gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:50:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great 1985 footage  (Read 6538 times)
James Hughes-Clarke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2021, 05:08:28 AM »

Some really good music on Beach Boys 85 including the very underrated Where I Belong what I consider to be their best work in the 80s by far. It's a shame there's not more footage of those sessions available to the public

Agree.  Where I Belong gets it just right, whereas much of that album always seemed a little 'forced' to me.

Hypnotise me into thinking I'm not insane
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2021, 05:15:25 AM »

Although it wasn't on the album (but seems to be on every re-release since then), I wanted to add that I love "Male Ego". Lyrics aside, the part when Brian starts singing ("Male ego is a worldwide game") with Carl (?) on background response is to me one of the most exciting (powerful) parts of the Beach Boys' singles. Just love that. So damn catchy!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:17:56 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2021, 10:29:53 PM »

Although it wasn't on the album (but seems to be on every re-release since then), I wanted to add that I love "Male Ego". Lyrics aside, the part when Brian starts singing ("Male ego is a worldwide game") with Carl (?) on background response is to me one of the most exciting (powerful) parts of the Beach Boys' singles. Just love that. So damn catchy!

Count me in as another fan of Male Ego. This one actually feels like a genuine 80s Beach Boys song written by an enthusiastic Brian Wilson.
gregcoffeymusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2021, 08:02:07 AM »

What is also worth noting is this quote from Steve:

"Brian and I would chat endlessly about this Song & Lyric Concept- …how the band would be very difficult with him when he was creating Pet Sounds…we bonded over these stories…. Producer to Producer….."

Even in previous interviews I got the feeling that Steve and Brian bonded in a way that didn't happen with other band members, perhaps because they both had the experience working as producers and creating multiple hit records (and that's a pretty exclusive club in the music biz), or just as two people who formed a friendship. It would have been nice to see what could have come from a later collaboration if that had happened on a larger scale.

But the fact they were talking about how the band was being "very difficult" with Brian during Pet Sounds (and later, of course, Smile) can be added to the group of various voices who have confirmed that this was the case at least from Brian's perspective and the outside analysis of it, and attempts to rewrite that history only look more foolish. As Steve has also said that he had issues with other Beach Boy members during these sessions, I'm guessing that topic of being "difficult" while cutting records led to the discussions of Pet Sounds, and Brian's own issues working with them back then. It would be nice to hear Steve expand on that topic a bit more without burning any bridges, although in 2021 I don't think that is as much of a concern for a lot of established musicians anymore.

Great info here! Thumbs up on hearing more from Steve on this!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2021, 11:15:15 AM »

I've often referenced a weird, unedited 1985 Westwood One interview with Brian where he discusses the album, and at one point he goes off on a tangent about Al being curt with Levine and making Levine cry.

Kinda lost for words on this one....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2021, 06:59:00 AM »

I've often referenced a weird, unedited 1985 Westwood One interview with Brian where he discusses the album, and at one point he goes off on a tangent about Al being curt with Levine and making Levine cry.

It's a truly bizarre Brian interview. He's pretty frank about the current goings-on, seems to have no problem kind of throwing Al under the bus on that story (the gist of the story from Brian as I recall was framed as Al being the d**k). Then, later in the interview the interviewer asks Brian about old tracks, and gets on the subject of the "Surf's Up" album and songs from it, and Brian bizarrely acts as if he has *no idea* what the guy is talking about, as if "I don't know what album you're talking about, I have no recollection of that album or any of those songs."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2021, 12:35:29 PM »

Count me in as another fan of Male Ego. This one actually feels like a genuine 80s Beach Boys song written by an enthusiastic Brian Wilson.

It was on the original CD pressing of the album back in 1985.  Agreed, it's a great song - one of my favorites from the album.
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2021, 12:38:28 PM »

It's a truly bizarre Brian interview. He's pretty frank about the current goings-on, seems to have no problem kind of throwing Al under the bus on that story (the gist of the story from Brian as I recall was framed as Al being the d**k).

I think it's pretty clear that Brian felt some affinity with, sympathy for and perhaps even friendship with Steve Levine over a mutual understanding of what it is/was to deal with those personalities and try to produce an album.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:40:03 PM by thetojo » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2021, 11:46:32 AM »

It's a truly bizarre Brian interview. He's pretty frank about the current goings-on, seems to have no problem kind of throwing Al under the bus on that story (the gist of the story from Brian as I recall was framed as Al being the d**k). Then, later in the interview the interviewer asks Brian about old tracks, and gets on the subject of the "Surf's Up" album and songs from it, and Brian bizarrely acts as if he has *no idea* what the guy is talking about, as if "I don't know what album you're talking about, I have no recollection of that album or any of those songs."

He did that a month or so ago when people were asking him questions on Reddit and he didn't know about Adult/Child or the Feel Flows box
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2021, 12:51:20 PM »

Well none of us know about the Reel Flows box . . . yet.
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2021, 01:10:51 PM »

He did that a month or so ago when people were asking him questions on Reddit and he didn't know about Adult/Child or the Feel Flows box

The forgetting a current/upcoming box set project, I'm not sure what to make of that, but for things like Adult/Child I'd easily believe he doesn't remember various episodes from his long career very quickly or vivdly. I get the impression that Adult/Child, while it has a dedicated cult following among some types of fans, never really grew its stature in the band mythology enough for journalists and fans to regularly ask him about it and cause him to ruminate over the decades like happened with Smile. Also, A/C was recorded shortly before the MIU retreat that Brian's previously claimed to have completely blacked out. These two album attempts were separated by a few months and a certain significant tarmac incident but is it understood if this "mental blackout" extended to before the trip to Iowa?

With the Surf's Up album, could that be another case of a generally unpleasant experience that he'd prefer to forget, or perhaps the 21st century events of BWPS and TSS led to Surf's Up being retconned into a Smile-only context in his mind? Ok, that last point seems like a stretch, but if it has anything to do with reality it might somehow relate to his thoughts on the Surf's Up related box.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2021, 01:11:29 PM »

Al and Al's voice make Crack At Your Love a hit in my house since the day it came out on the album. An album which reminded me of 20/20. The Beach Boys are back!  
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2021, 09:19:23 AM »

Al and Al's voice make Crack At Your Love a hit in my house

Yes!!

I'm gonna need a little help from above
Would ya' say "no" if I asked for your love?

Cool Guy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2021, 11:07:27 AM »

The interesting I noticed was that short clip of the BB laying down the harmonies on Passing Friend. Just the bare vocals with no processing or effects and the vocal blend sounds exactly like their 1969-70 vocal blend.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »

The interesting I noticed was that short clip of the BB laying down the harmonies on Passing Friend. Just the bare vocals with no processing or effects and the vocal blend sounds exactly like their 1969-70 vocal blend.

I recently picked up the 2003 remastered CD of Culture Club's 1984 album Waking Up With The House On Fire which includes a Passing Friend-sounding bonus track called Don't Go Down That Street. Seeing how the people doing the writing, production, and instrumentals on these were largely the same I wonder if Passing Friend was a rewrite of Don't Go Down That Street. Anyone here more knowledgeable about either song/album able to shed some light here? Passing Friend isn't really the highlight of BB85 for me but I think between these two it's the stronger song. As far as I can tell neither band has performed either song live.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2021, 01:41:48 PM »

I recently picked up the 2003 remastered CD of Culture Club's 1984 album Waking Up With The House On Fire which includes a Passing Friend-sounding bonus track called Don't Go Down That Street. Seeing how the people doing the writing, production, and instrumentals on these were largely the same I wonder if Passing Friend was a rewrite of Don't Go Down That Street. Anyone here more knowledgeable about either song/album able to shed some light here? Passing Friend isn't really the highlight of BB85 for me but I think between these two it's the stronger song. As far as I can tell neither band has performed either song live.

I can definitely hear the similarities - you're onto something there.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx