gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:05:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem Child on CD  (Read 7939 times)
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2021, 02:23:47 PM »

I've still got my cassette version of "Problem Child" but cannot find it on CD to save my life. Does anyone know where this song is available on CD? BTW, I saw the cassette version on Ebay for 50 bucks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 03:03:05 PM »

There was a one-track promo CD single. I had it for a long time and eventually sold it because it's one of the worst songs in their catalog, and I never listened to it, and it's on a million fan-made compilations in pristine CD quality.

But yeah, a promo CD is out there.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 03:03:42 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 03:34:01 PM »

There was a one-track promo CD single. I had it for a long time and eventually sold it because it's one of the worst songs in their catalog, and I never listened to it, and it's on a million fan-made compilations in pristine CD quality.

But yeah, a promo CD is out there.

I don't think I realized until now that the song was solely written by Terry Melcher.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's the only song in the entire catalog of the band that Terry wrote on his own without any cowriters?

And secondly, it's probably the only instance in the entire catalog where an outside producer both completely wrote and produced a song for the band (the same guy, a one-man show for both sole writing and production credit).

I shouldn't like it, but the song remains a guilty pleasure for me because of Carl's lead vocal, plus the wordless group vocals that happen during the section where the lyrics are "first you'll be married, with kids after a while" ever so briefly sound like Classic 1960s Beach Boys,  much in the way there are some group vocals on Island Girl that surprisingly do, too.
The Old Ranger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 03:53:15 PM »

Guilty pleasure might not be a bad way to describe it. I just want it on CD before my tape messes up.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 04:05:25 PM »

Guilty pleasure might not be a bad way to describe it. I just want it on CD before my tape messes up.

The movie itself is also a guilty pleasure for me. As is the sequel too, which is definitely worse than the first.

I saw both of them in first run in the theater when I was a kid. Long before I was anything more than a casual fan of this band... in fact, despite having seen the film in the theater and most likely having seen it again once or twice on VHS in the years since, I had zero recollection that the beach boys were on the soundtrack or had anything to do with the film (let alone THE title track) until I deep dove into the band's catalog.

I wonder how rarely this song's the music video played on MTV back in the day. It must've been a very, very obscure track.  I can just see the dollar signs that Mike Love had in his eyes after Kokomo, and this must've been a big step down.

Although I suppose it could be argued that Make It Big was a bit of a minor hit, or at least has more of a place in pop-culture compared to the completely forgotten Problem Child song, in that I know a handful of people, namely women (who are not hardcore BBs fans) who are quite familiar with MIB and remember it lovingly because Troop Beverly Hills became more of a beloved nostalgia piece amongst people, especially girls of the late 80s, of a certain age group.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:06:51 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 05:08:12 PM »

I got that promo cd.

Jon G.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 07:04:24 PM »

I remember watching Problem Child on tv just so I could hear the Beach Boys song. It was buried in the closing credits. Same thing with Let's Go to Heaven In My Car in Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 08:37:55 PM »

I wonder how rarely this song's the music video played on MTV back in the day. It must've been a very, very obscure track.  I can just see the dollar signs that Mike Love had in his eyes after Kokomo, and this must've been a big step down.

There is a promotional interview/video footage with Mike and John Stamos where Stamos opines that this song could be as big as Kokomo - unsurprisingly, this didn't come to pass!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 08:41:10 PM by thetojo » Logged
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 08:40:17 PM »

I remember watching Problem Child on tv just so I could hear the Beach Boys song. It was buried in the closing credits. Same thing with Let's Go to Heaven In My Car in Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol.

I borrowed a vhs of The Telephone and watched it repeatedly to try to find where Happy Endings appears - it may have been at the end, but at the time I just could not hear it at all.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2021, 05:20:46 AM »

The video has its moments. Bruce takes a real beating in it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »

I borrowed a vhs of The Telephone and watched it repeatedly to try to find where Happy Endings appears - it may have been at the end, but at the time I just could not hear it at all.
I've seen that one often in the cheapo bins, but never been able to bring myself to buy it.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 08:49:33 PM »

Yeah, since posting this I found that the whole movie is on youtube - the beach boys/little richard song does indeed run during the closing credits.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 02:07:38 AM »

There's being a Beach Boys fan, and then there's being an "I MUST have Problem Child on CD" Beach Boys fan.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 05:00:03 AM »

I always liked this song. Carl is well...CARL! nowhere near the worst thing they've done IMO.

roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 06:20:22 AM »

I always liked this song. Carl is well...CARL! nowhere near the worst thing they've done IMO.

No snark intended, but what would you consider their worst? This is at the bottom of my pile, but I'm sure there are things I've missed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 06:51:16 AM »

I don't think there's any way to say that the song is like unequivocally the absolute single worst song they ever released or recorded.

But it's truly awful. The composition itself isn't horrible. It's not good, but it's average. A version with just the lead vocal and an acoustic guitar would be inoffensive.

But the arrangement, production, and mixing of this song is grating and annoying. All of that processed "nah, nah, nyah, nyah" backing vocal stuff sounds like it was purposely made to annoy.

I do think a strong case could be made it's the worst *sounding* production/mix of their career. The eventual "Summer in Paradise" album sound similarly processed and mixed. Very shrill and thin.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 07:09:46 AM »

Problem Child could've been a great prompt if the Beach Boys decided to put their name on a Choose Your Own Adventure book. A teenage Carl goes to the County Fair and visits the fortune teller's tent. In the crystal ball he sees himself 20 some-odd years later singing Problem Child with Mike, Al and these two other guys he doesn't know.

If the prospect of a long music career heartens and motivates you to woodshed on the guitar, turn to page 3

If the prospect of a long music career involving making songs like Problem Child without Brian and Dennis scares you into another career path, turn to page 7

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 12:04:23 PM »

No snark intended, but what would you consider their worst? This is at the bottom of my pile, but I'm sure there are things I've missed.

You obviously missed "Happy Birthday America" if "Problem Child" is on the bottom of your pile!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 02:21:13 PM »

Well, Summer of Love def the worst IMO. The song "Summer in Paradise" is absolutely dreadful too  (UK/US/Live all terrible - no polishing that turd  Grin )

I like 85 but some songs - California Calling, Passing Friend, I'm so Lonely - awful

Obviously solo stuff from Mike and Bruce in particular.

Let's see, some other stuff comes to mind...Lady Liberty, Happy Endings...I'll have to think more  Grin

oh yes and "Forever" with Stamos  Thud
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:26:36 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 02:25:39 PM »

na
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:26:17 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 03:35:55 PM »

I'm a happy owner (Ex owner I add) of a Problem Child Promo CD - I sold it a few years ago for something like £ 70 , SO which one of guys bought it  LOL

Oh, must add that i acquired a similar value for a PROMO CD of Jesse Boys version of Forever (4 Versions I recall)  Grin Evil
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 03:41:44 PM by Rob Dean » Logged
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2021, 05:49:13 PM »

You obviously missed "Happy Birthday America" if "Problem Child" is on the bottom of your pile!

I did, but this doesn't strike the nerves quite the same as Summer of Love or Problem Child.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »

I know it's hip to knock 80's era Beach Boys now - "f---- all that patriotism, apple pie, baseball, mom stuff!  I want something edgy! Something 'out there'!" I lived through that era, I was a young guy back then, and I was eager for each new release. When I heard Problem Child, I thought it would be a hit. I mean, what could go wrong? Song in a hit movie, Terry Melcher producing and writing, great vocal performance from Carl. The 80's production never bothered me. I was listening to 80's CHR and AOR radio, and that sound was all over the place. I knew the hippie/counterculture era Beach Boys were a thing of the past. I didn't have a problem with that. I didn't have a problem with the overall image. Al, for example, seemed to have taken a couple decades off his appearance once he cut his hair short again, and shaved off the beard. To me, they seemed healthier and happier than they had been in the post-Brian is Back years of the late 70's.
So yeah, I want Problem Child on vinyl, or compact disc, or dub plate....whatever.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »

I know it's hip to knock 80's era Beach Boys now - "f---- all that patriotism, apple pie, baseball, mom stuff!  I want something edgy! Something 'out there'!" I lived through that era, I was a young guy back then, and I was eager for each new release. When I heard Problem Child, I thought it would be a hit. I mean, what could go wrong? Song in a hit movie, Terry Melcher producing and writing, great vocal performance from Carl. The 80's production never bothered me. I was listening to 80's CHR and AOR radio, and that sound was all over the place. I knew the hippie/counterculture era Beach Boys were a thing of the past. I didn't have a problem with that. I didn't have a problem with the overall image. Al, for example, seemed to have taken a couple decades off his appearance once he cut his hair short again, and shaved off the beard. To me, they seemed healthier and happier than they had been in the post-Brian is Back years of the late 70's.
So yeah, I want Problem Child on vinyl, or compact disc, or dub plate....whatever.

Here it is on CD for the low price of $37.95:

https://www.musicstack.com/show.cgi?find=the+beach+boys&t=Problem+Child&label=&release_id=&barcode=&genre=&country=&seller_search=&price_min=&price_max=&media=&seller_country=&rate=&search=Search
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 04:56:29 AM »

Given someone in the US sent me the promo CD for free a couple of years ago, I feel quiet content. It's a shame there wasn't even a promo 45 of it, but such is the way I suppose.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx