gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:09:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 favorite Beach Boys albums - a new Pray for Surf podcast  (Read 2110 times)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2018, 08:16:41 AM »

Hello all,

A lot of people are talking up their Top 10 picks for best Beach Boys albums--right here on this board and in publications including Paste and Mojo. Now Phil Miglioratti and I are leaping into the fray with a countdown of our respective picks and why in a new podcast on Phil's Pray for Surf site. And you might be surprised! Would love to hear your thoughts and see your choices, if you haven't already participated in the recent SSMB poll--or even if you have. I'll start off by revealing that my #10 pick is The Beach Boys Love You, and #9 is Sunflower.

And just because we can't just be so gushingly positive, we also vote on "which album or two from the catalog would you delete if you had to choose?"

You can listen here: https://prayforsurfblog.blogspot.com/2018/10/marks-and-phils-10-favorite-beach-boys.html

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »

And just because we can't just be so gushingly positive, we also vote on "which album or two from the catalog would you delete if you had to choose?"

I like all of their albums through '85 and generally am annoyed by how easily some fans dismiss certain songs, albums, or even eras of the group, but I can't really say I'd be missing much of anything if Still Cruisin', Summer In Paradise, and Stars and Stripes Vol. 1 never existed. Jumping straight from '85 to TWGMTR would certainly clean things up for me.

Edit: I meant album-wise. In this universe the "Rock n Roll to the Rescue", "California Dreamin'", and "Kokomo" singles would still exist.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:44:30 AM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 10:00:45 AM »

You hit on our two LP choices.  Smiley

I do like the version of "Caroline, No" on Stars & Stripes. Finally, the Boys sing harmonies on it.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »

#8: Surf's Up.

Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »

#7: Wild Honey

#6: Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)

Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 05:05:38 AM »

1. Smile Sessions
2. Pet Sounds
3. Friends
4. The Beach Boys Today!
5. Summer Days and Summer Nights
6. All Summer Long
7. Shut Down, Volume 2
8. Sunflower