gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:18:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys re-unite for “Add Some Music to Your Day” re-recording.  (Read 10921 times)
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2021, 08:30:24 AM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beach-boys-add-some-music-1132591/?fbclid=IwAR2-V_tO9PJg0XnrltKmfzyB_ObhPhUVasVBRwlZ5yKKVknnLOzRYsaE7aQ

Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks have come together to re-record the Beach Boys classic "Add Some Music To Your Day."

"Beach Boys Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston, and David Marks have come together to re-record the band’s 1970 classic “Add Some Music to Your Day.” It’s the lead-off single of the new LP California Music Presents Add Some Music, which arrives on April 23rd.

The album is the brainchild of David Beard, the editor and publisher of the long-running Beach Boys fanzine Endless Summer Quarterly. He brought the various factions of the Beach Boys, minus Brian Wilson, back together for the new version of “Add Some Music to Your Day,” which also includes contributions from Brian Wilson’s daughters Wendy and Carnie Wilson; Al Jardine’s son Matt Jardine; and Mike Love’s children Christian, Hayleigh, and Ambha Love. It was produced by Rob Bonfiglio, who is married to Carnie Wilson and plays guitar in Brian Wilson’s touring band. A portion of the profits will benefit Feeding America."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:38:20 AM by GuyO » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:10:35 AM »

Nice to see them all together on a project! This is lovely.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 09:10:57 AM »

liked it... well done  Cheesy

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 09:13:37 AM »

It sounds lovely. I think we all wish Brian had been involved, but his absence doesn't have to detract from the music itself. I noticed he (rightfully) is in the "With Great Appreciation" section in the music video's credits.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 09:18:45 AM »

Very nicely done -- and for a good cause! Here's the direct link to the video:
https://youtu.be/90JFsfj4LRU

And the link to the Rolling Stone story without all the FB tracking junk:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beach-boys-add-some-music-1132591/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:19:40 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »

Great to see these people together and for such a lovely cause. Of course too bad Brian was not involved.

If you watch the video and especially if you wait until the end credits you'll get a good idea of everyone's involvement. Rob Bonfiglio co-produced the recording (with ESQ's David Beard) and plays most of the instruments. Additional guitars by David Marks and Jeffrey Foskett plus cello and violin by guest musicians Austin Hoke and Kristin Weber.

Lead vocals are by Mike, Al and Bruce with Matt  Jardine reproducing Carl's original lead part. Additional vocals by Carnie, Wendy and Lola (Carnie and Rob's daughter), Rob Bonfiglio, Justyn Wilson, Christian, Ambha and Hayleigh Love.

Lovely to see Carl and Dennis in the video too. John Stamos however... ;-)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 09:40:36 AM »

Nice to see a lot of people getting together for this....it sounds great! Mike sounds really good on this - if the reunion album happens then Rob Bonfiglio needs to mix it...Keep Joe Thomas (and whoever mixes Mike's albums) lightyears away from that mixing board. \

Anyone remember when a bunch of Smiley Smilers got together to cover 'Add Some Music'? So many of us from different countries and states sent in their parts and they were all compiled together. One of the best collaborations I was ever a part of.

It's amazing how this music can bring so many people together. Especially this song in particular.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »

Very nice to see!
Just two things that I noted:

The Dennis footage is longer and probably from a different part of the interview than what has been used on documentaries before, if I'm not mistaken.
A "Brian Wilson" is mentioned in the acknowledgements. I don't know if this is Brian or maybe someone of the children/grandchildren.

Interesting to see that not a single person from these families doesn't look awkward in front of a camera without an instrument  LOL
Yes, we could criticize some things of this project (why the h!ll is Stamos there?) but that's really not needed. It's too much of a nice gesture and from the little I can say (I've only listened with laptop loudspeakers) a good recording. Thanks guys'n'gals!

p.s. Good to see Jeff Foskett there!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:05:16 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 10:21:09 AM »

Very nice, sad to see Brian wasn't there

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 12:05:34 PM »

"Brian Wilson" is mentioned in the acknowledgements. I don't know if this is Brian or maybe someone of the children/grandchildren.

Oh, undoubtedly the idea there was to thank THE Brian Wilson, not some other random dude.  The folks on that list (also including Melinda, Darian, Leaf, Linett, Boyd etc.) are luminaries of varying degrees in the BB universe but had no direct involvement in this project.

IIRC, David Beard was talking up this project like 9 months ago.  This was the big news he was promising.

It's nicely done.  And, once again, I gotta say, I have some admiration for Mike Love's taste in real estate.  His view of Lake Tahoe is nothing short of spectacular.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »

I have some admiration for Mike Love's taste in real estate.  His view of Lake Tahoe is nothing short of spectacular.

I was thinking the same thing.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 01:26:29 PM »

Do we know why Brian wasn’t involved?
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 01:30:23 PM »

Isn't it obvious?
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 01:37:51 PM »

Isn't it obvious?

If it was obvious to me, I wouldn’t have asked.  He’s posted a few videos of him singing at home (at least he did earlier in the quarantine) so I’m not sure why there wouldn’t be a snippet of him here. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »

several takeaways:

-Mike sounds really good, and this proves he doesn't need to rely on autotune

-I would be surprised if Mike's antics from 2020 didn't play into the reasons why Brian was MIA here. Brian is certainly missed.

-it's heartwarming to see the kids involved, and I very much applaud them for trying to move past the baggage of their parents' generation.

-it's incredible how much legitimacy Al brings to the entire project. This just goes to prove what a bad mistake it was for Mike to fire Al in 1998. The version of the band that Mike has been peddling since then would have doubtlessly been taken far more seriously if Al had been part of the equation.

-really great to see David involved too.

-props to everyone involved, it's totally rad to finally see this.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 02:57:05 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 02:33:08 PM »

Gee, that was really lovely and touching. A favourite song from my favourite BB album, it's just perfect for this kind of family project, isn't it?

Went down great too on the 50th anniversary tour, with Brian singing most of Mike's parts.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »

Just a lovely video and recording by all involved. Wouldn't it be great if there was a CD of classic Beach Boy tunes re-recorded by this group including the boys family and friends! How awesome would that be
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2021, 07:20:29 PM »

Isn't it obvious?

If it was obvious to me, I wouldn’t have asked.  He’s posted a few videos of him singing at home (at least he did earlier in the quarantine) so I’m not sure why there wouldn’t be a snippet of him here. 

Well - yeah - I'm just assuming, but I dare say Brian has "checked out" when it comes to "group" projects. Maybe he'll continue to do the odd thing with Al's involvement, but I don't see him ever showing up for a group project again. Probably a good part of the reason that the rights have been sold off. And who's to say that someone who has worked as hard as Brian and acheived what he has should have to do anything he doesn't want to do.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2021, 08:26:34 PM »

several takeaways:

Unless I'm confusing my sound processing, I believe he is autotuned here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:27:12 PM by roffels » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2021, 09:44:55 PM »

several takeaways:

Admittedly I only listened to this once on my phone speakers, will have to relisten. But whatever processing happening here upon first listen seemed less egregious and more tasteful than other recent Mike vocals.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2021, 02:05:08 AM »

Well - yeah - I'm just assuming, but I dare say Brian has "checked out" when it comes to "group" projects. Maybe he'll continue to do the odd thing with Al's involvement, but I don't see him ever showing up for a group project again. Probably a good part of the reason that the rights have been sold off. And who's to say that someone who has worked as hard as Brian and acheived what he has should have to do anything he doesn't want to do.

It's hard to reconcile your analysis with what are purportedly the man's own words, like, uh, a week ago...  Roll Eyes

Most exciting to Brian is the idea of touring and possibly recording with the group he founded in his parents’ living room six decades ago. “It’d be a great trip, a big thrill,” he says. “When we went on tour for the 50th anniversary we had so much fun. It’d be such a joy to be singing with the boys again.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/features/beach-boys-rights-sale-azoff-1129316/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2021, 03:26:06 AM »

Just listened with headphones. Really a very, very good performance by all. Mike sounds great, Al sounds great, Bruce sounds great! Interesting to hear some of the "unknown" harmonies like Matt Jardine and Christian Love together.
It's also touching to see some of the youngest members (for example Carnie's daughter) starting to embrace their musical heritage.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a CD of classic Beach Boy tunes re-recorded by this group including the boys family and friends!

Oh God, please no! This recording and video is a winner. But a whole album would take away a lot of the beauty of it. If it would be just the children and none of the Beach Boys, ok, but otherwise it wouldn't mean anything to me. Just like Fogerty's new recordings with his children. Of course I understand that it must be special to the individuals to make music with their children, but as an album release, as I said above, it would take away the beauty of this singular event. New songs, though, would possibly be a different thing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 03:29:06 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2021, 03:48:23 AM »

I loved it.

But there are two persons missing in this video (apart from Brian, of course) that I'd like to see more involved in any new Beach Boys projects / possible reunions : Blondie and Ricky ! Blondie's voice is always a welcome addition to anything.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »

several takeaways:

Most of them are heavily dunked in autotune on the whole track.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2021, 10:19:43 AM »

several takeaways:

Most of them are heavily dunked in autotune on the whole track.

I'll listen to it again on proper speakers.  Even if there's some autotune assistance here, it ain't anywhere near stuff like the Mike UTL Help Me Rhonda, which I guess means the bar was set so robotic that it's a breath of fresh air to have stuff sound less robo than that, relatively speaking.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx