gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680719 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:58:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys bought  (Read 27754 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2021, 12:47:23 PM »

Technically, Linda R. does have some songwriting credits. Not sure if any of those songs were hits per se, but a few of them were on hit albums.

Obviously, though, Linda's main "cut" is as a recording artist, not as a songwriter/publisher.

As I understand it, the bulk of Linda's recorded catalog is owned by Universal Music (Capitol) and Warner Music (Asylum/Elektra).  Those labels pay her mechanical royalties (per CD/LP/whatever unit sold) & performance royalties (whenever her recordings are played on radio, etc.), plus synchro (for use of her recordings in commercials, etc.). Those royalties would be governed by contract between Linda R. and the labels.

I'm certainly not privy to the terms of Linda's deal with Iconic, but it's possible that she has assigned her interest in her deals with Universal and Warner to Iconic.  Why would she do that?  Well, there's likely cash up front.   Not sure if Linda's deal is like the BBs' wherein they didn't sell completely but rather are retaining a stake in the potential upside, but that could come into play as well.    The idea (hope) is that getting, say, 49% of what Azoff can generate is going to be more than the 100% of what they can generate without his help.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2021, 07:04:00 AM »

Paul Simon just closed the deal to sell his catalog to Sony: https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/paul-simon-catalog-sale-sony-music-publishing-1149800/

That catalog sale is a blockbuster...in recent years I've noticed an increased interest (and presence) in Paul's music, especially Simon & Garfunkel, among younger fans.

It seems like the new version of the old record label "bidding war" is these investment/management groups trying to woo songwriters into selling their catalog. There are even other players in the game besides the Azoff group and Sony who are the big ones making the headlines.

Of course I still don't understand what is being bought or sold in the Linda Rondstadt deal since she didn't write the majority of songs she had hits with, but anyway  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »

Paul Simon just closed the deal to sell his catalog to Sony: https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/news/paul-simon-catalog-sale-sony-music-publishing-1149800/

That catalog sale is a blockbuster...in recent years I've noticed an increased interest (and presence) in Paul's music, especially Simon & Garfunkel, among younger fans.

It seems like the new version of the old record label "bidding war" is these investment/management groups trying to woo songwriters into selling their catalog. There are even other players in the game besides the Azoff group and Sony who are the big ones making the headlines.

Of course I still don't understand what is being bought or sold in the Linda Rondstadt deal since she didn't write the majority of songs she had hits with, but anyway  Grin

It seems like Rondstadt is essentially selling her own likeness rights/royalties, etc. The new rights holder essentially *becomes* Rondstadt for the purposes of signing off on things, collecting royalties, etc. I would guess in some of these deals the seller still retains some small percentage stake to ensure continued income, etc.

But I think the Rondstadt deal is the equivalent to what her estate would do if she were deceased; they're just doing it while she's still alive. In that way, it's similar to a portion of the BB deal.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2021, 11:29:55 AM »

It seems like Rondstadt is essentially selling her own likeness rights/royalties, etc. The new rights holder essentially *becomes* Rondstadt for the purposes of signing off on things, collecting royalties, etc. I would guess in some of these deals the seller still retains some small percentage stake to ensure continued income, etc.

But I think the Rondstadt deal is the equivalent to what her estate would do if she were deceased; they're just doing it while she's still alive. In that way, it's similar to a portion of the BB deal.

I think that you've nailed it.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2021, 01:52:46 PM »

Right, and asking again what I did on the previous page, how does one quantify such a thing as image/likeness or persona? That's where it gets kind of weird to be honest. With the other deals, BB's, Simon, Dylan, etc, you have a marketable commodity in the catalog of proven hit songs which can be bought and sold, and also projected as to earning potential in the future. But sh*t, how much is the *notion* of an artist actually worth and how can it be valued? And will that artist have veto power so he or she doesn't end up as a classic image of themself on a poster selling Whoppers for Burger King?

Of course there is a lot of inside baseball and reams of legal documents the public can never see with these deals, but if more artists are selling in the way Linda sold, I can't fathom how a valuation would be made on someone's likeness.

And in Linda's case, I believe her biggest hits were written by other writers, so is there a provision in the contract and deal where those writers have a say in how the song is used too?

Again, I'm envisioning a hypothetical where the chorus of Linda's hit "You're No Good" gets used in a political ad to bash an opponent - right? - and someone in the ownership chain of that song who isn't included in Linda's deal says they don't want their song used in that way. I'm sure there are provisions, but still worth considering.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:55:42 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2021, 07:00:55 PM »

Azoff and Co are very busy sending cease and desists to various Beach Boys fan communities across the Internet for copyright infringement

Careful what you post here folks.. they are watching

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2021, 07:54:59 PM »

Except the one that ostensibly went out to the Beach Boys Discord board was, in fact, an April Fools' hoax...

The problem is that the BB's history of litigiousness and, well, "discord" is so well established that just about any rumor of this type is going to be accepted at face value.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2021, 08:18:35 PM »

Just found out that was a joke...

They did get my YouTube channel suspended today.. but brother records are bad for that too

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2021, 12:05:02 AM »

Right, and asking again what I did on the previous page, how does one quantify such a thing as image/likeness or persona? That's where it gets kind of weird to be honest. With the other deals, BB's, Simon, Dylan, etc, you have a marketable commodity in the catalog of proven hit songs which can be bought and sold, and also projected as to earning potential in the future. But sh*t, how much is the *notion* of an artist actually worth and how can it be valued? And will that artist have veto power so he or she doesn't end up as a classic image of themself on a poster selling Whoppers for Burger King?

Of course there is a lot of inside baseball and reams of legal documents the public can never see with these deals, but if more artists are selling in the way Linda sold, I can't fathom how a valuation would be made on someone's likeness.

And in Linda's case, I believe her biggest hits were written by other writers, so is there a provision in the contract and deal where those writers have a say in how the song is used too?

Again, I'm envisioning a hypothetical where the chorus of Linda's hit "You're No Good" gets used in a political ad to bash an opponent - right? - and someone in the ownership chain of that song who isn't included in Linda's deal says they don't want their song used in that way. I'm sure there are provisions, but still worth considering.

I think the Burger King Whopper example is probably exactly it. I would tend to think of it as an artist being a “brand” at this point. Maybe we’ll see Linda Rondstadt headbands at Target ?

In this age where making money in music is not much about music anymore, these icons are probably projected to be the biggest moneymakers of all. The music industry is getting weird. Artists can’t tour, they haven’t been able to sell physical media in large numbers for awhile now. If you look at The Beatles or Lennon, their teams have been doing this stuff for a long time. Yellow Submarine toys, etc ...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:06:05 AM by DonnyL » Logged

as1972
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2021, 05:46:49 AM »

If you look at The Beatles or Lennon, their teams have been doing this stuff for a long time. Yellow Submarine toys, etc ...

Already got some good ideas.

• A bean-bag chair themed around mid-70s Brian.
  • Al Jardine circa 1972 novelty beard.
  • Pet Sounds branded pianoguitar
  • Given that it's legal now in a good few states, Mrs O'Leary's Cow branded Cannabis.
  • A plain beige MIU branded floormat for practising TM

Frankly the fact that I haven't been hired yet astounds me
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 05:48:33 AM by as1972 » Logged

Trying to figure out which of my organs I could sell for outtakes and live.
Greg Parry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »

• Given that it's legal now in a good few states, Mrs O'Leary's Cow branded Cannabis.

Given the state of some smokers I know, I think a better brand name would be Vegetables
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2021, 01:20:32 AM »

Given the state of some smokers I know, I think a better brand name would be Vegetables

👍   

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏. Bravo!
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2021, 01:01:59 PM »

I found this T-Shirt at a Target store near Pittsburgh, PA. It was in the young men's section along with the Beatles and Stones.

It's also available on the Target website.

Yes, I got one! Interesting 1983 being the year Dennis passed.

Very generic. Maybe someone knows it this is an authentic copy of the 1983 tour shirt? I would have preferred a "Help me Rhonda" T shirt or anything from the 1970's. Anyway, hopefully we'll see more merchandise in the future. The back inside reads copyright Brother Records 2021.

https://www.target.com/p/men-s-the-beach-boys-short-sleeve-crewneck-t-shirt-white/-/A-80825114?preselect=80740296#lnk=sametab

Well, a good start anyway. I've never seen a Beach Boys shirt in Target or Walmart. If you're out and about stop in and buy the shirt. The only way we'll see more is if the fans buy the product. 100% cotton and only $12.99.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »

I don't know if this was posted elsewhere on the board.
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2021, 06:51:26 PM »

So I see that this tour shirt can be found around the internet. Available at a wide variety of sellers and prices. It's just nice to walk in to a Target and see a Beach Boys shirt available with the other Rock icons T-shirts.

I thought the surfer image was a bit "generic" but the more I see it the more I like it. 1983 was the last time they were all together. I like to think of it as a tribute to Dennis. Hopefully we'll see more like this in the brick and mortar stores.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2021, 07:24:13 PM »

A few months ago I found the same 1983 Beach Boys tour shirt at a Target store in Valdosta, Georgia. The last vestige of Dennis, as well as the color scheme and 1983 coincidentally being the year of my birth, made it an essential purchase. You can't beat the price, either. Appreciate your post, SloopJohnnyB.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2021, 01:59:13 AM »

I for one can't bear to buy or wear anything with this modern logo, which was just starting to appear at around that time. Just too slick for me and too much association with ML's hats. When was the first use of that font, around the time of Knebworth '80?

It is great that they're selling any BB clothing at the brick and mortar stores, and '83 was a long time ago. Maybe I'll make an exception in this case.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:00:48 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2021, 05:49:41 AM »

I for one can't bear to buy or wear anything with this modern logo, which was just starting to appear at around that time. Just too slick for me and too much association with ML's hats. When was the first use of that font, around the time of Knebworth '80?

It is great that they're selling any BB clothing at the brick and mortar stores, and '83 was a long time ago. Maybe I'll make an exception in this case.

I think that logo was first seen on the 15 Big Ones album cover.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2021, 07:13:35 AM »

"I think that logo was first seen on the 15 Big Ones album cover."

Correct. The logo was designed by Dean Torrence and first appeared on the 15 Big Ones LP and 1976 tour program.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2021, 10:42:14 AM »

As others have pointed out, the logo started with Torrence's design for the "15 Big Ones" album in 1976.

I don't know how much I love the logo, but it *is* their logo, it's the only recognizable one, and in my mind it pre-dates having to see Mike's mug underneath it via a baseball cap, so I can't not have some sort of soft spot for it.  It's the closest they have to the drop-T Beatles logo or the Rolling Stones tongue thing or the The Who's target-looking logo, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2021, 11:42:55 AM »

I think that Capitol's "THE BEACH BOYS"  lettering from the Smile cover would be better suited as their de facto logo.   It has been used elsewhere occasionally, e.g. on the Good Vibrations/H&V 78 that came out for Record Store Day a decade ago.  Its haphazard style has the mid-60s, California beach-culture vibe that is more associated with the group's heyday than the 15 Big Ones logo's sort of '50s Happy Days-retro that was popular in the '70s but actually harkens to an era that pre-dates the Beach Boys' glory days.

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2021, 01:33:38 PM »

quote author=jeremylr link=topic=27587.msg671466#msg671466 date=1619576653]
A few months ago I found the same 1983 Beach Boys tour shirt at a Target store in Valdosta, Georgia. The last vestige of Dennis, as well as the color scheme and 1983 coincidentally being the year of my birth, made it an essential purchase. You can't beat the price, either. Appreciate your post, SloopJohnnyB.
[/quote]

Thanks!

This tour shirt was also licensed out to high end stores like Norstroms

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/daydreamer-beach-boys-1983-tour-rolled-weekend-graphic-tee/5716380?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FAll%20Results&color=680

Serious money for this one:

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/madeworn-beach-boys-last-horizon-unisex-graphic-tee/5623205?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FAll%20Results&color=950

Nice description.  Cheesy :

DETAILS & CARE
'America's band' brings fun, fun, fun to a vintage-inspired concert T-shirt that's cut, sewn and distressed by hand in the USA for a truly one-of-a-kind piece. Don't worry, baby, this T-shirt is perfect for surfer dudes, California girls and anyone wanting to add some music to their day.

I thought the surfer was generic but I like Dean's logo. Born in '62 I was introduced to the Beach Boys through the Endless Summer/Spirit of America LP's. I began buying the Warner Brothers two-fers lp's which introduced me to albums like Wild Honey. 15 Big Ones came out and yes, that's where the logo started.  It wasn't used on the other late 70's lps. It showed up again on the "Keepin' the Summer Alive" album cover in 1980.

Besides "Appeal to the Great Spirit" , Dean's logo works well. Reminds me of the mid-late 1970's and early 1980's when they were all still together. As stated above,  it is their logo.

I hope we see more merchandise.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:36:24 PM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2021, 11:26:17 PM »

I think that Capitol's "THE BEACH BOYS"  lettering from the Smile cover would be better suited as their de facto logo.   It has been used elsewhere occasionally, e.g. on the Good Vibrations/H&V 78 that came out for Record Store Day a decade ago.  Its haphazard style has the mid-60s, California beach-culture vibe that is more associated with the group's heyday than the 15 Big Ones logo's sort of '50s Happy Days-retro that was popular in the '70s but actually harkens to an era that pre-dates the Beach Boys' glory days.

Dean's logo definetly is the de-facto logo.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx