gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:17:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which Beach Boys songs/albums are popular with the younger hipster crowd?  (Read 1475 times)
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2021, 08:47:19 PM »

Yes, I know 'younger hipster' is a silly term, but maybe it conveys what's it's supposed to well enough. Teens to thirty-somethings who are into indie, alt, outsider, etc. music.

Which Beach Boys songs/albums are popular with this group? In general, since no demographic is monolithic.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:01:10 AM by thr33 » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 10:26:04 PM »

I don't feel the Beach Boys are particularly hip with younger people right now. When it comes to older pop/rock stuff they seem to favor Prince, Steely Dan, or the Grateful Dead.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 11:51:49 PM »

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and 67-73 BB always has had an audience with younger, hipper record nerds.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 06:19:04 AM »

All I Wanna Do has gotten some mileage on the hipster hype machine and I've seen it credited as the first song in the "chillwave" genre. I see where they're coming from but it seems like a questionable assessment cause that "microgenre" supposedly came around almost 40 years after the fact. Elsewhere I heard that song (and Celebrate The News) repeatedly played over the PA between sets at the my Bloody Valentine/Le Volume Courbe/Wounded Knees show in NYC 2008, so that seemed like a pretty big endorsement from a leader in an older scene under the bigger indie umbrella.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 07:15:24 AM by Occasional grilled cheese » Logged

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
thr33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 06:59:19 AM »

At the risk of validating a sterotype I'll say my last thoughts here are that we could really do without throwing around generational labels like m*******al and z*****r. These are terms of disparagement seldom used in any context outside of condescending or marketing to young people. I'm not saying any offense was meant but I'm sick of people acting like slurs are ok if they're towards age groups.
Apologies, no offense was intended. I myself am 34 so I am technically from the older of those two generations. I'm not really as offended by the term, but I understand that some may be so I'll edit the post (both here and on the subreddit, where I cross-posted).
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 07:14:40 AM »

At the risk of validating a sterotype I'll say my last thoughts here are that we could really do without throwing around generational labels like m*******al and z*****r. These are terms of disparagement seldom used in any context outside of condescending or marketing to young people. I'm not saying any offense was meant but I'm sick of people acting like slurs are ok if they're towards age groups.
Apologies, no offense was intended. I myself am 34 so I am technically from the older of those two generations. I'm not really as offended by the term, but I understand that some may be so I'll edit the post (both here and on the subreddit, where I cross-posted).

I appreciate the gesture thr33. Honestly if i had already eaten a full breakfast I probably wouldn't have been moved to say anything about it.

To bring it back on topic, the past ten years or so have been pretty good for attracting a new, younger audience to the Beach Boys catalog, due in no small part to the Smile Sessions release and the continued championing of it by tastemakers. One thing i've noticed though is that Smile has become something of an entry point instead of a New Game Plus for alot of fans, and I've even seen at some people's houses and apartments where that's the only Beach Boys album in their collection (including hit repackages). Haven't noticed much of a resurgence elsewhere in the catalog but I'll admit that my thumb slipped from the pulse of youth culture at some point the past few years.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
stinkynimrod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 03:38:27 PM »

My gateway was definitely Wild Honey at about age 23 or 24. I liked the brevity and instant re-playability. Lot of newer rap/R&B/soul/indie/garage artists going back to that 23 minute album format, I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly why but I have some ideas. Soon latched onto Smiley Smile, Friends, 20/20, Sunflower Surf's Up, Love You, and the 73 In Concert big time. I had already heard Pet Sounds plenty before but it had never smacked me over the head. Since then I've absorbed all the surfin albums, LOVE Today, the Smile Sessions, and a little bit of the post Love You material. A lot of my friends also really love Wild Honey and Love You because they're GOOFY and fun. The production on Love You especially can be heard in tons of post 00s indie/synth sorta stuff. Most of those same friends aren't nearly as interested in exploring whole discographies as I am but they're at least aware that the Beach Boys have a lot more going on than even their parents probably know. There's almost a 'spread the gospel' aura surrounding them once you KNOW and then you feel compelled to let others know too and attempt to explain the convoluted history in digestible chunks. I can say for certain that people my age that play in bands and are into music as more than a hobby etc are much more likely to latch onto BB topics like Love You, Manson, My Solution, the sound quality + production techniques of Sunflower, and then hilariously bad stuff like the Nascar album than they are the surfing years and the flag-saluting perpetual oldies touring machine.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 06:03:14 PM »

I'd add Pacific Ocean Blue and Bambu. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx