gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:14:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Derek Taylor Smile Interview April '67  (Read 969 times)
DingDangIsTheGreatestSong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2021, 08:46:23 PM »

Does anyone know if theres more information on this interview with Derek Taylor? On April 29, Taylor announced in Disc & Music Echo that "All the 12 songs for the new Beach Boys album (Smile) are completed and ... there are plans to release the album on a rush-schedule any moment." I wonder if Taylor was lying or just buying time or something or was Smile really "complete" at this point? So many questions!!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »

Another possibility... someone showed Taylor the front and back cover slicks and he incorrectly assumed that Capitol wouldn't print up a 12-song track list unless the tracks were done?  It's a purely speculative hypothesis, but the reason I throw it out there is in that same piece Taylor (accurately) describes the final Smile cover art, so the cover was on his mind when he wrote that stuff.   Of course, I know that Carl or whoever provided that track list back in December '66 when certain listed tracks most certainly had not been recorded. But did Taylor know that?

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 05:13:41 AM »

The slicks had been done for months, Derek knew about them. He was also frequently attending their sessions. Either Derek was making it up to buy time or Brian told Derek something to buy time, I don't think there's much to this. Still interesting.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 05:16:23 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »

The slicks had been done for months, Derek knew about them. He was also frequently attending their sessions. Either Derek was making it up to buy time or Brian told Derek something to buy time, I don't think there's much to this. Still interesting.

Very interesting - the goings on between the various members of the group and Capitol execs or whoever in putting an end to SMiLE are endlessly fascinating. One day someone's gonna find those finished tapes and we'll all be left with nothing to speculate about!  3D
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx