gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:36:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Music Presents Add Some Music  (Read 4545 times)
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2021, 07:37:45 PM »

Stumbled upon this today whilst searching for infos on the 70's pseudo-supergroup/musical collective, and the various inter-related recordings. Don't know if I've seen any discussion here or elsewhere, hopefully I am posting this in the right place...

https://www.propermusic.com/ovcd421-california-music-presents-add-some-music.html

I have copied and pasted this text from the description after the link (the original source text ends abruptly in the middle of the word "release"):
"In March 2020, while focusing on the 50th anniversary of The Beach Boys' Sunflower album, I was moved by the poignancy of the message and lyrics of the album's "Add Some Music To Your Day". Inspired by this, I thought that combining members of The Beach Boys with the next generations of voices (the children of The Beach Boys) was the perfect way to bring attention to a charity during these challenging times. As 2020 concluded, I became painfully aware of the number of people struggling to feed their families, so I chose Feeding America as the charity recipient."- David Beard, editor & publisher of Endless Summer Quarterly, The Beach Boys publication of record."Music, when you're alone, is like a companion for your lonely soul".these lyrics are from the 1970 Beach Boys composition "Add Some Music To Your Day" and they are the inspiration for the latest Omnivore Recordings release California Music Presents Add Some Music. Founded by Beach Boys historian and documentarian David Beard, California Music Presents Add Some Music is an uplifting collection of recordings celebrating all that is good about one of California's greatest exports.music! In 2020, David Beard re-recorded the classic 1970 Beach Boys song "Add Some Music To Your Day" (written by Brian Wilson, Mike Love and Joe Knott) with Beach Boys members Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks and the children of The Beach Boys including Carnie and Wendy Wilson (Brian Wilson's daughters), Christian, Hayleigh & Ambha Love (Mike Love's children) and Matt Jardine (son of founding Beach Boys member Al Jardine). Their brilliant new rendering of "Add Some Music To Your Day" was arranged and produced by Rob Bonfiglio (member of the Brian Wilson Band and husband to Carnie Wilson). Filling out this ten track collection are recordings by Mike Love, David Marks, longtime Beach Boys associate, Jeffrey Foskett as well as new music from Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and Rob Bonfiglio. A portion of the proceeds of this relea

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »

You can pre-order this at Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08W3K8NTC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 08:32:44 AM »

Apologies if this was already known to folks; this release was certainly news to me, nor have I seen discussion of it here or around the internets. I neglected to copy/paste a tracklist included with the proper music link (I did not see one on the amazon page as of today but I only glanced). I'm not sure what to make of three different versions of the title cut. Looks to be remakes a-plenty, though. I'm still interested, regardless.

1. Add Some Music To Your Day
2. Ram Raj
3. Jenny Clover
4. She Believes In Love Again
5. Long Promised Road
6. Friends
7. Get Together
8. Golden State
9. Add Some Music To Your Day
10. Add Some Music To Your Day
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 10:19:31 AM »

Really looking forward to this AND Bruce resurrects an old band name (How original  LOL)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 12:51:59 PM »

Apologies if this was already known to folks; this release was certainly news to me, nor have I seen discussion of it here or around the internets. I neglected to copy/paste a tracklist included with the proper music link (I did not see one on the amazon page as of today but I only glanced). I'm not sure what to make of three different versions of the title cut. Looks to be remakes a-plenty, though. I'm still interested, regardless.

We knew about the title track (or one of them at least  Grin), but I believe the rest is new.

My best guesses, plus some process of elimination.

1. Add Some Music To Your Day - Mike, Al, Bruce, David Marks, Carnie and Wendy Wilson
2. Ram Raj - Mike (from UTL; maybe if we’re lucky it will be without AutoTune?)
3. Jenny Clover - Al (is it the same mix as the single, or has Al’s indecisiveness* graced us once again?)
4. She Believes In Love Again - Bruce (wasn’t there a rumor he re-recorded this for Songs from Here & Back or for a 2007 EP?)
5. Long Promised Road - David Marks?
6. Friends - Matt Jardine or Jeff Foskett?
7. Get Together
8. Golden State - David Marks or Jeff Foskett?
9. Add Some Music To Your Day - vocals only?
10. Add Some Music To Your Day - original version? or backing track only?

*I’m just as bad, though, so I shouldn’t be talking - or typing.

Really looking forward to this AND Bruce resurrects an old band name (How original  LOL)

Agreed. Couldn’t they have just called it Add Some Music?

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:54:22 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 01:03:52 PM »

4. She Believes In Love Again - Bruce (wasn’t there a rumor he re-recorded this for Songs from Here & Back or for a 2007 EP?)

It's on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSxbOAwWqQ

It was released on a sampler in 2007: Friday Music 2007 Sampler

I doubt it's a 2007 recording. Personally I'd say it's definitely pre-BB85, maybe late 70s.

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 01:34:42 PM »

Mr. Beard secured the trademark for “California Music” back in October.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:37:02 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 01:39:37 PM »

I've pre-ordered -- wonder if this will come out before Feel Flows.

7. Get Together

"Get Together" is most likely Foskett, as he has recorded a version of this song. I think "Golden State" may be a Rob Bonfiglio track.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 01:46:24 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 10:15:03 PM »

It's on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSxbOAwWqQ

It was released on a sampler in 2007: Friday Music 2007 Sampler

I doubt it's a 2007 recording. Personally I'd say it's definitely pre-BB85, maybe late 70s.

I've pre-ordered -- wonder if this will come out before Feel Flows.

7. Get Together

"Get Together" is most likely Foskett, as he has recorded a version of this song. I think "Golden State" may be a Rob Bonfiglio track.

I knew I shouldn’t have guessed. Thanks BeachBoysCovers and Emdeeh for the info/corrections. I didn’t think that it would be the famous “Get Together,” more likely an original with the same title, but I am happy to be proven wrong.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »

Sorry to double-post, but we have an update now on some of the performers:

1. Add Some Music To Your Day - Mike, Al, Bruce, David Marks, Carnie and Wendy Wilson, Matt Jardine, etc.
2. Ram Raj - Mike (from UTL; maybe if we’re lucky, it will be without AutoTune?)
3. Jenny Clover - Al (is it the same mix as the single?)
4. She Believes In Love Again - Bruce
5. Long Promised Road - David Marks
6. Friends - "by the band member's kids," according to the Rolling Stone article.  Maybe a 2012 live version from California Saga?  It's probably recently recorded, though.
7. Get Together - Jeff Foskett
8. Golden State - Rob Bonfiglio?
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 08:12:41 PM »

Stumbled upon this today whilst searching for infos on the 70's pseudo-supergroup/musical collective, and the various inter-related recordings. Don't know if I've seen any discussion here or elsewhere, hopefully I am posting this in the right place...

https://www.propermusic.com/ovcd421-california-music-presents-add-some-music.html

I have copied and pasted this text from the description after the link (the original source text ends abruptly in the middle of the word "release"):
"In March 2020, while focusing on the 50th anniversary of The Beach Boys' Sunflower album, I was moved by the poignancy of the message and lyrics of the album's "Add Some Music To Your Day". Inspired by this, I thought that combining members of The Beach Boys with the next generations of voices (the children of The Beach Boys) was the perfect way to bring attention to a charity during these challenging times. As 2020 concluded, I became painfully aware of the number of people struggling to feed their families, so I chose Feeding America as the charity recipient."- David Beard, editor & publisher of Endless Summer Quarterly, The Beach Boys publication of record."Music, when you're alone, is like a companion for your lonely soul".these lyrics are from the 1970 Beach Boys composition "Add Some Music To Your Day" and they are the inspiration for the latest Omnivore Recordings release California Music Presents Add Some Music. Founded by Beach Boys historian and documentarian David Beard, California Music Presents Add Some Music is an uplifting collection of recordings celebrating all that is good about one of California's greatest exports.music! In 2020, David Beard re-recorded the classic 1970 Beach Boys song "Add Some Music To Your Day" (written by Brian Wilson, Mike Love and Joe Knott) with Beach Boys members Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks and the children of The Beach Boys including Carnie and Wendy Wilson (Brian Wilson's daughters), Christian, Hayleigh & Ambha Love (Mike Love's children) and Matt Jardine (son of founding Beach Boys member Al Jardine). Their brilliant new rendering of "Add Some Music To Your Day" was arranged and produced by Rob Bonfiglio (member of the Brian Wilson Band and husband to Carnie Wilson). Filling out this ten track collection are recordings by Mike Love, David Marks, longtime Beach Boys associate, Jeffrey Foskett as well as new music from Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and Rob Bonfiglio. A portion of the proceeds of this relea

A couple of people were not listed in the above description of the personnel involved with the new recording of Add Some Music to Your Day: Carl Wilson's son Justyn Wilson and Brian Wilson's granddaughter Lola Bonfiglio on background vocals. Also, you can find the Add Some Music video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90JFsfj4LRU&feature=emb_logo
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 08:17:59 PM by patsy6 » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 04:48:27 AM »

Profiting off the good name of the Bruce and Terry venture

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 08:58:29 AM »

Any explanation as to Brian's absence?
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »

RubberSoul13,

as for Brian's absence, I assume he probably just passed on the seemingly (mostly) re-records/re-releases album, and wanted to focus his attention elsewhere.
ExUpstairsCaptain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 07:26:21 AM »

We knew about the title track (or one of them at least  Grin), but I believe the rest is new.

My best guesses, plus some process of elimination.

1. Add Some Music To Your Day - Mike, Al, Bruce, David Marks, Carnie and Wendy Wilson
2. Ram Raj - Mike (from UTL; maybe if we’re lucky it will be without AutoTune?)
3. Jenny Clover - Al (is it the same mix as the single, or has Al’s indecisiveness* graced us once again?)
5. Long Promised Road - David Marks?
6. Friends - Matt Jardine or Jeff Foskett?
7. Get Together

*I’m just as bad, though, so I shouldn’t be talking - or typing.

Really looking forward to this AND Bruce resurrects an old band name (How original  LOL)

Agreed. Couldn’t they have just called it Add Some Music?

At one point, Bruce talked about "She Believes" appearing on TWGMTR, so it could be at least partially sourced from 2011/2.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 07:28:05 AM »

RubberSoul13,

as for Brian's absence, I assume he probably just passed on the seemingly (mostly) re-records/re-releases album, and wanted to focus his attention elsewhere.

Where? I wish it were other projects, but I haven't heard anything to indicate he's working at all. The only way I'll buy an album of re-records is with Brian's involvement.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 07:52:53 AM »

Omnivore’s “trailer” for the Add Some Music release: https://youtu.be/ykgyoWEeZ84

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2021, 09:51:51 AM »

New interview with David Beard & Rob Bonfiglio posted on youtube yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jpEohtNPRs
Interesting discussion on the upcoming 'California Music Presents California Music' CD from a couple of the key behind-the-scenes players.
Also confirmation that Al's "Jenny Clover" appears in an ALTERNATE MIX featuring string overdubs.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx