gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:40:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New PET SQUARES ep: "The Surfin' USA Album"  (Read 901 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2021, 08:01:31 AM »

Just did an early drop of the 2nd episode of PET SQUARES because of the success of the youTube Patreon drive (today is the last day) and the great response to the 1st episode.

The topic is the 2nd album SURFIN' USA and the dive is deep indeed, discussion about why Dennis didn't play on the single (or did he?), whether Al sings on "Lonely Sea," and Mike's surprisingly pervasive but inaudible sax playing throughout this album. It runs rather long at 47 minutes and there are enunciation issues in spots trying to get all the information in. I'll work on that in future episodes.

Here it is...enjoy and thanks for watching!

https://youtu.be/9viopZgxHKQ
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:37:10 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up! I am planning to watch this tomorrow, didn't have a chance yet.
The Surfin' USA album is a fascinating release and basically pushes the Beach Boys in another dimension from before. I'm looking forward to your opinion.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 09:25:04 AM »

Very enjoyabe disuccion of a great Rock'n'Roll album!

Regarding the "Dennis-on-Surfin' USA"-discussion: I only knew the rumours that Dennis wasn't on the track but all the speculation around it was new to me, so I may be overlooking something. But I just listened again to the demo (released a.o. on "Hawthorne, CA") and there is a certain difference between the demo-drums and the master recording. The demo version (of which I don't know when it was recorded) has the drummer hitting the snare on the "4" on some of the "just bassdrum" measures. This is the way Dennis played on live shows. The master take though has only the bassdrum on these parts on all 4 beats. So my guess is Dennis plays on the demo, someone else on the master.
I also wonder if the slight lyrical changes from demo to master take come from Mike, hence his co-writership claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mslLZD_8RUg

EDIT: Not sure about the intro to "Surf Jam". Sounds like two voices on the left channel, one on the right. My guess it's Brian and Mike left, Dennis right. But if this wasn't "live" and overdubs did take place, I'd say Brian and Mike left, Mike right as I don't think Dennis would call on himself. His and Mike's voices could sound similar during the first years from time to time.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 09:35:30 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx