gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:52:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking Back With Love - Official Release  (Read 10912 times)
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »

https://open.spotify.com/album/3bDPASvPa8Ev18ZUbXPrBt?si=-yBvhXZUT6-6LbgmjgC6_g

It's real.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 11:14:04 AM »

Finally, Mike's beloved ode to muff diving can be heard by a new generation. Fans rejoice; Rockin' the Fan in the Boat
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 11:20:52 AM »

Finally, Mike's beloved ode to muff diving can be heard by a new generation. Fans rejoice; Rockin' the Fan in the Boat

Looking at the lyrics it looks like something more manual

Ah well; it *is* a ‘digital release’ after all...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 11:32:51 AM »

I didn't think Irving Azoff would start with this 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 11:33:58 AM »

What's interesting is that, According to Amazon, this went up on February 16th. Two days before the Iconic Artists deal was announced.

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 12:14:57 PM »

The company behind this release—43 North Broadway—is one of the intellectual property vultures that has gained notoriety in the last few years from buying up defunct independent labels and then putting out these slipshod digital releases. They must have acquired Boardwalk’s assets at some point. Probably can safely assume that Mike/the BBs’ camp/Iconic had nothing to do with the release. Haven’t fully taken the time to examine this new digital version of LBWL but I think I’ve already noticed the left and right channels have been swapped from the original release.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 12:40:40 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »

Might be worth bringing up that 43 North Broadway’s legal standing regarding whether they actually the rights to the material they put out occasionally gets called into question… here’s a Washington Post article detailing lawsuits they’re facing over the rights to the Black Jazz record label. I also noticed recently that 43 North Broadway put out a version of the Buckinghams’ Kind Of A Drag album on streaming services even though Columbia Records also has a version on streaming services (after Columbia acquired the rights to Kind Of A Drag from the independent label USA Records back in the ’60s). Hence my skepticism about any involvement with the Mike Love camp on this LBWL reissue…

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »

Pirate High Five Rock! Thud Transcendental Meditation Head Spin Whatever! Shrug Ahhh! Shocked Roll Eyes LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 03:52:17 PM »

Crazy confession..:.I actually really like about 3/4 of this, especially on and on and on, and the last three songs.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 03:56:37 PM »

Crazy confession..:.I actually really like about 3/4 of this, especially on and on and on, and the last three songs.

You're not alone. I wouldn't use the word love, but some of this album is definitely a guilty pleasure, same with some of SIP.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 03:24:50 AM »

You're not alone. I wouldn't use the word love, but some of this album is definitely a guilty pleasure, same with some of SIP.

I'm also quite fond of SIP. That's the good thing about music. Even a thing that a critic would destroy has it's merits as long as somebody gets some joy out of it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 06:29:10 AM »

I'm also quite fond of SIP. That's the good thing about music. Even a thing that a critic would destroy has it's merits as long as somebody gets some joy out of it.

Yep, same here - Always thought the vocals were superb, great production (other than the crap drums) but just a shame about some of the material
OH and a superb sleeve
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 11:18:38 AM »

Mike’s version of Teach Me Tonight was always a guilty pleasure of mine.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 11:16:42 PM »

I guess this is my excuse to finally give this thing a listen. I've seen used copies in stores recently, but they weren't in the best shape.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 08:54:48 AM »

If this thing is ever given a digital release for purchase I'd probably snag "Be My Baby" and "Paradise Found" perhaps. I do wonder why it's available for streaming but not purchase. I also really do wonder if it's legal. Anybody interested in contact Michael Edward Love or his people for their take on this?

Anyways, maybe I'll give this album a listen later. I had some old mp3s from a while ago that I never really dug into, so maybe it's time to get the album more of a chance. Obviously it doesn't have a great reputation at all, however there are some folks on this board whose taste I pretty much trust who have a soft spot for this album.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »

The very strange thing is when on Spotify, take a look at the artist listing for the album. Yes it states "Mike Love", yet it's a wholly different Mike Love artist listing compared to his other releases like UTL.

That's very, very weird, and almost comical that this discrepancy has gone unnoticed both by fans as well as whatever people in a corporate office who uploaded the songs to Spotify
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »

"One Good Reason" was the Huey Lewis and the News formula before Huey Lewis!  (quick, call the lawyers!! lol)

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2021, 05:51:47 AM »

"Lookin' Back With Love is the name of the new Mike Love album, and with the lame album cover and the even lamer in store display piece, we're sure to sell zero units - in Februrary!"   LOL
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:13:01 AM by SenorPotatoHead » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »

"Lookin' Back With Love is the name of the new Mike Love album, and with the lame album cover and the even lamer in store display piece, we're sure to sell zero units - in Februrary!"   LOL

LOL
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 06:29:01 AM »

Also on YT Music if you don't have Spotify:

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mz57M2TockrnwTSAEPav6O0cq4foNZtn4

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 11:16:28 AM »

Still not on Apple Music.
wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 11:16:57 AM »

Mike was not interested in having this album reissued on CD, let alone in high def.  He was approached several times by a legit CD reissue label and declined to proceed with a digital release.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 11:17:39 AM by wilojarston » Logged
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2021, 07:23:12 PM »

I have a vinyl rip of it, but I am currently listening to the Spotify release now. I like about half this album, but I think there should have been more Beach Boys involvement personally.
wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 07:35:59 PM »

It wouldn't have been a solo album for him if there was more Beach Boys inclusion, right?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2021, 08:24:28 PM »

As bad/mediocre/awful/sometimes guilty pleasure OK that this album is throughout, it's far more listenable relatively speaking to my ears than any other solo efforts that Mike has put out. Ironic that this would be the one he wants to bury.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx