gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:44:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys bought  (Read 27662 times)
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2021, 07:30:35 AM »

1-2 hundred million dollars. Too rushed now to link it up, but it's on Bloomberg News.
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:36:38 AM »

Behind a paywall, but here's a link:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-18/music-mogul-buys-beach-boys-songs-calling-band-underappreciated
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:37:08 AM »

Here's the full article available without a subscription:

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/music-mogul-buys-beach-boys-songs-calling-band-underappreciated

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:39:45 AM »

I had previously mentioned here how Iconic had acquired some of the Beach Boys’ publishing rights (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27459.msg668103.html#msg668103). Great to finally get some clarification on what was going down.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 07:42:33 AM »

I had previously mentioned here how Iconic had acquired some of the Beach Boys’ publishing rights (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,27459.msg668103.html#msg668103). Great to finally get some clarification on what was going down.

That was great detective work! Yes indeed.

You read hints of it here weeks ago too:  Wink
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26791.msg668978.html#msg668978

And it's funny how relatively little interest those discussions had at the time when it was right on the money (pun intended)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:42:48 AM »

That was great detective work! Yes indeed.

You read hints of it here weeks ago too:  Wink
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26791.msg668978.html#msg668978

Good to know that Live in 1970 set can be considered an “official release” Grin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:44:51 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 07:43:04 AM »

I'm surprised it took this long for this to finally hit the news. Now that this is public knowledge, this can hopefully help to contextualize some of the the goings-on in the recent past and going forward.

While the thread "Beach Boys Bought" actually is not too far off from what has happened, a thread re-titling might be in order. Something like "Irving Azoff/Iconic Buy Majority Interest in BRI". Azoff has not, as far as I know, purchased a 100% stake. Just a majority stake.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:44:21 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 07:43:51 AM »

Rolling Stone feature:

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/features/beach-boys-rights-sale-azoff-1129316/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 07:44:39 AM »

Maybe a dumb question, but should we view this as a good thing? Any speculation as to what it means for future releases?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 07:53:31 AM »

One thing that is positive with the muscle behind Irving Azoff's corporations is how the marketing of the legacy can be done perhaps with more targeted efforts to put the Beach Boys in the upper echelon of legacy acts where they belong. That's pretty much what Azoff spelled out as a goal in the article.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 07:55:14 AM »

Gotta love Al. Correctly cites the failure of the "Beach Boys Cafe" back decades ago, then by the end of the article hopes that they might do......a Beach Boys restaurant.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 07:58:20 AM »

One thing that is positive with the muscle behind Irving Azoff's corporations is how the marketing of the legacy can be done perhaps with more targeted efforts to put the Beach Boys in the upper echelon of legacy acts where they belong. That's pretty much what Azoff spelled out as a goal in the article.

And with an outside firm holding a controlling interest in BRI, there will no longer be unilateral decisions to do things like the controversial bookings Mike did last year.

Mike retains the touring license, but I guarantee you that the company controlling the name/brand will ensure those types of shows don't happen anymore.

The now-minority shareholder band members no longer are needed to decide what happens with the license if serious issues arise.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 08:00:42 AM »

I admit, when reading the Rolling Stone article and it got to the section of the band's business failures, I laughed and thought they could have added a few paragraphs to list more of those failures. "Club Kokomo"... LOL

I don't think Azoff will allow money to be lost on bad business ideas.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 08:06:42 AM »

And with an outside firm holding a controlling interest in BRI, there will no longer be unilateral decisions to do things like the controversial bookings Mike did last year.

Mike retains the touring license, but I guarantee you that the company controlling the name/brand will ensure those types of shows don't happen anymore.

The now-minority shareholder band members no longer are needed to decide what happens with the license if serious issues arise.

Yes indeed, this new arrangement is a good thing in that regard! I felt that the BRI structure outgrew (or outlived) its status and ability to maintain the brand years ago and it was almost a constant stalemate in place with the votes.

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 08:10:41 AM »

Any time a corporate interest starts excitedly talking about "the brand" it makes about 6 million cartoon alarm sounds go off in my head, but this is... intriguing? The part about the master recordings stuck out to me. Hm.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 08:16:44 AM »

Any time a corporate interest starts excitedly talking about "the brand" it makes about 6 million cartoon alarm sounds go off in my head, but this is... intriguing? The part about the master recordings stuck out to me. Hm.

A corporation has been handling the "brand" all along. Prior to this, it was BRI itself and its shareholders, who have historically done little to help the band's legacy or branding/merchandising/social media, etc.

This isn't some monolith corporation buying a mom-and-pop outfit. This is one corporation buying a controlling interest in another, with plans to *improve* the brand so that all parties (let's remember BRI members are still minority shareholders) reap the benefits.

Now they simply have a company who knows how to do this stuff who can make *decisions* about this stuff, and can do so *without* 60 years of politics/backbiting/disgruntled feelings, etc. informing those decisions.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 08:26:09 AM »

I'm surprised it took this long for this to finally hit the news. Now that this is public knowledge, this can hopefully help to contextualize some of the the goings-on in the recent past and going forward.

This is directly related to the circular firing squad episode?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 08:26:36 AM »

A corporation has been handling the "brand" all along. Prior to this, it was BRI itself and its shareholders, who have historically done little to help the band's legacy or branding/merchandising/social media, etc.

This isn't some monolith corporation buying a mom-and-pop outfit. This is one corporation buying a controlling interest in another, with plans to *improve* the brand so that all parties (let's remember BRI members are still minority shareholders) reap the benefits.

Now they simply have a company who knows how to do this stuff who can make *decisions* about this stuff, and can do so *without* 60 years of politics/backbiting/disgruntled feelings, etc. informing those decisions.

Yeah, that's true. It's just difficult to know when to be optimistic in the Beach Boys world. I'm neutrally interested to see how it plays out.

My biggest concern is what it could mean for archival releases. As Howie once said here, the vault is the future. I think he's absolutely right. But it couldn't really be worse than the way it's already been handled, could it? Those 2018 releases had essentially zero promotion, the 2019 EP had artwork that looked like it was done in PowerPoint. Then again, that 'Live in 1970' thing literally includes clips from YouTube adverts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:27:54 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 08:32:22 AM »

Quote from: Mike Love
There can be a musical on Broadway, things that we haven’t done yet

There has been at least one failed Broadway musical hasn't there? Around 2005 I think.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 08:34:59 AM »

Yeah, that's true. It's just difficult to know when to be optimistic in the Beach Boys world. I'm neutrally interested to see how it plays out.

My biggest concern is what it could mean for archival releases. As Howie once said here, the vault is the future. I think he's absolutely right. But it couldn't really be worse than the way it's already been handled, could it? Those 2018 releases had essentially zero promotion, the 2019 EP had artwork that looked like it was done in PowerPoint. Then again, that 'Live in 1970' thing literally includes clips from YouTube adverts.

From everything I've been hearing about this situation in recent months, it's a good thing. I think the appropriate folks are in place to let Iconic know (and I think they *already* knew/know) that the archives are a huge part of the future plan.

Don't let talk of t-shirts and other merchandise be discouraging. That's all part of the plan too I'm sure, but all that stuff isn't a bad thing. Beach Boys *merchandise* has been almost *non-existent* outside of stuff being sold at concerts. I just bought a Beach Boys "1983 Tour" t-shirt from Target for $12.99. That kind of stuff isn't the be-all or end-all, but it's part of getting the band out there to people under the age of 50. If they can get a "Smile" and "Pet Sounds" shirt into Hot Topic, that's not a bad thing.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 08:36:58 AM »

Fascinating. And i'd like to think this is the beginning of a very good thing, which the FF box will hopefully be the tip of the iceberg for.

Also, this particular quote does its very best to spread out vague blame to "members", as opposed to more realistically pointing blame more at Mike for the brand's fall from Mount Rushmore. Not completely Mike's fault by any stretch, but I think he is more responsible than anyone else in the band.

"Azoff blames decades of friction and division among members of the group for their fall from rock’s Mount Rushmore."

Anyway , let's hope Irving Azoff can help rebuild the brand, maybe he can be a modern-day Jack Rieley but with greater 21st century business smarts. I'm trying to be helpful, at least this is somebody who's talking about the brand being undervalued, and Justyn alluding to the potential for the deeper material to gain more widespread recognition.

To have a team of smart people be behind a concerted effort that can only be a positive thing, one would hope. After Mike repeatedly brought the brand down to its lowest point ever during 2020, the only place to go is up.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 08:37:15 AM »

Quote from: Mike Love
There can be a musical on Broadway, things that we haven’t done yet

There has been at least one failed Broadway musical hasn't there? Around 2005 I think.

Correct. I'm sure Iconic is in a better position to be more successful with that type of thing now if they attempted it, although I don't think anything to do specifically with Broadway shows is likely to materialize any time soon given the shutdown on Broadway. I also don't think BB music is necessarily the best fit for the type of pop/rock music adaptations seen on Broadway.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 08:41:13 AM »

Fascinating. And i'd like to think this is the beginning of a very good thing, which the FF box will hopefully be the tip of the iceberg for.

Also, this particular quote does its very best to spread out vague blame to "members", as opposed to more realistically pointing blame more at Mike for the brand's fall from Mount Rushmore. Not completely Mike's fault by any stretch, but I think he is more responsible than anyone else in the band.

"Azoff blames decades of friction and division among members of the group for their fall from rock’s Mount Rushmore."

Anyway , let's hope Irving Azoff can help rebuild the brand, maybe he can be a modern-day Jack Rieley but with greater 21st century business smarts. I'm trying to be helpful, at least this is somebody who's talking about the brand being undervalued, and Justyn alluding to the potential for the deeper material to gain more widespread recognition.

To have a team of smart people be behind a concerted effort that can only be a positive thing, one would hope. After Mike repeatedly brought the brand down to its lowest point ever during 2020, the only place to go is up.

If I had to guess, the further Azoff/Iconic explored/investigated the areas that BRI *hasn't* been exploiting *at all*, their minds were probably blown.

The Beach Boys have been running almost entire off of back catalog sales of hits compilations, and touring revenue. As I've previously mentioned, merchandising has been *minimal*.

If they can get a good archival program running continuously, I also have no problem with Iconic negotiation the rights for some Beach Boys Funko Pops or whatever, too.

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 08:46:55 AM »

So, the odds of Drip Drop being released uncensored were previously 0%. Where are we at now? -5%? Jumping up to positive 2-3%?
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 08:50:05 AM »

No question that The Beach Boys are worthy of and have the assets to mount a serious image revitalization campaign but I do wonder what kind of turnaround time they're envisioning for attaining the everyman's "Mount Rushmore" level alluded to in the article. Does pop culture need more time to change attitudes for the better toward a legacy act than a newer one coming off a sophomore slump?

What kind of new merchandising approaches might this management try? A lot of acts have added a garnish to their prestige with career spanning vinyl boxed sets in recent years. While this wouldn't necessarily get their music into new ears, the existence of such a product might at least help position them upward in a way that a standalone copies of Pet Sounds or Sounds of Summer wouldn't. I'm sure this has been considered, but even when subtracting the what to do with SIP and S&S issue, that would be such a cost prohibitive project. How low could the wholesale price possibly be?

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx