gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:56:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Carl, 23 years ago today  (Read 3160 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »

Still so very missed ❤❤❤

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 05:33:37 PM »

Indeed!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 05:05:46 AM »

Yes, Carl is still missed very much. R. I. P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtVCcmAh96M

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »

From Mike, on FB:

Mike Love
February 6 at 8:24 PM  ·
It’s so hard to believe my cousin by blood, but brother in music, Carl, has been gone so long.  I miss his spirit, his energy, his perfectionism, his voice, I just miss my cousin. We are all blessed to have you in our lives and your voice to carry us forward inspiring hope joy & Love.
Rest in Song Cous, I’ll Love you forever more
Mike
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 07:33:24 PM »

From Mike, on FB:

Mike Love
February 6 at 8:24 PM  ·
It’s so hard to believe my cousin by blood, but brother in music, Carl, has been gone so long.  I miss his spirit, his energy, his perfectionism, his voice, I just miss my cousin. We are all blessed to have you in our lives and your voice to carry us forward inspiring hope joy & Love.
Rest in Song Cous, I’ll Love you forever more
Mike
Nice words from Mike.
It still boggles my mind that Carl passed on so young. Of all the Wilsons, he seemed to be the least damaged by drugs.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 07:44:24 PM »

I remember reading that he was the biggest smoker in the band. I wonder if that is true

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 10:53:29 PM »

I recall reading he started at 14-ish;at some point both him and Brian were up to like 4-5 packs a day (which boggles my mind).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 05:30:21 AM »

From Al, on FB:

Al Jardine
February 6 at 10:00 AM  ·
Thinking of Carl today on the day he left this world in 1998.  Carl was a great friend, had a big heart and was so extremely generous.  I feel blessed to have known him for as long as I did and will forever feel his voice and passion in the music ❤️🎶🕯️
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 02:45:58 AM »

It's not very often that you can say that a person is a good person just by the way they look.
But Carl was probably one of them. He had that timid but angelic and benevolent smile. Probably never had a bad word to say about anybody (at least publicly), always cool, incredibly talented. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy... What a loss !
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »

Talking about Carl, I just saw this on youtube:

Carl Wilson on KISW, FM 100 in Seattle, part 1

Carl Wilson dropped in on KISW one night while the Beach Boys were recording at Kaye Smith studios in Seattle, November 1977. Thanks to Allnighter host Bob Cardenas for sharing this recording with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48aTKOYMllw

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 05:31:13 PM »

Thanks for that, Rocker - hopefully Part Two gets uploaded!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 12:20:31 AM »

I remember reading that he was the biggest smoker in the band. I wonder if that is true

As I understand it, that was certainly true in the '60s.  Al and Mike have both mentioned Carl being a very heavy smoker as a teen and young adult.  Despite his extreme smoking habits in middle age, Brian wasn't a smoker in his youth.  There was an anecdote from Judy Bowles about how unhappy Brian was with her smoking habit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:20:57 AM by juggler » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 09:47:30 AM »

Not Carl's best interview exactly, and since it was 1977, I'm thinking he may have been a bit out of it there.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 07:38:22 PM »

Not Carl's best interview exactly, and since it was 1977, I'm thinking he may have been a bit out of it there.
I should have known someone would say that. Yeah, Carl was f***ed up there, probably shooting smack right there in the studio.

Good grief. He sounds fine to me. Just relaxing, picking out some music for the dj to play. It wasn't a proper interview.  As you can hear at the starting of the clip, even the announcer on duty was surprised that Carl was dropping by that night.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 11:48:25 AM »

Another interview with Carl. Some harsh comments about the current Beach Boys (well, "harsh" by Carl ist still very diplomatic). An interesting interview.

Carl Wilson Interview - 1981 (Beach Boys), Interview by Dan Guilfoyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63CyQKdKMCo
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:55:47 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 05:09:00 PM »

Another interview with Carl. Some harsh comments about the current Beach Boys (well, "harsh" by Carl ist still very diplomatic). An interesting interview.

Carl Wilson Interview - 1981 (Beach Boys), Interview by Dan Guilfoyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63CyQKdKMCo

I love this interview. It was done in my hometown (and I missed Carl's solo show!). Dan Guilfoyle was a very popular DJ and an excellent interviewer. He's still with us, but retired now.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2021, 11:42:29 AM »

Thanks for that, Rocker - hopefully Part Two gets uploaded!

Carl Wilson on KISW Seattle, Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71n070Q9BWE

EDIT:

Didn't know Charley Lloyd worked with Bobby "Blue" Bland, but I just researched that after Carl mentioned it - and yes, got some great credits there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lloyd_%28jazz_musician%29
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:01:52 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 08:21:12 PM »

Carl sounds super mellow on part 2, and very quiet. He says he's going back to the hotel to go to bed afterwards, so he's probably tired. He makes some great (and surprising) choices of music to play here as well, including cuts from Karla Bonoff, Bruce Springsteen and Emmylou Harris. I was a big fan of Emmylou in 1977. It's nice to know Carl and I were on the same musical wavelength. Interestingly, he's rather dismissive of the tarmac incident.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 09:03:29 PM by patsy6 » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2021, 01:15:16 PM »

Carl sounds super mellow on part 2, and very quiet. He says he's going back to the hotel to go to bed afterwards, so he's probably tired. He makes some great (and surprising) choices of music to play here as well, including cuts from Karla Bonoff, Bruce Springsteen and Emmylou Harris. I was a big fan of Emmylou in 1977. It's nice to know Carl and I were on the same musical wavelength. Interestingly, he's rather dismissive of the tarmac incident.
Yeah, loved hearing what kind of stuff he was listening to at the time.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx