gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:05:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys History In Boston?  (Read 1232 times)
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2021, 07:32:33 AM »

Sometimes its fun to map and explore band history locations, as I'm sure many Beach Boys fans living in or visiting Southern California have done. Living in Boston I was able to come up with a map for the band Drop Nineteens but after reading "The Lost Beach Boy" and "Good Vibrations: My Life As A Beach Boy" it seems like there's at least some Beach Boys lore spread across town. Does anyone have recommendations for Beach Boys history related points of interest around Boston?

For starters:

Appeal To The Great Spirit (Brother Records logo inspiration) - Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway
David Marks' 1970's apartment - Commonwealth Avenue, Back Bay
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:48:50 AM by Occasional grilled cheese » Logged

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »

It's been years since I've been back - I mean properly staying in and exploring the city. The last time was a road trip for Brian's Smile performance, which was overwhelming and unforgettable. But from what I've heard, many of the places I used to know back in the day are gone, and a lot of the areas with some original gritty character left standing when I was there have been given a shiny corporate makeover, and sadly that included getting rid of many if not all of my go-to bars/pubs and late-night junk food hangout haunts.

Beach Boys connections? The one most obvious:

And anyone should do what I did on an earlier 2003 road trip return to Boston: Park illegally on the street, jump out and snap photos, and get back in the car!  Grin
Having lived there for 7-8 years both at Berklee and working there in town afterward, I realized I had never gotten a photo of that iconic statue, even though I was previously a member of the MFA and would go there regularly with my pass. So I said now's the time, and drove the car up there leaving town after the BW gig to snag the photos. BTW just down the road from MFA, close to Northeastern was a favorite pool hall where we'd go to shoot some stick and hang out...I'm sure that's gone now too.

Almost 18 years later and 25-30 pounds lighter:

Then there was the warm June night in 1999 when if you were standing in the right place you got to see this musical genius walk by on a side street just off Mass Ave, smiling and waving to a group of fans:

I'm still not fully over that experience, at Symphony Hall no less, and it truly was the impossible becoming a reality. I've written about it before, but here's what another audience member Al Kooper had to say about it: http://www.alkooper.com/diary-1999-brian-wilson.html

Yes, it was that good.

Bonus points for identifying yet another place and time when someone in the right place could grab a candid shot of that musical genius entering a stretch limo at night after a gig:

Any guesses where that was taken?  Smiley

Going back to the old places that no longer exist, a lot of venues where the Beach Boys played have been torn down or replaced, so I don't know how much of the old history still exists. The outdoor gig in the 70's, anyone can go to the Commons to walk around but it really isn't BB-specific other than that they played a big show there.

Then there's David Marks and Berklee, his apartment has already been listed but at that time David was attending, Berklee I believe had taken up residence mostly at 1140 Boylston for classes and recitals, I'd have to research when they took over 150 Mass Ave as dorms, classrooms, and the Performance Center (BPC), but I think it was a few years after David had left, in the mid-70's.

Sorry I couldn't give more specifics, all the record shops I used to go for the good unreleased BB session material on CD and dubbed cassettes are probably gone too and not BB's related anyway, but I'm curious to see if you can dig up more!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:31:01 AM »

Sorry I couldn't give more specifics, all the record shops I used to go for the good unreleased BB session material on CD and dubbed cassettes are probably gone too and not BB's related anyway, but I'm curious to see if you can dig up more!

Planet Records in Cambridge and In Your Ear at Boston University seem to be good spots for Beach Boys stuff these days, especially the former for unreleased material on CD. In Your Ear's the only place I've ever seen an original Stack O Tracks LP. Price was somewhat reasonable but I'd rather get one in better condition. They might even still have it.

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
Very Extremely Dan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 03:41:06 PM »

Aren't the pictures in the SMiLE booklet from Boston Harbor and Boston Common?  I wonder where the "backstage" shots are from? 
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 04:32:52 PM »

Tower Records, near the back bay....some great times spent there!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx