gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:24:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any infos on Ron Brown?  (Read 2027 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2021, 08:57:17 AM »

Along with Daryl Dragon, Ron Brown was the first musician the Beach Boys added to their live band. He played bass and percussion, I believe. But he soon was gone. I couldn't find any infos about him. How got he in the Boys' band, why did he leave, and was he ever interviewed about his Beach Boys days? Thanks for any help

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 11:04:13 AM »

Rob Brown remains pretty elusive.  A little is known about his background, but to my knowledge he never did any major interviews.  Even his credits on records are a spottier than we'd like.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 11:22:33 AM »

I'd love to know more if anyone finds anything. Ron's an interesting anomaly for the frequent studio work he did over about a month followed by... nothing at all. It feels noteworthy that he was playing on records at that early stage while Daryl Dragon seemingly wasn't for another year.

What do we know for sure about his involvement, session-wise? Darlin' and Time to Get Alone (via AFM), I Was Made to Love Her (via Bruce), probably Here Comes the Night going only by the sound of it, and I would assume Lonely Days for that reason too. Carl's bass playing on the basic track clearly isn't what survived to the master. Likewise Honey Get Home for the tone, and possibly that Been Way Too Long organ tag. Cool Water shares a date with HCTN but could just as easily be Carl.

Have Bruce or any of the others spoken about how/why he came to play on those tracks?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:23:42 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 01:31:58 PM »

Wasn't he bass on the 1967 Thanksgiving tour ... as documented on the A Vocal Element boot?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 01:58:52 PM »

Wasn't he bass on the 1967 Thanksgiving tour ... as documented on the A Vocal Element boot?

Yeah, he was on the road with them for, what a year?  I've always hypothesized that he ended up playing on the stuff that he did in the studio simply because he was there already for combined recording/rehearsal time or something.  And then either he left the touring group and then sort of by default stopped recording for them, OR it just so happened that Brian felt like inviting his old pals back like Jimmy and Lyle around the time they start showing up on Friends.  Pretty difficult to pin down.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »

I'd love to know more if anyone finds anything. Ron's an interesting anomaly for the frequent studio work he did over about a month followed by... nothing at all. It feels noteworthy that he was playing on records at that early stage while Daryl Dragon seemingly wasn't for another year.

What do we know for sure about his involvement, session-wise? Darlin' and Time to Get Alone (via AFM), I Was Made to Love Her (via Bruce), probably Here Comes the Night going only by the sound of it, and I would assume Lonely Days for that reason too. Carl's bass playing on the basic track clearly isn't what survived to the master. Likewise Honey Get Home for the tone, and possibly that Been Way Too Long organ tag. Cool Water shares a date with HCTN but could just as easily be Carl.

Have Bruce or any of the others spoken about how/why he came to play on those tracks?

In his 2017 WH sessionography (from the ESQ that I’ve misplaced), c-man credited HCTN to Ron Brown. The others I don’t know obviously, other than c-man credits CCW to Carl. I’ve always had a hard time hearing a bass (that wasn’t a Moog) on CCW.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 01:39:14 AM »

I think he's also at the UNICEF gala from December 1967:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgIscI9NL_Y

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 05:18:32 AM »

I think he's also at the UNICEF gala from December 1967:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgIscI9NL_Y

Yes, with Joe Sample on piano.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 05:20:06 AM »

In his 2017 WH sessionography (from the ESQ that I’ve misplaced), c-man credited HCTN to Ron Brown. The others I don’t know obviously, other than c-man credits CCW to Carl. I’ve always had a hard time hearing a bass (that wasn’t a Moog) on CCW.

I believe the way I worded the HCTN credits was: Basic track was piano (Brian), probably with overdubs of bass (Ron Brown), guitar (Carl), and drums (Dennis)
The "probably" is there because we can't be certain, but that's what it sounds like. Smiley
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 10:28:36 PM »

I have nothing to add except that his bass playing elevates the Wild Honey album from a 4 to a 4.5 for me. Here Comes the Night is a pretty basic song but the bass on that is just killer
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 01:34:49 AM »

I have nothing to add except that his bass playing elevates the Wild Honey album from a 4 to a 4.5 for me. Here Comes the Night is a pretty basic song but the bass on that is just killer

Yes, same here. That sound of his is awesome.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 09:19:20 PM »

I believe the way I worded the HCTN credits was: Basic track was piano (Brian), probably with overdubs of bass (Ron Brown), guitar (Carl), and drums (Dennis)
The "probably" is there because we can't be certain, but that's what it sounds like. Smiley

Sorry to put words in your mouth, or post, c-man. I’m just too eager to spread your work around!! And I also couldn’t entirely remember because like I said, I misplaced that issue and can’t figure out where I put it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx