gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:26:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: shirt  (Read 2774 times)
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2021, 01:33:38 PM »

In the Target ad this week. Beach Boys tour 83 shirt.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 04:50:25 PM »

And so it begins?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »

I looked it up out of curiosity. FWIW- Hot Topic has had this same shirt on and off for at least six years now, since I first saw it. They've also carried a black one with a "worn" looking KTSA album cover snow globe image on it.
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 06:21:34 AM »

I thought to myself a few months ago that it'd be nice to have a reprint of the '83 tour shirt but now that one's here I don't think I can actually bring myself to pull the trigger. Seems kinda dishonest to wear a dated shirt from a tour I didn't go to.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 06:42:28 AM »

I saw them on that tour, at the Meadowlands in NJ, Dennis' last tour. I'll always remember when he came out in the encore and sang YASB, his voice was so shot, so raspy, that the next days papers said Joe Cocker had shown up to sing it. But they also performed some long lost classics like Looking at Tomorrow...it was a great show.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 09:20:51 AM »

And so it begins?

Target started selling this shirt months ago. Quite a long time before the news of the buyout/whatever you want to call it, so I think it's just a coincidence.

By the way, I bought it - it's a good shirt, but beware; it really shrinks in the dryer!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »

Yeah the quality sucks but for the price is anyone surprised? Anyone got the $195 reproduced shirts on the BBs site? Nice but too pricey for me to justify.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 05:50:41 PM »

I don't see a problem with Beach Boys themed T-shirts becoming more available to buy at retail outlets. For one thing, the cost factor and lower prices is a good thing. Paying concert venue merch table prices for these shirts which are way overpriced sort of limits the audience, right? And yes, I agree 100% about whatever those shirts are that they're selling on the BB's website for $175...that's crazy. Who is the demographic in mind that would spend that much on a T-shirt? If the idea is to expand the band's demographic audience and appeal to a wider base of fans, bring down the prices of this stuff like shirts and make them available for regular people who might buy a shirt because they like the graphic and are interested in the band. I'd never pay $175 for a damn T-shirt, I'd be afraid to wash it. Maybe you're supposed to buy a shirt like that and frame it on the wall? I don't know. I'd rather buy a Robert Graham shirt for less than that and enjoy wearing it. 

And I don't see a problem with buying shirts for concerts you didn't attend. I and millions of others have had quite a few concert posters on our walls through the years for acts and shows that happened before I was born. I also still laugh at that silly trend where kids were wearing Che Guevara t-shirts and didn't even know who the guy was - but whoever held the trademark on that image made a killing (pun intended) on his face.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 10:24:00 PM »

I saw them on that tour, at the Meadowlands in NJ, Dennis' last tour. I'll always remember when he came out in the encore and sang YASB, his voice was so shot, so raspy, that the next days papers said Joe Cocker had shown up to sing it. But they also performed some long lost classics like Looking at Tomorrow...it was a great show.

Was that the show where both Billy Joel & Dean Torrence appeared, their first since the announcement that they'd be playing the 4th of July on the National mall again? I was so far up in the rafters that it was hard to tell what was going on.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 04:43:20 AM »

Yes Billy Joel was there too. Place was packed and shaking. Back in the day when the Beach Boys could sell out major Arenas like this and Rattle the rafters
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 07:50:44 AM »

There's an audience recording of "Lookin' at Tomorrow" from the 80s around. Great performance and arrangement. Musicians really love to let lose on songs like this, that fit so well for that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 09:13:07 AM »

The full 4/8/83 NJ concert audio is up on YouTube. It has been a pretty commonly circulating show for decades. Sound quality is okay-ish; not horrible for an early 80s indoor arena recording I guess.

A soundboard recording of their '83 version of "Lookin' at Tomorrow" would be great; while the '83 band wasn't exactly hard-rockin' across the board, they cooked on that one when they did in '83.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »

I've listened to the You Tube concert recording, and Looking a Tomorrow in particular. It's ok, not a great recording, but it was a great show. When they went into LAT, I was almost in a frenzy! It was a great version.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx