gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:29:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Research Project - Recommendations?  (Read 1985 times)
echomatic
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2021, 09:47:44 AM »

Hi,

Long-time Smiley Smile Board lurker here, coming out of lurk mode to ask for some help.

I am currently researching the recording sessions for Smile for a personal project. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a while, and now have the time. The goal is to assemble (or re-assemble) the recording session data in a way that makes sense to me (visually). I’ve been using the following:

Books/Articles
The Beach Boys : Stage and Studio Diary - Badman
Smile Sessions box 2011 “Sessionography” - Slowinski and Boyd
Smile Chronological Sessionography (2015) - Heiser

Audio
Smile Sessions box 2011
S.O.T. Unsurpassed Masters v. 17

Are there other books, or recordings similar to the ones above, that you could recommend?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thank You!!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 11:16:14 AM »

You should look into a 2cd boot called "Secret Smile" which kind of covers off a little bit of stuff that wasn't on the SoT one.
echomatic
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 11:59:56 AM »

You should look into a 2cd boot called "Secret Smile" which kind of covers off a little bit of stuff that wasn't on the SoT one.

Great! Thanks for that suggestion.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 12:20:36 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:04:19 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 01:10:25 PM »

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them elsewhere.

Elsewhere? Why not answer any questions from the original poster in this thread?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
echomatic
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 01:14:08 PM »

I wouldn't touch Badman with a ten foot pole, and I don't think that Heiser document is particularly accurate either. The author seems to have misinterpreted some of the details.

The Smile Sessions book is by far the most trustworthy authority, although inevitably imperfect in places, as any first official attempt to compile this sort of information to a deadline would be. Beyond that, I can only recommend close listening and seeking out primary sources.

Bellagio maps out a handy timeline, although again not perfect: http://www.bellagio10452.com/gigs66.html

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to try and answer them elsewhere.

Good to know. I had a feeling that the Smile community here, would know which references/books are not as accurate. I do plan on trusting my ears for a lot of the info. Thanks for your offer answer specific questions.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 01:17:38 PM »

I second the suggestion to seek out the Secret Smile material, as well as one called "Heroes And Villains Sessions" (unless all of that made it to the box set, which I just don't remember if it did).

And grab a copy of Look Listen Vibrate Smile if you can just to supplement the research, it's a great document and scrapbook of what was going on around Smile at the time.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 01:26:06 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:04:24 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
echomatic
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 02:38:27 PM »

I second the suggestion to seek out the Secret Smile material, as well as one called "Heroes And Villains Sessions" (unless all of that made it to the box set, which I just don't remember if it did).

And grab a copy of Look Listen Vibrate Smile if you can just to supplement the research, it's a great document and scrapbook of what was going on around Smile at the time.

Thanks guitarfool. Found Secret Smile, and will check on H&V Sessions.

I have a copy of Look Listen Vibrate Smile and agree - it is a great scrapbook.
zaval80
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 05:17:38 PM »

Are there other books, or recordings similar to the ones above, that you could recommend?

Thank You!!
This thread:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11250.0.html
echomatic
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2021, 09:41:35 AM »

Thank You!!
This thread:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,11250.0.html

Fantastic! Thanks for the link, Zaval80!
I previously searched the Smiley board for something like this, and was unsuccessful. This is perfect.

echomatic
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your suggestions and comments.
I have some more work to do on this project and will probably have a few questions later if I get stuck, or confused (yeah, I know. Confusion is part of the Smile story).

Very Extremely Dan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 06:55:44 AM »

I would strongly recommend the Sail On podcast.  They're about to move on to Smiley Smile but the nine episodes covering SMiLE are gold!
echomatic
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 12:06:15 PM »

I would strongly recommend the Sail On podcast.  They're about to move on to Smiley Smile but the nine episodes covering SMiLE are gold!

Thanks Dan. I'm a big fan of the Sail On podcast, as well. The 9 episodes on Smile are DEFINITELY going to be part of my research!

The two guests that Wyatt uses on these episodes know their Smile-stuff. 
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »

Thanks Dan. I'm a big fan of the Sail On podcast, as well. The 9 episodes on Smile are DEFINITELY going to be part of my research!

The two guests that Wyatt uses on these episodes know their Smile-stuff. 
Some might say they know a little too much...

It’s utterly fascinating though.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx