bubble completely separate from Phil without an iota of knowledge or influence, but something tells me the career trajectory of Phil Spector around this time had an influence on Brian, perhaps freaking him out that the style of music was no longer relevant and should not be released.
Acechaser
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 11:46:27 AM »

Very interesting thread re:  TCBTN.  But, was the influence of this 1965 recording on Brian's vocals delayed for 20 ish years?   
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 12:14:56 PM »

On the first leg of his first solo tour, This Could Be The Night was played at all 4 shows.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 08:55:53 AM »

Maybe it had something to do with being involved with Landy because that's when it seemed to surface. Possibly because this was the start of his solo career he wanted a new sound. His voice sounds remarkably like the lead on the MFQ's on TCBTN.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx